Taboos during Chinese Ghost Festival?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mich_2103

Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
My Dad told me even the Malays in Singapore believe in the Chinese Ghost Festival. They will avoid walking under the trees or the grass during this period of time.

Any taboos for fellow CSnappers?

For me, my Mom said no clothes hanging outside and watering the plants after 7pm during this period of time.

What about you guys? :dunno:

Cheers,
-Mich-:p

Don't tap other ppl's shoulders.
Don't step on the "burn money".

Don't turn around when someone call you from behind..:eek: :hung: :faint:

AFAIK, only singapore will spend so much time and money to "celebrate" hungry ghost festival for one whole month!!

There are other festivals for chinese which are more meaningful but they are neglected here. Just compare with the list here http://www.chinavoc.com/festivals/index.asp and u will realise there are many other festivals which we have missed.

Burning of offerings and having opera thru out the month is excessive. In china or HK, this only last for one day. In fact, I have never heard of hungry ghost festival until i come to singapore. None of the people around me actually commemorate hungry ghost festival nor even mention about it....really found it strange that singaporean put in so much time & efforts to please the ghosts.

As what my mum told me, why we have to worship the ghosts like the God? Or Singaporean are more afraid of death? :think: Luckily my place here not many pple burn paper money, the air already bad enough

Wai said:
AFAIK, only singapore will spend so much time and money to "celebrate" hungry ghost festival for one whole month!!

There are other festivals for chinese which are more meaningful but they are neglected here. Just compare with the list here http://www.chinavoc.com/festivals/index.asp and u will realise there are many other festivals which we have missed.

Burning of offerings and having opera thru out the month is excessive. In china or HK, this only last for one day. In fact, I have never heard of hungry ghost festival until i come to singapore. None of the people around me actually commemorate hungry ghost festival nor even mention about it....really found it strange that singaporean put in so much time & efforts to please the ghosts.

As what my mum told me, why we have to worship the ghosts like the God? Or Singaporean are more afraid of death? :think: Luckily my place here not many pple burn paper money, the air already bad enough
Some of the older folks (I can't believe how the HELL they manage to remember so many dates) still celebrate some of those festivals thru prayers, visiting the temple and burning stuff and offerings for the Gods.

Unfortunately, as the time passes, even the common Hungry Ghosts Festival would just fade into oblivion. Everyone will probably vaguely remember in the distant future, that the 7th lunar month is a month associated with spirits and ghosts. If you're talking about things like Getai, Chinese Operas, the Tonite and even those '7th month Dinners' will slowly fade.

You just take a walk in Orchard Road and ask any younglings there, do they know the difference between a Red-Based Joss Stick and a Green-Based Joss Stick?

There's a high chance (we're looking at 8 out of 10) that they would not know.

If you are talking about the bad air of burning smoke and joss sticks, compared to that almost 20yrs ago, its a lot tamer these days. :)

Dun step on the burnt paper money ashes? or candles...if u do...juz say a little prayer or sorry.

Recently i accidentally stepped on some prayer candles while photo taking (yes another case of moving backwards without checking...), hope my apologies are enough. :|

*Dun worry...30 days is going to end very soon....mauahhahahaa

mich_2103 said:
My Dad told me even the Malays in Singapore believe in the Chinese Ghost Festival. They will avoid walking under the trees or the grass during this period of time.

Im not sure about the believe but IMOO, respect towards the event is more appropriate in this matter. Hopefully the burning and ashes flying will be over soon...

Don't any how urine? ( This one don't play play very zhun one ):lovegrin:

Wai said:
and that's why no one post a happy birthday thread for you this year? ;p
There wasn't any last year either :bsmilie:

Travel straight at night..don't zig zag walking, cycling...etc.
"They" see you will avoid or pass by you, but if you zig zag or jump around like kids, you bang them???? :nono:

ya, only kids will be lke that..

espn said:
There wasn't any last year either :bsmilie:

Wow :bigeyes: you even remember that?:bsmilie:

Wai said:

commercialize

must salute those entrepreneurs in the early days capitalizing on the fear and supertitious of the people.

one month of activities generate some good incomes for many people so just let it be, also it add to our local folklore.

amospi said:
Don't any how urine? ( This one don't play play very zhun one ):lovegrin:

I think it's don't urine in front of the moon, under any tree especially BANANA TREE (that's if you can find a BANANA tree in Singapore!) Hehe.....this one also VERY CHUN!

Never go swimming, I ganna one time like a teeth mark on my leg in a swimming pool...:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

my colleague told me, 'their' actual off day is only their one day. hence we have to pray offerings 3 times a month, chu yi is their breakfast, shi wu is their lunch and mth end is their dinner.

i dont know much about tabo but when i wore my anklet, which has some bells on it (and would make some jingling sound as i walked) , my grandma asked me to take it off the other day :sweatsm:

mich_2103 said:

Any taboos for fellow CSnappers?

For me, my Mom said no clothes hanging outside and watering the plants after 7pm during this period of time.

What about you guys? :dunno:

Cheers,
-Mich-:p
Malays / Muslims do not believe in such things cos it's blasphemous. Most likely they do that out of respect due to the many joss sticks & burnt paper money left behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.