Teachers Sponsoring Education

Status
Not open for further replies.
lavenderlilz said:
When my mum was still teaching, kids used to give her red and blue pens on Teacher's Day. ;p

if i'm the kid... i'll buy them only black pens... or blue pens... no red pens... cos then they won't get a chance to write that big red 0 on my report book... :bsmilie:

If the kids love you - they will buy you the red pens for Teacher's Day. No need to worry about supply running out and coming up with your own money :bsmilie:

lavenderlilz said:
If the kids love you - they will buy you the red pens for Teacher's Day. No need to worry about supply running out and coming up with your own money :bsmilie:

Hahahah... Love your remark... But you really have captured the spirit behind teaching... Everything's worth it when your students appreciate what u do for them...

Cheers... :bsmilie:

Jia Wang said:
If it's all about a good 'net' income, then u are missing out the big picture of what education is all about... If everything that an educator does is quantifiable, then this so-called net income will be negligible...

The serious ones in the profession sees teaching as a calling... lot's of giving of oneself... it's cliche to say it, but that's what it is... ;)
If teaching is a "calling", then why all those fuss about claiming expenses (except big-expenses)?

tsdh said:
If teaching is a "calling", then why all those fuss about claiming expenses (except big-expenses)?

My sentiments exactly... take a look at who are the ones who 'kicked up' the fuss...

Cheers... To each his own... :bsmilie:

Well, vince is querying abt some coffeeshop talk and verifying if the rumours are true.

If everyone worked for the sake of money alone, I dun dare to imagine the future of Singapore. Some jobs in the civil service ARE a calling to something greater. Unfortunately, not many know and not all appreciates it. :(

A more balanced view :) Thanks. Not sure why there are veiled personal attacks around though.

Anyway so far it looks like the rumours are true - that teachers are indeed expected to pay for purchase of consumables necessary for work. The only question is whether the people in question mind or do not mind the additional expense.

Niki did provide a seeming divergence from the rumours as for his/her case, some items appear to be claimable - maybe there is more than it meets the eye - or there is just inconsistency in policy across the board.

Those who find it acceptable will find it as a necessary part of a "calling" and may indeed extol this virtue - those who do not find it acceptable is not likely to say anything here as they dont want to appear mercenary now that there are those who have taken the noble stand.

By the way, just for information, other rumours in the coffeeshop shows that an informal poll (which should be taken cautiously) shows that other members of the Civil Service or statutory boards do not have to pay for their own stationery - these are provided.

jsbn said:
Well, vince is querying abt some coffeeshop talk and verifying if the rumours are true.

If everyone worked for the sake of money alone, I dun dare to imagine the future of Singapore. Some jobs in the civil service ARE a calling to something greater. Unfortunately, not many know and not all appreciates it. :(

vince123123 said:
A more balanced view :) Thanks. Not sure why there are veiled personal attacks around though.

Anyway so far it looks like the rumours are true - that teachers are indeed expected to pay for purchase of consumables necessary for work. The only question is whether the people in question mind or do not mind the additional expense.

Niki did provide a seeming divergence from the rumours as for his/her case, some items appear to be claimable - maybe there is more than it meets the eye - or there is just inconsistency in policy across the board.

Those who find it acceptable will find it as a necessary part of a "calling" and may indeed extol this virtue - those who do not find it acceptable is not likely to say anything here as they dont want to appear mercenary now that there are those who have taken the noble stand.

By the way, just for information, other rumours in the coffeeshop shows that an informal poll (which should be taken cautiously) shows that other members of the Civil Service or statutory boards do not have to pay for their own stationery - these are provided.

brudder, u trying to dry some dirty linen in public issit? ;p

anyway, i think all depends on the schools as well... (i dun work in MOE, paiseh or even any affiliation) but i do understand that schools have budgets, if they dun, they can get from students, either from parent's sponsorship or watever you call it, its there all these while but nobody notice, esp the locals, during my secondary school days, i remember every year, target is the foreign students, we are 'encouraged' to donate to the year book, either per page or per 1/4 page, den students who often get clashes with schools and 'wish' to remain will 'donate' more... den also, if we break any minor offense, we just 'donate' a table, chair, bench, pc, etc... u get the flow... so school will get more reserves... paiseh, if MOE wanna pursue, i think its like 10 years ago... invoice throw dunno where liao... oh ya... its not we buy to give school, we give cash den school give receipt...

