Fuji Film Instax Camera Singapore Fans Club, Season Two

How long can i leave the films inside my mini25 after they are inserted into the cam? will leaving the films in there for too long spoil the cam??

can leave inside but hor the colour of the photo will not be as bright as before........but then u just take it as vintage look loh....some people purpose buy expired film to take pic one.

can leave inside but hor the colour of the photo will not be as bright as before........but then u just take it as vintage look loh....some people purpose buy expired film to take pic one.

How does the "vintage effect" look? and roughly how long after expiry to get the effect?

fans will be happy :)

Instax-Mini-90-neo-classic.jpg

the new Instax Mini 90

http://petapixel.com/2013/08/22/fuj...-90/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

More photos of the Instax Mini 90:

top_photo01.jpg

top_photo04.jpg

top_photo09.jpg

from PetaPixel:

"In keeping with the X-Series-like styling, it looks like Fuji is doing its best to pack this little guy full of features. The camera uses a lithium-ion rechargeable battery and several shooting modes, including Macro, Double Exposure and Bulb Mode, which allows you to expose your shots for up to 10 seconds.

In case long exposure isn’t your thing, the camera also sports a “high-performance flash” that can be fine-tuned depending on the exposure you want. And if you’re capturing fast action, you can speed the shutter up to 1/400th of a second."

The camera is set to hit Japanese shelves on September 20th, but won’t be making landfall in the US until the Spring of 2014, when it will retail for around $210."

Japanese website:
http://instax.jp/mini90/

Last edited:
Never a fan of install but I admit this new version is a really pretty one :)

Never a fan of install but I admit this new version is a really pretty one :)

agree. the previous models are toy-like in design, and mainly appealing to teenagers. this one looks serious and could just capture the interest of more mature users. hope to see it in our stores before year end.

agree. the previous models are toy-like in design, and mainly appealing to teenagers. this one looks serious and could just capture the interest of more mature users. hope to see it in our stores before year end.

i'm over 20 and i'm using the 50s 0.o

so that means i'm young thanks :)

To me (not a teenager ;p), Instax is more of a camera for "fun" shots because of the lack of available control (not because of appearance).

That said, I love my Instax 210. I bought it late last year and have used it quite a lot (here are my Instax photos). If I can choose, rather than more "serious" design I'd rather have more control :) Smaller size would also be nice, but since the camera needs to accommodate the film pack size, I don't think much can be done regarding that aspect...

anyone here interested to get the instax mini 90?? pm me :D

Anyone here got 500af? also check out Polaroid SX-70 which Fuji copied (horribly) with their instax..
That's why fujifilm don't call Instax 'polaroids' - not that they don't want to but even if they do they cannot!

[video=youtube;5jaiq_ZZ_eM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaiq_ZZ_eM[/video]

It's a folding.. SLR.. from 1972. if they could do this then, 41 years later fuji's doesn't really seem impressive IMHO.
does not mean i wont consider it to accompany my sx-70 though. :)

Anyone here got 500af? also check out Polaroid SX-70 which Fuji copied (horribly) with their instax..
That's why fujifilm don't call Instax 'polaroids' - not that they don't want to but even if they do they cannot!

[video=youtube;5jaiq_ZZ_eM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaiq_ZZ_eM[/video]

It's a folding.. SLR.. from 1972. if they could do this then, 41 years later fuji's doesn't really seem impressive IMHO.
does not mean i wont consider it to accompany my sx-70 though. :)
I doubt Fuji wants to call instax 'polaroids'... it's simply asking for legal and branding problems ;p Akin to opening a burger restaurant and then officially calling your products "Big Macs" ;p

As for technology, product design decisions often isn't about whether something "can" be done technologically, but whether it makes business sense to do so. Fuji has made good cameras (film and digital), so they probably have the capability to make a "pro" instant camera as well. The question is whether producing "pro" instant camera actually makes better business sense than producing the current Instax models -- they seem to believe that it doesn't.

I doubt Fuji wants to call instax 'polaroids'... it's simply asking for legal and branding problems ;p Akin to opening a burger restaurant and then officially calling your products "Big Macs" ;p

As for technology, product design decisions often isn't about whether something "can" be done technologically, but whether it makes business sense to do so. Fuji has made good cameras (film and digital), so they probably have the capability to make a "pro" instant camera as well. The question is whether producing "pro" instant camera actually makes better business sense than producing the current Instax models -- they seem to believe that it doesn't.

Well, because the instax cameras are for instantaneous fun and joy. Cute and Portable. It wouldn't be popular if they made it expensive and extremely niche like the polaroids.

That's right, they can't. But it would make far better business sense to call Instax Polaroid as that's what everybody refers to them by. Tell a random stranger what an 'Instax' is, especially one from another country apart from Japan and they'll go '...what?'. Polaroid was the one who invented the technology, Polaroid marketed and pushed for it's success. Instax is mostly living off of the coattails of Polaroid's success. To be more precise, KODAK's success when they had copied Polaroid and had they're pants sued off eventually having to pay US$1 billion in 1990s dollars. They had the technical hurdles solved in SX-70 seen above, Edwin Land invented the entire concept of instant photography also with those hurdles very, very expensive to solve. Fujifilm, who copied Kodak's instant film designs directly, was saved only because they made a deal with Polaroid cross-licensing Fujifilm's magnetic tape tech for VHSes Polaroid wanted to expand into. They did, however, rebrand an Instax mini 7S as the 'Polaroid 300'.

Also, actually they seem to finally believe 'pro' instant cameras make better business sense now. If not they wouldn't have released the Instax mini 90 seen above which has a tripod, double exposures, long exposures, etc - which were only previously available in the 'prosumer' Instax 500af. Previous Instax cameras, were pretty crappy - fixed focus with only two focus settings. They tried aiming for the pro market with the 500af but apparently failed as models after the Instax 100, 500af and Instax mini 10 stopped trying to look acceptable and started looking kiddy. Those and all after those were aimed towards teenagers. That sentiment seems to be reflected in previous posts on this thread too about Instax. Now that they're finally serious again I'm now considering the 90 to accompany SX-70. :)

Well, because the instax cameras are for instantaneous fun and joy. Cute and Portable. It wouldn't be popular if they made it expensive and extremely niche like the polaroids.

Hope you're not insinuating that POLAROID cameras are not for instantaneous fun and joy. If you are i'll like to point you towards the 'Meet The Swinger' commercial for a 1965 Polaroid camera costing only US$19.95. Cute and portable too. Far more so in the 60s.

[video=youtube_share;h7k2uwJmwxo]http://youtu.be/h7k2uwJmwxo[/video]

Polaroid wasn't always expensive; they cost the same or even cheaper than Instax before their films were discontinued in 2008. Afterwards prices for original Polaroid film skyrocketed to up to $50-60 for a pack of 10 pictures for Polaroid 600; you don't want to know how much a pack Polaroid Time Zero film, meant for Polaroid SX-70 seen above went up to and still commands today.

They were also never 'extremely niche' - may I ask really, where and how did you get that idea? The rainbow OneStep SX-70 camera from 1977, according to Wikipedia 'the $40 Model 1000 OneStep using SX-70 film became the best-selling camera of the 1977 Christmas shopping season'. After that came the many OneStep models for consumers and the 'prosumer' successors to SX-70 like the SX-70 Sonar, SLR680, SLR690, etc which were VERY popular. Just not too much in Singapore but they still had a presence - check out Clubsnap threads from the past.

That's right, they can't. But it would make far better business sense to call Instax Polaroid as that's what everybody refers to them by.

Getting into legal trouble and causing confusion (regarding who actually manufactures a product) is not good "business sense" ;p In any case, commonly used term can change with changes in trends. Consider how the rise of Google's popularity result in the term "googling", for example, even though Google isn't the first popular search engine.

Also, actually they seem to finally believe 'pro' instant cameras make better business sense now. If not they wouldn't have released the Instax mini 90 seen above which has a tripod, double exposures, long exposures, etc - which were only previously available in the 'prosumer' Instax 500af.

My impression is that Fuji is exploring the "sweet spot" of feature vs price. They tried 500af, then try very simple Instax designs (which seems to be more popular than 500af), and now add some features to the simple designs. If it turns out to be more profitable, they'll probably go further in that direction and add more features. If not, they might just stick to simpler designs.

Currently there are a number of alternatives to get instant prints. Polaroid's approach with Zink, instant film back for existing film cameras, or even using digital camera + compact photo printer combo. Future product developments (by any company) will depend on what kind of approach proves to be successful in the market. My suggestion is to just vote with our wallet :)

Hope you're not insinuating that POLAROID cameras are not for instantaneous fun and joy. If you are i'll like to point you towards the 'Meet The Swinger' commercial for a 1965 Polaroid camera costing only US$19.95. Cute and portable too. Far more so in the 60s.

Video Link: http://youtu.be/h7k2uwJmwxo

Polaroid wasn't always expensive; they cost the same or even cheaper than Instax before their films were discontinued in 2008. Afterwards prices for original Polaroid film skyrocketed to up to $50-60 for a pack of 10 pictures for Polaroid 600; you don't want to know how much a pack Polaroid Time Zero film, meant for Polaroid SX-70 seen above went up to and still commands today.

They were also never 'extremely niche' - may I ask really, where and how did you get that idea? The rainbow OneStep SX-70 camera from 1977, according to Wikipedia 'the $40 Model 1000 OneStep using SX-70 film became the best-selling camera of the 1977 Christmas shopping season'. After that came the many OneStep models for consumers and the 'prosumer' successors to SX-70 like the SX-70 Sonar, SLR680, SLR690, etc which were VERY popular. Just not too much in Singapore but they still had a presence - check out Clubsnap threads from the past.

Are we talking about the present or the past now?