Sports Hub: That horse-shoe shaped stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
...It just needs one day of disaster to create big hoo-ha hor...

Do you know how much stadiums cost to build or not?

Google "stadium construction price" hor. I see a lot of "billions" mentioned, not millions.

I love how people like to state things without any facts to back them up.

:think: :think: hehehehe!!

to quote someone from CS... TELL ME!! wahahahahaha

I can tell you something right now. Wireless router from Singnet sucks like hell, what 9WIRE or 2WIRE or what. Laggy like hell only at night. Don't know what's up with it. Temperamental. But anyways:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-giants-jetsstadium&prov=ap&type=lgns
This one should be in USD too.
The price of the new football stadium for the New York Giants and New York Jets has risen by $600 million to $1.4 billion.

"Costs continue to go up," said Alice McGillion, a spokeswoman for New Meadowlands Stadium Corp., a company that represents the team owners.

The teams awarded a contract to Swedish construction company Skanska AB, which said Friday it had received a $998 million order to design and build the open-air stadium at the Meadowlands sports complex in East Rutherford, N.J.

"It shows the continued momentum and we are on the timeline that we need to be for a 2010 opening," McGillion said Friday.

The teams, which announced the joint venture in 2005, originally estimated costs at about $800 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_Stadium#_note-key_facts
The stadium project cost £390 million, but not all was for the actual construction of the stadium itself.[2]
0.o

http://goliath.ecnext.com/comsite5/bin/pdinventory.pl?pdlanding=1&referid=2750&item_id=0199-5029915
The Gulf Coast hurricanes may push construction costs sharply higher for several years, experts say, potentially adding millions of dollars in costs to the $625 million football stadium as well as other public projects in their early stages.
Also in USD hor.

Enough boh?

if this thread is meant to be an accumulation of dislikes for anything new, i've nothing to say.

if it's meant to be a review on one of the design proposal, i think we can come up with better arguement rather than 'how to do the kallang wave' 'this looks like toilet bowl' 'are we having waterpolo and soccer together' 'are the audience going to fall into water' 'wait the soccer ball fly into the water how' etc.

if this thread is meant to be an accumulation of dislikes for anything new, i've nothing to say.

if it's meant to be a review on one of the design proposal, i think we can come up with better arguement rather than 'how to do the kallang wave' 'this looks like toilet bowl' 'are we having waterpolo and soccer together' 'are the audience going to fall into water' 'wait the soccer ball fly into the water how' etc.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: still dun like the first design.

let's wait for the next two.

saving grace, perhaps? :bsmilie:

Wellll we like to think that we are a stupid bunch! =D =D =D

Actually in National Stadium soccer ball also can fly into Kallang Basin mar! :bsmilie:

it is not about disliking anything new. it is about disliking having things which people dun need urgently now, things which uses money that can be actually spent in better things like subsidies etc.

seriously, it's sickening how people can complain that the system here lacks creativity, lacks freedom etc. and then when something different happens everyone jumps in to crucify it.

at least when we disagree, we disagree with well thought arguement ... no wonder Singapore kids lost the debate ... anyway, i think we shouldn't be overly disturbed over a toilet seat cover when there are plenty of toilet seat covers all over the world which people take pride and joy in. let's see the other proposals before being too quick on dismissing anything. who knows, proposal 2 and 3 might range from sea urchin to octopus ... sushi anyone?

it is not about disliking anything new. it is about disliking having things which people dun need urgently now, things which uses money that can be actually spent in better things like subsidies etc.

then go and collect signatures, submit petition, rally support from communities, write long essays to straitstimes forum etc etc and tell the authorities that there are enough people to not want a new stadium.

National pride also important, lah. I agree we need a world class sports hub. Attract more investors, foreign talent, etc. Then if F1 comes in, lagi best.

Malaysia already got Shah Alam Stadium, we all cannot lose out leh!

