Tang Shooters C - TCSS Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC question!

If I bought a new HDD, i want to install OS on this new HDD. Is there a way to restore my installed programs from my OS in the old HDD into the new OS?

I lazy to reinstall everything 1 by 1 again.

BO BIAN :nono:

if you use Norton Ghost, you can clone your existing program onto a new HDD, but if you want to change O/S...... no choice, have to re-install everything, because the new O/S will go search the DLL and settings from a different location compare to your old O/S from your old HDD.

re-install all..... guai guai... :bsmilie:

i know have to try, but how? :bsmilie:

the location ish here
1. Launch Windows Explorer and go to Tools->Folder Options and click the View tab.
2. Select the Show Hidden Files And Folders option button, clear the Hide Protected Operating System Files check box, and click the Yes button in the Warning dialog box. (If the system is in a workgroup, you'll need to clear the Use Simple File Sharing check box as well.) Click OK to close the Folder Options dialog box.
3. Access the root directory of the hard disk, right click on the System Volume Information folder, select Properties and access the Security tab.
4. Click the Add button, enter your user account name in the Select Users, Computers, or Groups dialog box and click OK twice.

but i tink unlikely to work

zh3ng said:
PC question!

If I bought a new HDD, i want to install OS on this new HDD. Is there a way to restore my installed programs from my OS in the old HDD into the new OS?

I lazy to reinstall everything 1 by 1 again.

i think u can do a mirror on ur old HDD then use thr mirror image to ur new HDD

CSC charge me $60 for CMOS and VF cleaning lol
anyone want Canon table calendar? I think it is free at CSC

BO BIAN :nono:

if you use Norton Ghost, you can clone your existing program onto a new HDD, but if you want to change O/S...... no choice, have to re-install everything, because the new O/S will go search the DLL and settings from a different location compare to your old O/S from your old HDD.

re-install all..... guai guai... :bsmilie:

the location ish here
1. Launch Windows Explorer and go to Tools->Folder Options and click the View tab.
2. Select the Show Hidden Files And Folders option button, clear the Hide Protected Operating System Files check box, and click the Yes button in the Warning dialog box. (If the system is in a workgroup, you'll need to clear the Use Simple File Sharing check box as well.) Click OK to close the Folder Options dialog box.
3. Access the root directory of the hard disk, right click on the System Volume Information folder, select Properties and access the Security tab.
4. Click the Add button, enter your user account name in the Select Users, Computers, or Groups dialog box and click OK twice.

i think u can do a mirror on ur old HDD then use thr mirror image to ur new HDD

I will be using back the same OS, just different HDD. how to do mirror? :confused:

CSC charge me $60 for CMOS and VF cleaning lol
anyone want Canon table calendar? I think it is free at CSC

I can do CMOS cleaning for u in my lab. can use Ammonia Hydroxide + Hydrogen Peroxide + De-ionised water heated to 50degreesC followed by concentrated Sulphuric acid + Hydrogen Peroxide at 95degreesC.

Very clean! but mine is raw CMOS. havent mount onto PCB yet. :bsmilie:

I can do CMOS cleaning for u in my lab. can use Ammonia Hydroxide + Hydrogen Peroxide + De-ionised water heated to 50degreesC followed by concentrated Sulphuric acid + Hydrogen Peroxide at 95degreesC.

Very clean! but mine is raw CMOS. havent mount onto PCB yet. :bsmilie:

can you customize a 60mm x 45mm CMOS sensor for my AFD2 :)
I can give you AngBao big big for this coming CNY :)

zh3ng said:
I will be using back the same OS, just different HDD. how to do mirror? :confused:

there is a software to do it. it is something like norton ghost.

SAFRA Photographer of the Year 2010
( judging )

Open judging of entries will be held at 9.30a.m, 16th January 2011 at the SAFRA Photographic Club. Participants and public are welcomed to observe the judging process.

more detail are available here.
http://www.in2it.sg/InterestGroup/i...photo-club-photographer-of-the-year-20102011-

I will be there.
join me if you will :)

go sunrise first then go judging? :bsmilie:

the location ish here

sho mafan still don't work! :eek:

Mac just use time machine plug n play can riaos! :bsmilie:

maybe you can backup all data to ext HDD (some brands like Maxtor or WD comes with backup software but not sure if can also backup all software or just data files nia). change internal HDD. install OS onto new int HDD. then restore data from HDD.

:)

can you customize a 60mm x 45mm CMOS sensor for my AFD2 :)
I can give you AngBao big big for this coming CNY :)

lol if i can do that, 1 wafer can do i think 4-5 sensors.

oh i think that one is backup files only. thanks buttie.

maybe you can backup all data to ext HDD (some brands like Maxtor or WD comes with backup software but not sure if can also backup all software or just data files nia). change internal HDD. install OS onto new int HDD. then restore data from HDD.

:)

i thinking of this too. i wonder if windows restore does the same or just data files nia. lol i try tonite. thanks buttie. :)

oh i think that one is backup files only. thanks buttie.

Bro,

if you are trying to move your existing data onto another new HDD ( same O/S ), then Norton Ghost can do it. Norton ghost is not only a backing up application.

Norton Ghost by far has been used extensively to backup OSes using ghost images. What it does is it actually snapshot your system and create a GHO file which u can use to clone multiple PCs.

What you can do is as follows:
1. Create an image using Norton Ghost for ur current OS.
2. Make Norton Ghost portable on a thumbdrive or a CD.
3. Boot the system with the new HDD (empty OS) to boot Norton Ghost via USB or CD.
4. Restore the GHO image u created to the new HDD.
5. Let the process run complete and reboot upon prompt.
6. U have ur OS on the new HDD.

There are other commercially available software like Acronis TrueImage Restore which is quite popular nowadays for image restoration, backup and cloning. If you are running VMs, then u can also use VMware.

Last edited:
yup. mirror image and norton ghost is same thing. the concept is very straightforward.

mirror a computer after installation of softwares/drivers/updates, install the mirror image to all computers that have same OS and hardware.

i think u can use it for ur case.

Use HD Clone 3.8 to clone old disk to new disk; don't need to be same size one
Use EASEUS Partition Master 5.1 Home Edition to do repartition not affecting ur data
In some cases, u may need to set new HDD to active partition and fix ur Master Boot Record for it to boot up
For best result is to do a defragmentation before start using ur new hdd..

Above software are all freeware. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.