Taboos during Chinese Ghost Festival?

Status
Not open for further replies.
soma said:
Truth truth..:thumbsup:
Part of our custom.. if this is also lost..:( already not much left for our next generation to see, feel and involve in.

Isn't it better if pple consolidate all burning to may be only first and last day of the month? I know it will not happen since it already become a habit to many. For me I have slight asthma and my nose already suffer irritation since the first day of the ghost festival, so pple who have more serious asthma or breathing problem would suffer even more.

May be next time govt will tax pple for burning, just like cigerette, petrol and diesel. :think:

Pple dont need to commemorate ghost festival for whole one whole month in order to remember it right? All the other festivals only commemorate once a year, that's what i mean by "excessive" in comparison.

Again, i wish to stress that I am not asking for abortion of ghost festival....just suggesting an alternative ways to commemorate it. Instead of emphasis so much in only one festival, why not put the afford in other festivals as well? Isnt this a better way to ensure as much festivals and tradition will be kept and pass down?

I dont think u wish to see our next generation ONLY remember Chinese new year for Ang Pao and Ghost Festival for all the burning right??

Anyway, anyone still keep their angbao under their pillow until the 15th and keep yourself awake on CNY eve?

Wai said:
I dont think u wish to see our next generation ONLY remember Chinese new year for Ang Pao and Ghost Festival for all the burning right??

Anyway, anyone still keep their angbao under their pillow until the 15th and keep yourself awake on CNY eve?

Sadly i think this is what the children will remember angbao for CNY and Burning and praying for Ghost Festival. :sweat:

I still keep till 15th and try not to sleep on CNY eve. and many of those i know do that. It's the custom and be proud of doing it.:thumbsup:

Wai said:
Pple dont need to commemorate ghost festival for whole one whole month in order to remember it right? All the other festivals only commemorate once a year, that's what i mean by "excessive" in comparison.

Again, i wish to stress that I am not asking for abortion of ghost festival....just suggesting an alternative ways to commemorate it. Instead of emphasis so much in only one festival, why not put the afford in other festivals as well? Isnt this a better way to ensure as much festivals and tradition will be kept and pass down?
What festival is done twice a year? A Chinese New Year Festival last more than 14 day a year in China. Shop is close for a month in some places where the people went back to visit families in the countryside. Is that excessive? Nobody play it up, it has always been like that. Not longer or shorter. Chinese Festivals in Singapore is already shorten considerably for economical reasons. Obeserving a seventh month tradition does not necessarily put down the other festivals. They will still go on if people remembers them.

Wai said:
Isn't it better if pple consolidate all burning to may be only first and last day of the month? I know it will not happen since it already become a habit to many. For me I have slight asthma and my nose already suffer irritation since the first day of the ghost festival, so pple who have more serious asthma or breathing problem would suffer even more.

May be next time govt will tax pple for burning, just like cigerette, petrol and diesel. :think:

This is too much of an OT.

Not to be taken personally, but from what i've read, u r simply against the practice of the burning of incense because it irritates you. The remainder of your argument(s) on other countries and other festivals are merely disguises to make your argument(s) (appear) stronger.

My guess is that you don't really dislike the festival, just the smoky part, like photographers generally don't dislike fireworks, only the smoke.

In the pass, ge tai (or performances for our "good brothers") were conducted for many nights and very often ended late at night. I was a student then and the noise really affected my doing homework, watching tv and sleeping. I wasn't a fan then but it is a diminishing trade now, mainly due to urbanization. Looking back, it really is less of a festival now, much less. A quiet, somewhat domestic affair.

It really isn't about taking something away from one festival just so another festival can flourish. It doesn't, and shouldn't, work that way.

Again, please do not take it personally.

Wai said:
I guess I'd said it many times. Try telling that to the older folks.

The ghost festival is commemorated once a year as well. ;)

Emphasis in other festivals are still there, it only depends on whether younglings like us (born in the 1970s) and future generations would take the effort to remember those dates and carry on the traditions of the older ppl.

Unfortunately, if u had noticed, most ppl HAD already associated CNY with Ang Paos and 7th Lunar Month with joss paper burning.

I do.

i have sensitive lungs & skin, so im one of those who suffer during this mth. persistent dry cough, rashes and not to mention that i'll get watery eyes..oh well but that doesnt mean i'm against this burning of incense paper & all.

i think our next generation would know many more things, if we try to tell them what are the interesting myths or facts that are passed down to us :)

Astin said:
Do u guys know that there are also Ghost Festival in Japan and Mexico as well?

Yeah, but don'treally last a month right? The one in Mexico should be fun to photograph; the Day of the Dead. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.