The BEST lenses for the D800 / D800E

Most of the photos were taken at f/11. I've done some shots taken at f/2.8 and did not detect any significant fall in image quality across the frame. To be honest, the 14-24mm is the first and only UWA zoom I've used which is so consistent.

Compared to the newer and cheaper 18-35mm f3.5-4.5, does the 14-24mm still triumph in terms of IQ and sharpness?

Compared to the newer and cheaper 18-35mm f3.5-4.5, does the 14-24mm still triumph in terms of IQ and sharpness?

Don't know. Haven't used the 18-35mm before. Some are saying that the 16-35mm f/4 is already comparable to the 14-24mm. However, having extra 2mm at the wider end already worth its weight in gold if you need it.

If its good enough for the D800e, then its good enough for any camera in the lineup. Essentially, they are asking you to buy their most expensive lenses. I'd advise to look beyond that and buy what you need. It could be the sharpest lens around but if its not what you need, you are not going to use it.

Yup been around for a while.

The DXO Mark also looks at other brands - more fair perhaps.

( Nikon's is just to convince you to spend more on there product and also says that 3/4 of their lens product is no good for THIER OWN CAMERA ! )

If its good enough for the D800e, then its good enough for any camera in the lineup. Essentially, they are asking you to buy their most expensive lenses. I'd advise to look beyond that and buy what you need. It could be the sharpest lens around but if its not what you need, you are not going to use it.

so agree...

Most of the photos were taken at f/11. I've done some shots taken at f/2.8 and did not detect any significant fall in image quality across the frame. To be honest, the 14-24mm is the first and only UWA zoom I've used which is so consistent.

Thanks for sharing. I need to really try w my fren's lens.