Taking macro shots w my ESF17-55mm IS USM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktay07

May 4, 2009
Hi all...
I'm using Canon 450D with ESF17-55mm IS USM and was trying to take macro shots of small accessories (eg: rings)... But when I point my lens too close to the object, the lens is unable to auto-focus and find the subject to sharpen. How come?

As my lens is newly bought, i was wondering if it's a problem with my lens? Or is it that I simply can't take macro shots with that lens? :confused:

Pls advise!!!

its the minimum focusing distance.. 35cm if i not wrong.. this is not a dedicated macro lens...:nono:

I'm not a Canon user but I can advice something.
If you want to use it as a Macro lens, try an extension tube.

Just bought 1, have not tried it yet.
I heard it's a cheap solution but it also have it's cons.

Refer to this link for more info.
http://www.neilcreek.com/blog/2007/11/10/about-macro-extension-tubes-p365-nov03/

There is something to learn about every SLR lens; it has a minimum focus distance. That means to say that this is the minimum distance between the point of focus and the sensor where the lens will still be able to attain proper focus. Any closer and the lens will fail to acquire a proper focus.

To find out your minimum focus distance, look for a flower shaped logo on your lens, and next to that, there will be a distance, usually in centimeters or inches.

everyone hopes for a 'one-lens-do-all'... unfortunately that is not the case.

if you are really into macro photography, the raynox adaptor is recommended, other than buying a true dedicated macro lens.

Hi all...
I'm using Canon 450D with ESF17-55mm IS USM and was trying to take macro shots of small accessories (eg: rings)... But when I point my lens too close to the object, the lens is unable to auto-focus and find the subject to sharpen. How come?

too close, the lens cannot focus even if got contrast, beecause it is not meant to do so.

Get a Raynox 250 and then use manual focus
you sure to get a nice and sharp macro picture
:)

if u seriously like macro...get a macro lens !:devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.