So should I get new or used? 1st DLSR purchaser!

Ok understand that..but which one? 18-55? 18-135? or 18-200? I'm not sure how much zoom i actually do need and i think 18-200 lens are outta my budget..

I've seen a couple of Sigma 18-200 Non-OS lens going for $300+ used..but of cos the question is again how do i check them..

Which kit lens really depends on which camera you get. But most probably you can only get 18-55 with your budget.

Sigma non-OS 18-200 is not that great a lens. But it doesn't mean you cannot make good pictures with it.

$700-800 for a used camera like 500D is too much imo.
Thought its a good camera, imo there has been a leap in terms of sensor performance and noise reduction algo since that (sadly within a year)

For $798 you can get a brand new Pentax Kx with a 18-55mm kit lens. The camera does come with great high iso JPEG quality that in fact slightly better that a D90 (even with the same sensor)
Sample picts @ISO3200
Kx - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/FULLRES/KXINBI03200.HTM
D90 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D90/FULLRES/D90INBI3200.HTM
500D - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T1I/FULLRES/T1IINBI03200.HTM

The camera is backward compatible to all older K-mount lenses, so no confusion to older (ie. cheaper while as good) lenses not being usable.

Any body from canon, nikon, pentax etc will do fine, just rmb u are buying into a system, not just a camera and lens. Choose your 1st step wisely...

And screw the zoom if possible... Get a prime!

Wow you are the only one so far to recommend buying the basic DSLR..I must admit I'm leaning more towards buying a used one becos I can get a higher-end model at the same price but u are right..I do not noe what to look for when getting it..only the aesthetics..

The thing I'm afraid is i might get sian of the low-end basic DSLR that i'll yearn for a better one soon..and then spend more money! Also if I do get the basic DSLR..would getting better lens be wasted on them?

Anyway I do see your postings and they are mostly full of knowledge so I would take into serious consideration what u have said! And the links u have provided are pretty amazing!

What I did was purchased a first hand DSLR, then, got a better DSLR used. I felt like upgrading again, and sold both the DSLR to get and even better used one. ;p

Last edited:
Hey guys..this is my virgin post! Was introduced to this place by my younger sis who just got into photography..but being a newbie also she couldn't gimme any expert advice so I thot I'll ask it here!

I'm looking to upgrade to a DSLR..currently using a Lumix DMC-FZ28..dunno if it's considered a semi-pro or what..whilst it takes decent pictures..I wanna try my hand at a DSLR..now I understand what Exposure and ISO and Aperture are and what i does when taking pics..the only thing I haven't figured out is metering and stuff..and of cos how to use a program to touch up on pics but that's a question for another time..

So right now I do not have a big budget..after reading some threads here..I think I better give some ideas b4 asking for advice..basically i'll be taking alot of holiday shots..so it's prolly like city/nature/scenery shots with ppl in them..and I guess i'd hafta take alot of pics at night or low-light conditions..so that's wat the camera will be used most of the time..as I've said I do not have a big budget so I'm stuck between a few options. Do not wanna spend more than $1K.

So..what should I do with my budget?

1. Get a used DSLR body? I've seen some going for around $700-800(Canon 500D 450D) but I'm not familiar with the models and how old or what range they are. With the rest of my budget maybe get a good set of lens?

2. Get a very basic DSLR like Nikon D3000 D5000 or Canon 1000D? Even with kit lens they fit comfortably into my budget. But are they any good at all? If they are not much better than the camera I'm currently holding then I might not wanna upgrade at all.

My main purpose of wanting to move to DSLR is of cos to take better quality pics..the Lumix can take decent pics but I've seen the pics my sis took with her Canon 550D and they are magnificent!

So what do you think I should do? Not asking which camera is better but should I be getting a used Camera or go for those very basic DSLR..please do lemme know what you think guys..I wanna get one in time for my Europe trip in 3 weeks time! TIA!

i think best for you to think about whether you will stay in this hobby for long, or will you be running off to something new soon.thats what you should decide first before the camera. liked for me, my dad enjoys photography. so if i dont like, or sian liao, i can always pass it to him

Which kit lens really depends on which camera you get. But most probably you can only get 18-55 with your budget.

Sigma non-OS 18-200 is not that great a lens. But it doesn't mean you cannot make good pictures with it.
Let's just say I get the basic entry level DSLR like D5000 or 1000D..I can prolly afford better lens..but would they be a waste on a basic DSLR?

Any body from canon, nikon, pentax etc will do fine, just rmb u are buying into a system, not just a camera and lens. Choose your 1st step wisely...

And screw the zoom if possible... Get a prime!
Well..I need to have a little zoom at least for my holiday photos! :)

TS, get an affordable 450D/1000D and share lens with your sis. When you find that you need more, then upgrade from it to something more advanced like 50D/60D(rumoured to be on its way)

probably advisable to get canon so you can discuss/ share equipment with your sis.

btw, good lens on an entry cam can make wonders..crap lens on high end body can make crappy image...anyway, how crappy can a dslr sensor be right...confirm much much better than a compact/prosumer.

