So should I get new or used? 1st DLSR purchaser!

SmOcKxY

Aug 16, 2010
Hey guys..this is my virgin post! Was introduced to this place by my younger sis who just got into photography..but being a newbie also she couldn't gimme any expert advice so I thot I'll ask it here!

I'm looking to upgrade to a DSLR..currently using a Lumix DMC-FZ28..dunno if it's considered a semi-pro or what..whilst it takes decent pictures..I wanna try my hand at a DSLR..now I understand what Exposure and ISO and Aperture are and what i does when taking pics..the only thing I haven't figured out is metering and stuff..and of cos how to use a program to touch up on pics but that's a question for another time..

So right now I do not have a big budget..after reading some threads here..I think I better give some ideas b4 asking for advice..basically i'll be taking alot of holiday shots..so it's prolly like city/nature/scenery shots with ppl in them..and I guess i'd hafta take alot of pics at night or low-light conditions..so that's wat the camera will be used most of the time..as I've said I do not have a big budget so I'm stuck between a few options. Do not wanna spend more than $1K.

So..what should I do with my budget?

1. Get a used DSLR body? I've seen some going for around $700-800(Canon 500D 450D) but I'm not familiar with the models and how old or what range they are. With the rest of my budget maybe get a good set of lens?

2. Get a very basic DSLR like Nikon D3000 D5000 or Canon 1000D? Even with kit lens they fit comfortably into my budget. But are they any good at all? If they are not much better than the camera I'm currently holding then I might not wanna upgrade at all.

My main purpose of wanting to move to DSLR is of cos to take better quality pics..the Lumix can take decent pics but I've seen the pics my sis took with her Canon 550D and they are magnificent!

So what do you think I should do? Not asking which camera is better but should I be getting a used Camera or go for those very basic DSLR..please do lemme know what you think guys..I wanna get one in time for my Europe trip in 3 weeks time! TIA!

Get a used one with CMOS (rather than CCD) sensor as noise is lower at higher ISO. Get canon, then you can share lens with your sis. 450D or 500D should be ok. When picture taking skills and camera handling have improved, then you can sell and upgrade.

500D would be better because its a newer version. Just make sure you know how to check the camera before buying. There are threads here that would be helpful.

Agree with chan about going with Canon so you can share with ur sis if any one of you purchase a good lens.

Get used dSLR instead - it works like a new one IMO. Just make sure the condition and mileage is good.

$800+ budget can get you a 2nd hand EOS 40D/500D body. If you take the 40D this will provide additional functionality over the XXXD series and the 1000D(which is quite basic) and you will come to appreciate it, though video recording function is lacking.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the prompt response..yeah my sis did mention that if I buy Canon we can share lens..she has the kit II lens which is 18-135 and she bought another prime lens..if tokking about CMOS sensor only then the Nikon D3000 will be out..i'm almost not giving this option any thot becos though they are cheap..i'm afraid i'll outgrow them pretty fast..so i may take the used DSLR route..for this..450D or 500D looks like good choices becos I still have some money left for lens..D90/550D is still going for +/- $1K and it leaves me no money for some accessories at all..

I'll check out the threads on how to check camera but just to ask quickly..what age camera should I avoid getting? FOr 450D i'm sure most are more than a year old..500D some are still less than 1 year old..as for 40D..I'm sure it's be older to get them at the $700-$800 bracket but I'm not sure i'll ever be looking at 50D with my kinda budget? Also there are no way to check the shutter count at all right? Would it better to just send in and get the service centre to do a service anyway? How much would that be on the average?

I'll check out the threads on how to check camera but just to ask quickly..what age camera should I avoid getting? FOr 450D i'm sure most are more than a year old..500D some are still less than 1 year old..as for 40D..I'm sure it's be older to get them at the $700-$800 bracket but I'm not sure i'll ever be looking at 50D with my kinda budget? Also there are no way to check the shutter count at all right? Would it better to just send in and get the service centre to do a service anyway? How much would that be on the average?

A <1 year to 1 year old dSLR will do fine for you. Nothing wrong with older ones(2 years)+ but you will risk more wear & tear and potentially failing parts as the price get cheaper.

