The Cheapo Way for Beating Fungus to your Lens

Get a dry cabinet esp for SGP humidity, you really don't want to take chances on your equipment. You could get a small one (like a 30L) if you can't afford bigger ones. It's not very high power consumption, only 4 Watts.

All I can say is good luck to your gears!

maybe in a pinch, you can try that as a temporary solution. but in terms of economy, practicality and for the sake of your sanity :bsmilie:, get a dry cabinet

(1) Humidity is water in the air.
(2) No air = No water

- Put camera and lens in locknlock vacuum bag.
- Suck out as much of the air as possible.
- Voila, don't think fungus can grow in partial vacuum and low humidity.

Good if a vacuum can be created. If partial, the humidity is the same.

the cheapest way is to use your lenses and camera. those fungus grow well in stagnant air. :)

Er. I use drybox with Cheap Hungry Hippo. The humidity meter sez Low. Shld be ok rite?

Yup.. dry box with thirsty hippo should be ok..

As for using the vacuum, if you use a partial vacuum, it means there is still air in the bag. Relative humidity refers to a percentage of water vapour in the air. My feel is that whether out in the air or a semi-vacuum, the R.H stays the same.

kor69 said:
Er. I use drybox with Cheap Hungry Hippo. The humidity meter sez Low. Shld be ok rite?

If RH is too low, the lubricants will dry up and it might also damage the rubber parts of your gear..
Look in your camera manual for the recommended storage conditions..
Most people keep a RH of 45-55%..
Like most have mentioned here, get a dry cabinet, save all the woes :)

The optimal levels for cameras and lenses is actually 35% to 45%.

55% is a bit too high but acceptable.

Below 30% is no good either coz another type of fungus grows in that zone and rubber parts harden and cracks faster.

I keep the two dry cabinets holding DSLR gear at about 40%. Another dry cabinet I have holding the older medium format and film gears, I keep it around 45%.

Modern gear tends to have less lubricants, or higher tech non organic lubricants that are less susceptible to drying up

Come on, one dry cab costs less than a handphone.

How many times a person change the HP?

The dry cab lasts much much longer than any Hp......

Do the sums......

I definitely wont waste my time and effort doing these kind of things..to save that little money..heard of opportunity cost?
Come on a dry cabinet is only what..$100-120?

If money is an issue..then just try to minimize your spending on entertainment/food.
Having said that..if you think its still ok.. Well, nothing wrong too. But you have been warn..if your gear got fungus..the repair will be costly. (maybe more than a dry cabinet.)

Last edited:
I once paid $130++ to clean a fungus "infection", not worth it. Get a Dry cabi and save all the trouble and hassle.

Guys,

give the guy a break. He/she suggested what he/she thought is something that can work. No need to kill him/her, just advise why it's a bad idea.

I once paid $130++ to clean a fungus "infection", not worth it. Get a Dry cabi and save all the trouble and hassle.

i recently also send my lens to cleaning...got a small dot of fungus....using the air tight container silica gel combo...learned my lesson. dry cabinet is the way to go. just bought the lens few months ago and kena liaw.

I had 2 cases of lens fungus INSIDE A WELL WORKING DRY CABINET, in the last 3 years. Yes, thats the case. I spoke to several experts about this, and it is true, dry cabinets are not a 100% protection. I now changed to the process of dry air+ light. I equipped my dry cabinets with LED lighting on all levels , and remove the front and rear cap of my lenses.

I had 2 cases of lens fungus INSIDE A WELL WORKING DRY CABINET, in the last 3 years. Yes, thats the case. I spoke to several experts about this, and it is true, dry cabinets are not a 100% protection. I now changed to the process of dry air+ light. I equipped my dry cabinets with LED lighting on all levels , and remove the front and rear cap of my lenses.

i've been using my dry cabinet for the past 10yrs+. the humidity level is always at around 50.

nvr had such an issue as described by you.

maybe ur dry cabinet is not working well? or maybe the reading meter is faulty?

I also have dry cabinets since I moved to Singapore 13 years ago. After the first incident ( about 3 years ago), I checked the humidity level, it was ok at around 40% . Built in meter working correctly. I cleaned the dry cabinet inside with alcohol, and also cleaned lenses and other equipment as good as possible. Now, 3 years later, I had the second case. I talked to an lens expert form one OEM manufacturer, who told me that this is not uncommon, specially if the lens is closed ( front and rear cap) and it is not used for a long time ( the lens with the fungus was standing in there for around 3 to 4 years without usage) . So, the combination of dry air and light gives some extra protection. At least, that was the advise I got . I will find out one day.
Other countries do not have this problem. I am in germany at the moment and found 2 old cameras in the basement of my house ...I mean , old, between 60 and 80 years . The where just packed in a shoe box, and must have been there for at least 40 years untouched.....not a slightest sign of fungus . Singapore weather is really bad for camera equipment.

I also have dry cabinets since I moved to Singapore 13 years ago. After the first incident ( about 3 years ago), I checked the humidity level, it was ok at around 40% . Built in meter working correctly. I cleaned the dry cabinet inside with alcohol, and also cleaned lenses and other equipment as good as possible. Now, 3 years later, I had the second case. I talked to an lens expert form one OEM manufacturer, who told me that this is not uncommon, specially if the lens is closed ( front and rear cap) and it is not used for a long time ( the lens with the fungus was standing in there for around 3 to 4 years without usage) . So, the combination of dry air and light gives some extra protection. At least, that was the advise I got . I will find out one day.
Other countries do not have this problem. I am in germany at the moment and found 2 old cameras in the basement of my house ...I mean , old, between 60 and 80 years . The where just packed in a shoe box, and must have been there for at least 40 years untouched.....not a slightest sign of fungus . Singapore weather is really bad for camera equipment.

keep us updated, thanks!

thanks for the great information.

i mostly shoot during weekends only. guess i should periodically bring out my equipments to check as well.

possible to show a photo how u added LED to your dry cabinet? your LED running on batteries?

i have a tendency to remove my front/rear caps as well when my lenses comes in contact with rain or water then store for 1 day before putting it back on (cos afraid that the lubricants may dry up faster if i leave the lenses uncapped).

Last edited: