Sunray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genie In A Lightbox

Aug 22, 2008
sunset.jpg

Exposure: 1/500 sec, f/11, ISO 200

The layers of cloud and the sun rays breaking through the clouds was beautiful when I looked out of the window. I grabbed my camera and shot about 30 frames the beautiful moment. I am planning to start a A Photo A Day or 'A Photo When Possible' project but no good works to show. Please give me your comments in terms of composition and exposure.:)

** I forgot about the 1 image a week rule. My sincere apologies, mod.

Last edited:
Good one! I feel that the left side has too much shadows and the top part of the clouds abit redundant, doesn't add to the impact. You can crop of the top part and the left side. If not, the rest is well-exposed, just nice in my opinion.

Good one! I feel that the left side has too much shadows and the top part of the clouds abit redundant, doesn't add to the impact. You can crop of the top part and the left side. If not, the rest is well-exposed, just nice in my opinion.

Thank you tkbonz! My PP skills very lousy and limited - just know how to add borders, signatures, resize. I'm still trying to learn how to do PP properly.

Regarding the clouds, I made a choice to include them rather than frame lower to see the less interesting foreground. Had a prime lens mounted and that was my longest focal length so the buildings were included. I had wished if I had a clear view in front of me. Thanks once again for your comments and advice.:)

I think the clouds at the top are fine. Sometimes there is a temptation to go wayyyyyy tight, but other times, leaving some breathing space is also good, as seen here.

I feel that exposure-wise, though, you could have given a bit more exposure. The buildings right now are a little too murky for my liking, particularly the ones to the left, and further in the background.

Perhaps it would have been a stronger composition had only the right building been included, as that is the one being illuminated with the rays; the others are not, which make them unattractive and even distracting.

this picture makes Singapore so much more interesting i think...somehow, the hdb flats became cornerstones to beauty and the dark clouds above the sun rays gives a sense of hope in dark times...as for the light itself...me thinks it's captured beautifully, very well exposed, very nice colors

I think the clouds at the top are fine. Sometimes there is a temptation to go wayyyyyy tight, but other times, leaving some breathing space is also good, as seen here.

i like space, but here, i would have gone in closer. not all the way, but at least such that the building here on the left is left out altogether. it takes away from the picture by providing a lump of blackness.. black is just as distracting as blownout highlights when it comes in such a mass.

just the portrait style, the rays and the blocks on the right. in fact i think if not too much IQ is lost, cropping here should be done.. ;)

I would have wished to have taken from another higher floor; at least higher than the building on the left.
The inclusion of the buildings is good, esp that the right one faces the sun. I believe the sun's rays go all the way down; or at least more than whats shown here, and you might have taken that into the frame; shifting the focus more on the right. Otherwise you may trim off about 20% from the bottom; and get 20% more of the clouds.

Keep shooting~

this picture makes Singapore so much more interesting i think...somehow, the hdb flats became cornerstones to beauty and the dark clouds above the sun rays gives a sense of hope in dark times...as for the light itself...me thinks it's captured beautifully, very well exposed, very nice colors

Hi pyslence

Thank you for your comments! Perhaps by coincidence, this photo was taken on the day during the financial crisis in Asia. Gloomy days ahead but we all see a silver lining in the clouds. This picture meant alot to me implicitly - it will go down in my memory that I once experienced a financial crisis and I have this beautiful pic to remind me.

You ought to sell this to HDB! lol

Leave the top part of the clouds... think a tight crop will kinda make this photo lose it's impact of the sun ray shining through.

I'm not sure about trimming the bottom, as that will put the rays too close to bottom of the picture and kinda make it lose it's balance.

Did you try taking this scene at other settings? You mentioned you shot like 30 frames. Would be interesting if we can see what this scene looks like with a slightly longer exposure.

You ought to sell this to HDB! lol

Leave the top part of the clouds... think a tight crop will kinda make this photo lose it's impact of the sun ray shining through.

I'm not sure about trimming the bottom, as that will put the rays too close to bottom of the picture and kinda make it lose it's balance.

Did you try taking this scene at other settings? You mentioned you shot like 30 frames. Would be interesting if we can see what this scene looks like with a slightly longer exposure.

Hi darkroom

Thanks for your comments. The rest of the shots were framed differently but had too much distracting elements. Some were framed similar to the one shown except for abit higher and lower but this one shown is the best of the lot imho. Never take any long exposures though because I did not have a ND filter. But I overexposed some frames on purpose but had the highlights blown. I regret not taking the pictures in RAW as that would allow me to pp the pictures more. I also did not set up my tripod - it was impossible to do so. As mentioned, I had to lean out of the window to take this shot. One thing I learnt: Always pick up my camera when inclement approaches because that's when God shows his real colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.