Heh, no lah, just wondering whether it is really true - I'm not sure that it can be described as dirty linen as so far, the responses indicate that no one finds it dirty.

I think almost every school have donation schemes hehe - last time I also got a lot of such things - I didn't know that donations can get students out of trouble though :p

A new thing learnt every day hehe :)

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
brudder, u trying to dry some dirty linen in public issit? ;p

anyway, i think all depends on the schools as well... (i dun work in MOE, paiseh or even any affiliation) but i do understand that schools have budgets, if they dun, they can get from students, either from parent's sponsorship or watever you call it, its there all these while but nobody notice, esp the locals, during my secondary school days, i remember every year, target is the foreign students, we are 'encouraged' to donate to the year book, either per page or per 1/4 page, den students who often get clashes with schools and 'wish' to remain will 'donate' more... den also, if we break any minor offense, we just 'donate' a table, chair, bench, pc, etc... u get the flow... so school will get more reserves... paiseh, if MOE wanna pursue, i think its like 10 years ago... invoice throw dunno where liao... oh ya... its not we buy to give school, we give cash den school give receipt...

vince123123 said:
Heh, no lah, just wondering whether it is really true - I'm not sure that it can be described as dirty linen as so far, the responses indicate that no one finds it dirty.

I think almost every school have donation schemes hehe - last time I also got a lot of such things - I didn't know that donations can get students out of trouble though :p

A new thing learnt every day hehe :)

can lah, i got 3 suspension, and 1 expel within 1 hour and its about 2 weeks from start of the school year, den within another hour, all dismissed with a cheque... *can't disclose the amount thou... and it happen for like almost regularly...

come to think about it.. its rather ridiculous way to find trouble with me...

Hmm are you saying that the charges were "trumped up" so that they can be dismissed with payment? Innovative way to get donations hehe.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
can lah, i got 3 suspension, and 1 expel within 1 hour and its about 2 weeks from start of the school year, den within another hour, all dismissed with a cheque... *can't disclose the amount thou... and it happen for like almost regularly...

come to think about it.. its rather ridiculous way to find trouble with me...

all these talk has set me thinking..

if pens are a concern... then what about uniformed personnel who drive 'QX' and 'MID' plate cars home? its not work related rite? i see it as personal use. my place carpark got this Civil Defence GP car... driven by this CD officer home everyday. Can meh? isnt it public property? and most of the time, 5pm or b4 5pm, reach home liao.. wat the... :dunno:

go lesson liao.. byebye

Well, its not only pens, its other expenses as well.

Those you have described are probably on the other end of the spectrum - using work resources for personal use. Maybe the resources saved from getting teachers to expend personal resources for work uses, has gone to finance usage of work resources for personal use :p :p

btw, did you check to see if the car is still there at say, 12MN or something? Maybe he park there and go somewhere else on official duty.

niki said:
all these talk has set me thinking..

if pens are a concern... then what about uniformed personnel who drive 'QX' and 'MID' plate cars home? its not work related rite? i see it as personal use. my place carpark got this Civil Defence GP car... driven by this CD officer home everyday. Can meh? isnt it public property? and most of the time, 5pm or b4 5pm, reach home liao.. wat the... :dunno:

go lesson liao.. byebye

Actually i am not very "pro" Singapore Teachers. I had seen quite a few BAD eggs and honestly am VERY disappointed in the Singapore educational system and the people who are involved in it.

But like my sister, who is a civil servant, said the gov't will take care of the majority,which is also the general public. If u are the "special" or cannot be grouped as general public, u ain't going to get special treatment, cause the gov't is not able to take care of EVERYone.

so whenever, i think the gov't is not fair, i take comfort in thinking, at least the general public is being taken care of. ;)

hmmmm nowadays teachers days cannot buy presents for teachers le. pens included. lest it be considered as 'bribing'

Vince....rem my email...the pen issue is small lah"! ahhaha

Do take note that teachers teach only ~20% of the time.

Some stationery can be claimed, some can't. Students cannot buy gifts for teachers above certain amount on teacher's day.

easily 8 out of 10 teachers age below 30yo will quit or transfer sch at least once.

It aint easy being a teacher. *kudos to them*

btw, did you check to see if the car is still there at say, 12MN or something? Maybe he park there and go somewhere else on official duty.

overnite parking one.. haha.. it has since abt 3 years if i din remember wrongly.. same routine everyday...

overnite parking one.. haha.. it has been abt 3 years already if i din remember wrongly.. same routine everyday...

Status
Not open for further replies.