The Cheapo Way for Beating Fungus to your Lens

@ limwsv ........... Guess it's back to the drawing board ......... :p

I am not at home at the moment, so, I can not post a photo. I bought half a meter adhesive bright white LED stripe form 3rd floor Sim Lim Tower, the shop straight ahead from the escalator . I also bought a small LED power supply.Cost me all together around 15 or 20 $ , can't remember exactly. I cut the stripe into 3 pieces, and glued them into the 3 shelf levels in the cabinet. I also drilled a hole in the back for the cable to the power supply, which I sealed with silicone. Power consumption of the LEDs is really low , only 2 to 3 watt.

I am not at home at the moment, so, I can not post a photo. I bought half a meter adhesive bright white LED stripe form 3rd floor Sim Lim Tower, the shop straight ahead from the escalator . I also bought a small LED power supply.Cost me all together around 15 or 20 $ , can't remember exactly. I cut the stripe into 3 pieces, and glued them into the 3 shelf levels in the cabinet. I also drilled a hole in the back for the cable to the power supply, which I sealed with silicone. Power consumption of the LEDs is really low , only 2 to 3 watt.

Does the LED really help in preventing fungus? I had a dry cabinet with built-in LED but I never switched on the LED.

Yeah of coz our SG weather is bad, with high humidity, fungus would strive happily.

Having said this, it will be that we take out the lenses and use them once a while.

Even if u are not shooting, leave the lenses under the sun for a while, would keep the fungus away.

How could u even leave lenses untouched for 3 years???

Do u leave your watches untouched for 3 years and still find them working well??

Yes, I had some lenses that I did not use for a long time . Lucky for me, those where not my good lenses ;-)

Yeah of coz our SG weather is bad, with high humidity, fungus would strive happily.

Having said this, it will be that we take out the lenses and use them once a while.

Even if u are not shooting, leave the lenses under the sun for a while, would keep the fungus away.

How could u even leave lenses untouched for 3 years???

Do u leave your watches untouched for 3 years and still find them working well??

its not THAT unusual... collectors do that all the time. and stored properly, there's no reason why they won't work properly, both lenses AND watches.

It will work for sure, just that its rather troublesome.

Easier way, ziploc bag, a few packets of desiccant from tidbits packet (eg. Japanese rice crackers).
Put camera inside with the desiccants > purge out as much air as possible > seal bag

It will work in the field w/o access to a dry cab, but will still be too troublesome in the long term.

UV light would be better to kill fungus. I'm not sure those white LEDs give off that much UV compared to sunlight. I've considered installing UV lights but the catch is that UV cracks rubber and plastic, so it's a damned if you, damned if you don't problem. Sunning lenses now and then is probably the best but have to watch out for rain :)

UV light would be better to kill fungus. I'm not sure those white LEDs give off that much UV compared to sunlight. I've considered installing UV lights but the catch is that UV cracks rubber and plastic, so it's a damned if you, damned if you don't problem. Sunning lenses now and then is probably the best but have to watch out for rain :)

Yes, the rubber / plastics issue is exactly the point. I wanted to put UV light, but after considering this point , I decided to put normal whit ( almost zero UV) led. Mold also does't like light, and needs dark humid warm places to grow. I now cut out 2 of 3 ....no, I have no intention to cool down my dry cabinet. ;)

got picture to show your dry cabinet?

I'm using the Aipo 48EX. Their Series B dry cabinets comes with LED light and there's a distributor in the MO section. Below is a link with the pictures and information:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/mass-sales/716073-aipo-dry-cabinet-distributor-singapore.html

Personally, i always thought that the LED lights is only meant to light up the interior of the cabinet. There is simply no logic as to how they help to prevent fungus.

I'm using the Aipo 48EX. Their Series B dry cabinets comes with LED light and there's a distributor in the MO section. Below is a link with the pictures and information:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/mass-sales/716073-aipo-dry-cabinet-distributor-singapore.html

Personally, i always thought that the LED lights is only meant to light up the interior of the cabinet. There is simply no logic as to how they help to prevent fungus.

thanks! will consider this dry cabinet when i upgrade my existing one. :)

Once a month, on a mid sunny day, take out all your lens and let the sun shine thru them for a minute or two.

I actually cover my dry cabinets with black paper despite knowing the fact - don't want visitors to see what stuff I got - avoid theft, avoid request to see, touch, etc.

So I take them out pretty often to air and sun them.

erm... put in your favourite + expensive lens into your proposed device. Let us know what happened to your lens 6 months later.

sjackal said:
Once a month, on a mid sunny day, take out all your lens and let the sun shine thru them for a minute or two.

I actually cover my dry cabinets with black paper despite knowing the fact - don't want visitors to see what stuff I got - avoid theft, avoid request to see, touch, etc.

So I take them out pretty often to air and sun them.

Yeah, that's what I advocate too

Once a while, must take out and sun tan. Not to keep in a dry cabinet for 3 years.....

@ limwsv ........... Guess it's back to the drawing board ......... :p

Thanks for all the fun post. Did not really expect to elictate so much response :eek:

Anyway, have to scrotch the idea. No not because what's said here. (I believe in data from properly conducted experiments, instead of hearsay).
But Canon Support came back and reveal warranty is good only if
(1) Lens must be kept within 0' - 40'. So constant exposure at Mt Himalayas and Gobi Desert is out.
(2) Lens must be kept within RH 40% - 60%. So vaccum trick not going to work since I won't be able ensure humidity levels.

Hmm... having said all that... must go and check up on growth conditions of fungus .... and further along that line, type/family of fungus that grows on optical equipment.
Probably a paper to be written in that area :D

Also... interesting question is whether is it absolute humidity is important to growth or just relative humidity. Some of the responses does not seems to distingish between the two. 10% oxygen is what we need to breathe, but 10% oxygen in 1/2 atmospheric pressure is a slow way to die. ;)

detritus said:
its not THAT unusual... collectors do that all the time. and stored properly, there's no reason why they won't work properly, both lenses AND watches.

It is unusual coz those who keep for 3 yrs without taking them out.

Even wine collectors take out the bottles to look at the conditions once a while

It is unusual coz those who keep for 3 yrs without taking them out.

Even wine collectors take out the bottles to look at the conditions once a while

i'll keep to the topic and limit the discussion response to camera lenses :)

picture someone in his 50s or 60s today, who has been playing with cameras since he was in his 20s. over the years, he had collected different bodies, old lenses, legacy lenses from obsolete mounts.

not everything has been sold, some have sentimental values, some can still be used with adaptors and some do end up being forgotten / kept away for a long time.

thats why i say: nothing unusual.

Time to revivify the thread.

See below URL for more info about lifecycle of fungus.... bad news for everyone... the fungi family grows in every conceivable environment... including ... gasp :faint::faint:... 40% - 60% RH.
All it need is a substratum of organic materials... our sweat, fingerprints, minute spittle plus oxygen plus water to start.

Biology of Fungi

Time to revivify the thread.

See below URL for more info about lifecycle of fungus.... bad news for everyone... the fungi family grows in every conceivable environment... including ... gasp :faint::faint:... 40% - 60% RH.
All it need is a substratum of organic materials... our sweat, fingerprints, minute spittle plus oxygen plus water to start.

Biology of Fungi

They are coming in throngs, there is not stopping them..

Would wiping the equipment after use help?