Taking nite shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Handheld night shots are possible with high ISO (ISO 1600) and steady hands.

I shot this pic (below) handheld, ISO 1600, 1/15sec.
Untitled-11.jpg

errr.... it's possible, but the results aren't exactly what you would call... good.
Even at the small size, I can see visible blur.

as night86mare said, your photo is also underexposed. If you reduce the shutter speed further to increase brightness....:bigeyes: I think the blur would be even worse.

Last edited:
A number of ur shots are not sharp even at the smaller viewing sizes, and are marred by handshake. The shutter speed is too low for ur handholding ( u have some that are > 1 second :sweat: ) to shoot hand held under that kind of circumstance u really need to bump the iso way higher, or stabilise ur camera setup on some firm support like table / benches etc if possible

my advice to take clean ( noise kept to minimum ) and tact sharp keepers for low light landscape / buildings is, as others mentioned, to get a sturdy tripod.

ryan

thanks for the advice dude!:thumbsup: im kinda in a dilemma on fri as to whether use higher ISO or fast shutter speed and i guess i choose the worse choice? haha

thanks for the advice dude!:thumbsup: im kinda in a dilemma on fri as to whether use higher ISO or fast shutter speed and i guess i choose the worse choice? haha

actually his post was in reference to another CSer's photos, since you didn't post any photos.
If it's night scenery, you can't really use fast shutter speed since the light levels aren't sufficient.

Higher ISO and fast shutter speed are not either/or options. Your post is a bit confusing.

sleepyboiwang said:
Hey guys, just want some tips regarding nite shots. was in town just now and shooting randomly, and i realize the main prob is 1)hand shake but also 2)the rite exposure.

cheers

ok I go back to your original post and reply.

1) regarding your hand shake problem, it's due to the shutter speed being too slow.
Nothing much you can do about it. Best option is a tripod. High ISO gets you into noise problems. Large aperture might introduce depth of field issues for landscapes.

2) i find that adjusting the exposure is a bit problematic when the sky is dark. If you have a lot of black sky and some bright buildings, the metering could possibly be fooled. The only way is to experiment with the different metering modes available on your camera, and eventually figure out how your camera behaves in such a situation. Sometimes my camera meters the scene as 1.5 stops overexposed, and that is the image I want... ~shrug~

Yup agree with what the others have said

Best option :

1) Get a tripod
2) Use a remote shutter release or self timer function
3) Tweak your exposure settings until you get the shot you like (or use exposure bracketing)

Alternatively, if you really don't want to lug around a tripod, just brace your camera & right hand/arm against a lamppost or railing & don't lift off on the shutter button until the mirror flips back again - will reduce movement.

Last edited:
Use a
  • tripod
  • put on ledge
  • put on floor.

then if you're in bulb mode! if you're not using a cable release, means you're using your hand to hold the shutter button, 50% of the time you're gonna get hand shake if
  • you're not controlling your breathing.
  • on a wobbly tripod. (my manfrotto 190 is wobbly when fully extended when i hand hold my shutter button)

so you can
  • Learn to breathe right
  • use a cable release
  • use 30secs instead of bulb

i like to do night shots. I do alot of them at 12-4am where light is lesser. also depending on the effect, different times of the year will get you different effects.
eg.
now is more cloudy, so you can get a nice orange sky due to the reflected street lights.
april/may has less clouds, so you might be able to get a nice starry sky if you find a dark spot like ubin

Last edited:
1. for hand shaking, 1) practice more if you really wanna use hand to held. 2) tripod is a must.

2. this is what I do. 1) switch to M Mode. 2. Fix the aperture to F16, or F22. 3) set shutter speed to 1/2 . 4) then see the outcomes. if it is under exposure, then slow down the speed by 1 level until you get the correct exposure.

aye cheers ppl. will update u guys once i came back from NZ:)

Status
Not open for further replies.