Status
Not open for further replies.

tchuanye

Staff member
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
Just sharing some info on these cute looking chaps....Took this at the zoo

11250391-L.jpg

The Golden-headed Lion Tamarin belongs to a family of Tamarin species that are critically endangered, in fact they are amongst the most vulnerable species on earth.
They occur along the most heavily populated coastline in the world, the Atlantic coast of Brazil. Only fragments of habitat now remain.
These animals all belong to the Brazilian Government and are on loan to respected zoos throughout the world, to captive breed and conserve them.
They eat fruit, gums and insects.

11251002-L.jpg

Tamarins are squirrel-like, colorful monkeys. The Red-handed tamarin is named because of its reddish or orange hair on its hands and feet. It has a long tail that can be wrapped around branches. It has claws rather than fingernails on all fingers and toes except the big toe.
Like most tamarins, the Red-handed tamarin eats fruit, flowers, insects, spiders, lizards, frogs, and nectar.
The Red-handed tamarin can be found in the Amazon.
Tamarins live in groups of four to 15 members. Only one female in the groups breeds during mating season. The others suppress reproduction. This may be due to submission to the dominant female. A mother tamarin usually gives birth to two offspring. She cares for the young until they are 10 weeks old, at which time they become independent. The father takes an active roll in caring for the newborns. In fact, all members of the goup help raise the young, donating food to them and their mother.

:bigeyes: wah so details.

I think 2nd pcs the flash is abit to hash hor, hope you don't mind my newbiz comments ;p

club_de_oldman said:
:bigeyes: wah so details.

I think 2nd pcs the flash is abit to hash hor, hope you don't mind my newbiz comments ;p

No problem, any comments welcomed. 2nd pic did not use flash...was difficult getting a sharp pic on this guy as he kept on moving....this was the only sharp one of the lot. It looks bright because of the bright direct morning sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.