The BEST lenses for the D800 / D800E

Dfive

Nov 20, 2008
Singapore lah....
www.clubsnap.com
DxOMark - Nikon D800 and standard lens choices

The BEST lenses for the D800 / D800E - See link... "according to DXO Mark" these are the best to get max use out of the Sensor.

Agree? ... Excluding note below, what else do you think and why ?

DXO Mark note :
The Nikon D800 and telephoto lens & super-zooms choices (to be published on March 22, 2013)
The Nikon D800 and wide-angle choices (to be published on March 25,2013)

Last edited:
What are your favourite lenses on the D800.... you can pick two only ;) all brands.

For me its the : NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4G and the NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G ( my two keeper lenses )

200mm f2 and the 85mm f1.4.

I put it in a combo of 24~70f2.8 & 85f1.4

DxOMark - The Nikon D800 and telephoto lenses

Part 2 for DXO Mark is now out - see LINK.

The top 3 are :

1. Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
2. Nikon AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED
3. Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO

Next week is the ultra wide and wide angle lenses ;)

Not tested is the latest version of the 70-200mm VR II.

DxOMark - The Nikon D800 and wide-angle lenses

The best Ultra wides PRIME lenses :

1. Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/15 ZF.2 Nikon ( a real performer )
2. Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG ASP RF Nikon
3. Carl Zeiss Distagon T 21mm f/2.8 ZF2 Nikon

The Best wide angle PRIME lenses :

1. Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM A Nikon by a long mile
2. Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED ( my favorite )
3. Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Nikon
4. Carl Zeiss Distagon T 35mm f/1.4 ZF2 Nikon
( 2-4 got equal scores. )

The Best wide ZOOMS : ( all are far lower than the primes above - want wide n sharp!!! Get A prime !! )

1. Tokina AT-X 16-28 F2.8 PRO FX Nikon
2. Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
3. Nikon AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED

DXO Mark note - the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 AF-S NIKKOR G is not yet available on dxomark.com and should also be considered for wide angle zoom selection. Measurement should be available in may on dxomark.com.

Last edited:
I got the distagon 15mm to replace my 14-24mm because it was lighter and easier to carry around. While its good and meet my needs, I feel that it wasn't revolutionary like the 14-24mm. Neither is the optics extraordinary. It just work, that's all. Zeiss has been making distagon 15mm longer than I've lived. No excuses for them to fail really.

The sigma 35mm is great. Got a copy too. I hope this will be the standard for other sigma lenses to follow from now on. Not a one-off wonder.

I got the distagon 15mm to replace my 14-24mm because it was lighter and easier to carry around. While its good and meet my needs, I feel that it wasn't revolutionary like the 14-24mm. Neither is the optics extraordinary. It just work, that's all. Zeiss has been making distagon 15mm longer than I've lived. No excuses for them to fail really.

The sigma 35mm is great. Got a copy too. I hope this will be the standard for other sigma lenses to follow from now on. Not a one-off wonder.

I'm hoping for that too. The next launch is the 120-300mm f/2.8. If sigma did the same wonder on this lens again, it's high time for C/N to look into their R&D again :)

and price tags too..... the 35mm is creaming lenses 2x its price.

Very true... in fact Sigma Marketing was mad for not selling this for $200 more... they would of still sold them easily !! :) and Still a bargain for offering Medium Format quality.;)

Very true... in fact Sigma Marketing was mad for not selling this for $200 more... they would of still sold them easily !! :) and Still a bargain for offering Medium Format quality.;)

Need to sell it at an affordable price so as to entice more photographers into splashing the dough on this lens.

They know tat they haf a winner and till today, still relatively trouble-free less some AF issue, they are probably trying to win a bigger market share and to instil greater confidence in their new wave of products.

We can see the effort they put into their marketing and rebranding of lenses. Thus far, i would say tat they haf been very successful in capturing marketshare and awareness. They haf also upped the ante against OEMs such as Nikon n Canon.

If they can maintain their quality, they are definitely going to provide fantastic alternatives for all photographers.

If their 50mm, 85mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm can match that of N and C, consumer like us will be very happy, wallet saver..... heeee

Last edited:
N-user said:
If their 50mm, 85mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm can match that of N and C, consumer like us will be very happy, wallet saver..... heeee

Their 85mm was already rated better by many I think..

DxOMark - The Nikon D800 and wide-angle lenses

Nikkor 14-24mm Nikkor DXO Mark Test is out.... takes top spot for ZOOM Lenses.... some PRIMES are still better though.

Top 3 Wide ZOOMS are :

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED 28 < DXO Score
Tokina AT-X 16-28 F2.8 PRO FX Nikon 24
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR 23

# Note - The 14-24mm Nikkor is sharpest at 16mm ack to DXO Mark tests. !!

Top Wide PRIMES are :

Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM A Nikon 39 < DXO Score
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED 34
Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Nikon 34
Carl Zeiss Distagon T 35mm f/1.4 ZF2 Nikon 34

# Note - the top 8 Wide PRIMES are equal or better than the 14-24mm Nikkor ack to DXO Mark tests.

Last edited:
I would have thought the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.4 would have fared better.