I'd like a new stadium, but well, I think the gold colour stadium is a bit orbit lor...

then go and collect signatures, submit petition, rally support from communities, write long essays to straitstimes forum etc etc and tell the authorities that there are enough people to not want a new stadium.

be realistic. you think singapore governmant will allow that? if there have to be a reason why i dun mind this new stadium, it will be that i can do nothing about it. if that's your argument, fine, you win. because i can do nothing about it, i should just shut up. btw, mods should remove almost all the kopitiam threads too, cos almost every thread is like that. none of the CSers can do anything about the issues raised.

edit: but i do find this new stadium very appealling. the water-front and the funky shape is really very refreshing. i just find that by stating so openly that garment is spending so much on a new stadium, it really seems to be like mocking at those poors who really need moeny now.

be realistic. you think singapore governmant will allow that? if there have to be a reason why i dun mind this new stadium, it will be that i can do nothing about it. if that's your argument, fine, you win. because i can do nothing about it, i should just shut up. btw, mods should remove almost all the kopitiam threads too, cos almost every thread is like that. none of the CSers can do anything about the issues raised.

why won't the authorities allow it? remember the effort counts, you haven't seen how some people fought really hard with the authorities regarding the tearing down of Stamford Library. though their contributions did not change the course of things then, what they left are valuable experience for future reference and we know the library did not go without a well fought arguement against the final decision. that stays as a record, in future when similar things are going to happen, we can look back at that particular chapter to start the discourse going again. it's not always about winning the authorities, it speaks of how much the people care enough to even make the effort to offer alternatives to the norm.

why won't the authorities allow it? remember the effort counts, you haven't seen how some people fought really hard with the authorities regarding the tearing down of Stamford Library. though their contributions did not change the course of things then, what they left are valuable experience for future reference and we know the library did not go without a well fought arguement against the final decision. that stays as a record, in future when similar things are going to happen, we can look back at that particular chapter to start the discourse going again. it's not always about winning the authorities, it speaks of how much the people care enough to even make the effort to offer alternatives to the norm.

but i just find it really like a mockery. poor needs money, and government here openly declaring throwing 600 million into a stadium. it just doesn't seem right.:(

edit: but i do find this new stadium very appealling. the water-front and the funky shape is really very refreshing. i just find that by stating so openly that garment is spending so much on a new stadium, it really seems to be like mocking at those poors who really need moeny now.

CS has a no politics policy, so i can't say too much about that. i believe the straitstimes forum will welcome your letter on the issue you see.

will the soccer ball fly out of tat gap ? wat a waste to have a gap there ? it can be created with more seats....

Hi, the best example of effort being rewarded is Chek Jawa. =)

There, now satay can suck thumb and keep quiet already.. I'm sure you remember what this was about? =D

but i just find it really like a mockery. poor needs money, and government here openly declaring throwing 600 million into a stadium. it just doesn't seem right.:(

...The poor always need money... If not they will not be poor...

And I hope I'm not being too condescending in saying that there will always be poor. And we still have to move on, while trying to help them out along the way. But a fine balance has to be maintained. You cannot just spoonfeed them, no? Else where would there be any incentive to work harder?

I can tell you that every country has its poor, and there are times when you cannot just spend all the extra money on the poor. It is a very ludicrous suggestion to say that the 600 million should be spent on some new-fangled progress package or something. Do you think China has its poor? Definitely. Yet look at the Olympics drive. It is draining a lot of resources.

it is not a resentment against new or fanciful design. hey, i've accepted the durian designs long ago, what else i couldn't accept??

main grouse, the design is pathetic and if it reminds me of the world's oldest profession, then again i might haf the world's most fantastic imagination, but it really looks awful.

so wads the "wow" factor? the form (horseshoe design) or d function (a place tt will b used by many), or d price?

hope the new stadium will b a place we will b proud enough to call our own! :heart:

night86mare said:
Do you know how much stadiums cost to build or not?
Google "stadium construction price" hor. I see a lot of "billions" mentioned, not millions.
I love how people like to state things without any facts to back them up.

If we need to cough up billions of dollars to build a stadium, then i think we are getting our priorities wrong.

I love how people focus on the wow factor over a social issue.

:lovegrin: :sweatsm: :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.