Taboos during Chinese Ghost Festival?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should declare 1 month holiday during the Lunar 7th month. :bsmilie:

jopel said:
commercialize

must salute those entrepreneurs in the early days capitalizing on the fear and supertitious of the people.

one month of activities generate some good incomes for many people so just let it be, also it add to our local folklore.

I used to be in outdoor activities club back in school

and for the month of july, there will be no acitivities or training at night because many parents dont want their son & daughter to reach home late during the 7th month :dunno: :dunno:

wahlau eh...

this is the only time in the year that i can come out of the 18th floor to feast on earth & u wanna deprive me of this?

Btw, the stage performances sux nowadays.
The food provided also not fresh....
Can improve or not?
I wanna complain liao...

& can burn credit card or cheques?
Those money nowadays not in fashion downstairs liao

Wai said:
I used to be in outdoor activities club back in school

and for the month of july, there will be no acitivities or training at night because many parents dont want their son & daughter to reach home late during the 7th month :dunno: :dunno:
hey, wanna go ghost hunting. It had been awhile since I last experienced one in the 70's.

jopel said:
hey, wanna go ghost hunting. It had been awhile since I last experienced one in the 70's.

last time we have night out during the 7th month to the cemetary lor... den u will hear the girls cry... cos all scared until dunno wat... ;p

Sjourn said:
Never go swimming, I ganna one time like a teeth mark on my leg in a swimming pool...:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

yah it's better not to go swimming alone or at night....'they' more fierce and active during this period. :p

Pro Image said:
I think it's don't urine in front of the moon, under any tree especially BANANA TREE (that's if you can find a BANANA tree in Singapore!) Hehe.....this one also VERY CHUN!
What will happen to the banana tree???

The only thing I avoid doing during this month is checking Clubsnap.........

HS

markccm said:
wahlau eh...

this is the only time in the year that i can come out of the 18th floor to feast on earth & u wanna deprive me of this?

Btw, the stage performances sux nowadays.
The food provided also not fresh....
Can improve or not?
I wanna complain liao...

& can burn credit card or cheques?
Those money nowadays not in fashion downstairs liao

not need CC or cheques lah... ask for the products.. highend DSLR lor. maybe can custom make 100megapixel one.:)

hongsien said:

HS

The banana tree will produce more bananas thanks to your urine fertilizers...
;)

sbs99 said:
any suggestions? =)

can tie up with SPI to organise an outing to these "haunted" places. we had such an event some 2 years ago but wasn't during 7th mth though. heard that some of the areas rather spooky....

Lenscapes said:
not need CC or cheques lah... ask for the products.. highend DSLR lor. maybe can custom make 100megapixel one.:)

then also need a super computer to process 100 MP file!

Wai said:
AFAIK, only singapore will spend so much time and money to "celebrate" hungry ghost festival for one whole month!!

Burning of offerings and having opera thru out the month is excessive. In china or HK, this only last for one day. In fact, I have never heard of hungry ghost festival until i come to singapore. None of the people around me actually commemorate hungry ghost festival nor even mention about it....really found it strange that singaporean put in so much time & efforts to please the ghosts.

As what my mum told me, why we have to worship the ghosts like the God? Or Singaporean are more afraid of death? :think: Luckily my place here not many pple burn paper money, the air already bad enough
Taiwanese have the same length in festive of ghost month too. The reason why you never seen such long time for ghost month is because of the ethnic differences between various dialect group in China and HK pratice differently. The fact is that most Chinese in Singapore are Hokkien and pray to 'Ti Gong' or Jade Emperor unique to the Hokkiens and Taiwanese as compared to Chinese in HK who are mostly Cantonese. Do take note of the differences and not do a comparism between the dialect group as 'excessive'.

hongsien said:

HS

No you must not.....

You MUST LOG IN ONCE A DAY......if not you will cause a great disturbance in the force.

hongsien said:

HS
Banana trees are said to house the spirit of a Banana Spirit. Usually a female spirit. Very fierce and powerful.

And there's a saying that if u tie a red string around the banana tree and tie the other end to ur finger and sleep under the tree on a full moon night, the banana tree spirit will harrass and possess u.

Never tried. Dun dare. U want u can try.

And BTW, there ARE banana trees in Singapore. It depends on where u go. ;)

Try masquerading as 'one of them', standing around intersections after 12am....waving at passerby in cars........

I bet tomorrow temples sure got alot of visitors.....of course, the intersections you were standing as well.
More paper money burnt and food offering.......And YES! Some of them actually praying for 4D numbers and totos :devil:

Benign said:
Try masquerading as 'one of them', standing around intersections after 12am....waving at passerby in cars........

I bet tomorrow temples sure got alot of visitors.....of course, the intersections you were standing as well.
More paper money burnt and food offering.......And YES! Some of them actually praying for 4D numbers and totos :devil:
There was a newspaper story a few weeks ago, someone in Bukit Batok HDB flat purposely stood behind a white curtain at night, and many neighbours thought they saw "something", then someone went to pray for lucky 4D number....

Lenscapes said:

can u burn one for me?

i also need a Lexus RX300 here..

jsbn said:
Banana trees are said to house the spirit of a Banana Spirit. Usually a female spirit. Very fierce and powerful.

And there's a saying that if u tie a red string around the banana tree and tie the other end to ur finger and sleep under the tree on a full moon night, the banana tree spirit will harrass and possess u.

Never tried. Dun dare. U want u can try.

And BTW, there ARE banana trees in Singapore. It depends on where u go. ;)

Yeah I heard that legend before when I was a kid.

But I was quite a naughty guy... me and my bro used to make bows and arrows using bamboo and rubber bands to shoot at the banana tree trunk near my house. Quite fun becoz the banana tree trunk is quite soft.... The arrows can pierce it quite well. Then we discovered NT cutter/ Olfa penknifes.... :devil: And we started to practice chaos theory on banana trunks. Hahaha! Cut until quite messy... kenna scolded becoz that banana tree does grow some nice bananas when its fruiting. Anyway, in the end it was chopped down. Wasted.....:p

Status
Not open for further replies.