Last edited:
Well..I need to have a little zoom at least for my holiday photos! :)

if you are really just using it for this holiday then just get everything basic....

if not then you have to think carefully what will you be willing to keep and use frequently.. getting a huge zoom like 18-200, will you be willing to lug it around? or more comfortable with just sticking to the kit lens small, lightweight, good enough to use everyday.. or a tamron 17-50 f2.8 good IQ, good aperture, suitable for daily use, for portraits etc...

Let's just say I get the basic entry level DSLR like D5000 or 1000D..I can prolly afford better lens..but would they be a waste on a basic DSLR?

Not really, I started with the 1000D with the efs 10-22mm working in really cold conditions. I think it is knowing how to optimize the camera & lens to take good pictures.

Now I am using the 7D, but I still like my trusty 1000D, which allows me to prop myself and difficult angles and take shot with one hand as it is a lot lighter than the 7D.

HDR picture taken with 1000D with efs 10-22mm in Jan 2010 along moscow river. I took the pictures in RAW format and a lot of details are capture with a 10MP sensor.

4242348458_7f02d0fc12_z.jpg

4241575873_d6989c52da_z.jpg

What u may really want to invest is a very good tripod and a shutter release cable... :)

Nope. It wont be a waste, you only face limitations from the camera body when trying to shoot certain stuff(i.e slower FPS and etc)

A couple years back when i was surfing this forum, i remember someone showing an awesome photo produced by a canon L lens...on a EOS 300D body.

D5000 have no screw drive - means lens need to have motor for AF (more expensive Nikon lenses I presume).

Unlike D90 which have built in screw drive in body - the lenses are smaller and cheaper without motor (e.g. 50mm f1.8 =$200 only!)

Pentax K-X also have screw drive in body - but their 50mm comes in f1.4 (tiny but cost $560). They don't come in f1.8 though.

Read up the lens price first.... price guides section.

Not really, I started with the 1000D with the efs 10-22mm working in really cold conditions. I think it is knowing how to optimize the camera & lens to take good pictures.

Now I am using the 7D, but I still like my trusty 1000D, which allows me to prop myself and difficult angles and take shot with one hand as it is a lot lighter than the 7D.

HDR picture taken with 1000D with efs 10-22mm in Jan 2010 along moscow river. I took the pictures in RAW format and a lot of details are capture with a 10MP sensor.

What u may really want to invest is a very good tripod and a shutter release cable... :)

:Applause:
Nice ones :)
Its not only the camera ;)

Wow..awesome pics! Did it require alot of PP?

So I was at Vivo just now and I dropped by the Canon shop and spent about 30mins there playing with the DLSRs..tried the 1000D 500D 50D and 7D..haha! Well..I'd really love the 50D but it's way off my budget..even for used..somehow I din like the way the 1000D felt in the hand..so i spent alot of time trying out the 500D and it's pretty similar to my sister's 550D..tried all the different modes with my limited knowledge and of cos with the LCD can't really see the full effect for the pics but I must say I really like them..hmm..the body only 500D is going for slightly over $1K..wonder if it'll be cheaper at AP or SLR or MS Color?

So I was at Vivo just now and I dropped by the Canon shop and spent about 30mins there playing with the DLSRs..tried the 1000D 500D 50D and 7D..haha! Well..I'd really love the 50D but it's way off my budget..even for used..somehow I din like the way the 1000D felt in the hand..so i spent alot of time trying out the 500D and it's pretty similar to my sister's 550D..tried all the different modes with my limited knowledge and of cos with the LCD can't really see the full effect for the pics but I must say I really like them..hmm..the body only 500D is going for slightly over $1K..wonder if it'll be cheaper at AP or SLR or MS Color?

Check out the price guides section for price reference.

CMOS doesn't mean it has less noise. CCD doesn't mean it has more noise.

I see CCDs being used in Medium format digital backs and they have a lot less noise than any CMOS sensor.

So, please understand the real differences between CMOS and CCD and the technology behind those acronyms before jumping in and saying one is better than the other and mislead others.

Among the current APS-C models, only D3000 and Alpha 2 & 3 series use CCD and the noise level for the same ISO is reputedly worse compared to other entry level CMOS cameras with APS-C size like sensors like D5000 & 1000D. Also how can we compare APS-C size CMOS sensor with Medium format CCD sensor which is much bigger. Not fair right?

Maybe my facts are wrong but that is based on what I know and I had no intention to mislead and was just sincerely trying to give advice. I don't mind if you correct me if I am wrong but I think you should not imply that I am either intentionally or irresponsibly giving wrong advice.

I didn't like the grip of the lower end Canons too, which is why I bought something else :)

Just wondering, is your sister willing to lend you her camera for 3 weeks?