Something different...


Status
Not open for further replies.

Stereobox

Senior Member
Dec 21, 2003
2,116
0
0
Cocteau Twins
Is posting of web links allowed here, instead of just pics? Here's a good site (imho) of some nice portraiture (of some very famous people)... don't worry, no bikini shots so far ;p

1. Dennis Keeley

feel free to add on to the list!
 

Stereobox

Senior Member
Dec 21, 2003
2,116
0
0
Cocteau Twins
upz for a super old thread

although my 'tendencies' have changed somewhat....hope to get more ppl to share their favorite websites here
 

student

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2004
3,074
0
0
When I looked at the sites by Dennis and Gorman, I was expecting to see "SOMETHING DIFFERENT".

But I did not.

These photographers showed nice images, but I did not see "SOMETHING DIFFERENT".
 

reachme2003

Senior Member
Oct 6, 2003
3,733
0
0
to each his own.
 

student

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2004
3,074
0
0
reachme2003 said:
to each his own.

Art is of course "To each his own".

The issue here is the TS wrote "Something different".

I am not at all saying that these images are not nice. But just that I do not see what is so different in these images.
 

GitS

New Member
Dec 18, 2002
764
0
0
Visit site
haha dude, you are treading dangerously close to being an elitist here..(and no, we will not eat cake)..nothing special to you but the community at large here undobtedly are on different stages of their photographic journey plus the progression is certainly not linear and definitely not confined to a single vector. free your mind.
 

student

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2004
3,074
0
0
GitS said:
free your mind.

I am but a student, and most eager to see "something different". I hope my mind is free to see something different. I hope my mind is not close. But my visual cortex tells me that what I saw was not something different.

Since you advised me to free my mind, I assume yours is free. Can you educate me, please? Enlighten me on what is "something different" in these images? Something that has not been shown again and again and again and again?

Mind you, I have absolutely no problem with seeing similar images again and again, when they are well done. But there are very few "something different" around.

Want to see "Something different"? Here are two suggestions


www.connieimboden.com

www.arnorafaelminkkinen.org
 

Stereobox

Senior Member
Dec 21, 2003
2,116
0
0
Cocteau Twins
i started this thread (june 2004) partly in reaction to the 'kind' of images i was seeing posted in CS at the time (hence, the reference to 'bikini shots')

the title 'something different' applies very specifically to the context of "portraits and poses" forum at the time.

the point is also to get people to share hyperlinks to websites that inspire them.

and that aim is still relevant! so do share if you 'feel' there's something worthwhile.
 

Stereobox

Senior Member
Dec 21, 2003
2,116
0
0
Cocteau Twins
even though i said my 'tendencies' have changed somewhat,

i will still stick by my original post of having shared a "good site (imho) of some nice portraiture (of some very famous people)" :)
 

student

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2004
3,074
0
0
Stereobox said:
even though i said my 'tendencies' have changed somewhat,

i will still stick by my original post of having shared a "good site (imho) of some nice portraiture (of some very famous people)" :)

Indeed you had shared a good site. I like these images and in the context that you posted, they are "different" from the bikini shots.

But these kinds of images are quite common, especially those of celebrities!

The images by Connie are truly "different" representing something very different. And so are the images of Arno.

These are not just nice portraits of celebrities and people. These show a different way of seeing. Truly different.
 

Stereobox

Senior Member
Dec 21, 2003
2,116
0
0
Cocteau Twins
thx for sharing , Student. Connie Imboden's is truly :thumbsup:
 

PhotoDog

Member
Nov 13, 2004
143
0
16
Tampines
student said:
Art is of course "To each his own".

The issue here is the TS wrote "Something different".

I am not at all saying that these images are not nice. But just that I do not see what is so different in these images.
Well, "something different" is very subjective. Take for example, if you look at object A everyday but never look at object B before. Object B will be something different when you see it. Vice vesa for a person who has seen object B everyday and never look at object A before.

Just my chaotic thought today.

CK
 

AngelZhou

New Member
Jul 12, 2005
1,415
0
0
32
HoUgaNg (Any stalker? lol)
student said:
Thanks for sharing the website, they are trully awesome.

As for TS, he started this thread long time ago and by that time his vision most likely wont be the same as now. I believe stereobox know much more now than before :) And if i dont misinterpret him wrongly it's more to 'something different than those bikini shoot posted in portrait and pose section'

As for something different, I'm agree with PhotoDog something different is subjective. Angel never leave in forest so living in forest gonna be something different! But those people who stay in jungle, put them on HDB, and they will feel something different.
I believe the remark of something different is very indeed different from one to another, therefore I think in this context it's more to 'something different according to me.' After all, how different is different?

But again, personal view varies from one another. I think that's whats interesting about it. It's very personal.
 

student

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2004
3,074
0
0
AngelZhou said:
Thanks for sharing the website, they are trully awesome.

As for TS, he started this thread long time ago and by that time his vision most likely wont be the same as now. I believe stereobox know much more now than before :) And if i dont misinterpret him wrongly it's more to 'something different than those bikini shoot posted in portrait and pose section'

As for something different, I'm agree with PhotoDog something different is subjective. Angel never leave in forest so living in forest gonna be something different! But those people who stay in jungle, put them on HDB, and they will feel something different.
I believe the remark of something different is very indeed different from one to another, therefore I think in this context it's more to 'something different according to me.' After all, how different is different?

But again, personal view varies from one another. I think that's whats interesting about it. It's very personal.

I understand what stereobox meant when he clarified the context of the choice of his title. It was to show "something different" from bikinis girls. And again, yes, in that context, the images are different.

I was looking at these images from a wider perspective. Not CS. Looking at these images from a wider perspectives, these are well taken images and worthy to look at. But they are NOT "something different". There are many, many, many photographers who make similar images.

I gave the examples of Connie and Arno to show what truly "Something different" is from the perspective of photography, not CS which is really a very, very, tiny group of people interested in photography.

I can name a lot more. But I think these will suffice for the time being.

And CS will be spared my ramblings for the next week. I will be leaving for India tomorow!
 

Status
Not open for further replies.