A used 40D body is going for 800+ now, with perhaps the grip included. If you want a 2nd hand 50D(esp the first few batches) you will have to fork out a few hundred more as it's going for 1.1k to 1.2k+ in the market now.

The only way to check the shutter count is to send it to CSC, cheapest option is sensor cleaning @ $20 since u cna ask them to check for you. But at the point of dealing with seller, it's entirely up to the seller if he will be honest or dishonest with the shutter count.

Canon dSLRs now have a lifespan of 100k, and that is based on just the shutter itself which can be replaced for a fee.

Last edited:
get a canon 500D used for about 700-800... then used the money to get another lens.. maybe a third party lens...

as for the checking of camera/lens, better to make sure you check before you buy... don't really need to see how old but the usage and condition.. some people have it for 6 months only but they really "abused" the camera.. while some have it for a year plus but rarely shoot...

i bought mine 2nd hand too..

great to have a sister to share lens with~!!! haha, save money... each one pay half for the lens...

then monday, wed, fri you use, tues, thurs, saturday she use... sunday give the cameras a break~!!

A <1 year to 1 year old dSLR will do fine for you. Nothing wrong with older ones(2 years)+ but you will risk more wear & tear and potentially failing parts as the price get cheaper.

A used 40D body is going for 800+ now, with perhaps the grip included. If you want a 2nd hand 50D(esp the first few batches) you will have to fork out a few hundred more as it's going for 1.1k to 1.2k+ in the market now.

The only way to check the shutter count is to send it to CSC, cheapest option is sensor cleaning @ $20 since u cna ask them to check for you. But at the point of dealing with seller, it's entirely up to the seller if he will be honest or dishonest with the shutter count.

Canon dSLRs now have a lifespan of 100k, and that is based on just the shutter itself which can be replaced for a fee.

So it's ok to purchase a 1+yr DSLR? So the servicing is just $20? Dun most Canon DSLR have like a auto sensor-cleaning everytime you turn it off? I read somewhere that the shutter can be changed for like $130-$150..if that's the case then it's not so ex issit?

Would a older 40D or a newer 500D be a better choice then considering can get both used at $800?

get a canon 500D used for about 700-800... then used the money to get another lens.. maybe a third party lens...

as for the checking of camera/lens, better to make sure you check before you buy... don't really need to see how old but the usage and condition.. some people have it for 6 months only but they really "abused" the camera.. while some have it for a year plus but rarely shoot...

i bought mine 2nd hand too..

great to have a sister to share lens with~!!! haha, save money... each one pay half for the lens...

then monday, wed, fri you use, tues, thurs, saturday she use... sunday give the cameras a break~!!

That's what i thot..asymmetrical information will no doubt be present..most times seller will hide some "truth" in order to move the camera..and we'll never know..u can drop the camera yet maybe just get a small scratch somewhere but the damage is done on the inside..i guess this is the risk u hafta take if no budget to buy new! May I ask what camera u bought and at how much?

As for the lens..well she'll be going for this europe trip with me too so I hafta get at least 1 set of lens to bring along..I noe Canon lens can be quite expensive..carrying a 18-200 would be sufficient but these lens are not cheap! What other lens can i get for now to suit my usage? I'm pretty sure at some point either me or my sis would wanna upgrade to better lens!

go for 40D, the prices have dipped significantly recently. Am using a 40D myself, am really tempted to get a 2nd one now becoz of the price drop.

Since you are new to DSLR, if getting used, go get one that still have warranty.
And go for Canon since your sister is using the same.

Stretch your budget to around 1.2K and get either a 40D or 500D plus a Tamron 17-50f2.8 and you will love the photos. The 500D is very similar to your sis' 550D, so how does it feel in your hands? The 40D is larger and heavier, more manly and very rugged.

Get a used one with CMOS (rather than CCD) sensor as noise is lower at higher ISO. Get canon, then you can share lens with your sis. 450D or 500D should be ok. When picture taking skills and camera handling have improved, then you can sell and upgrade.

CMOS doesn't mean it has less noise. CCD doesn't mean it has more noise.

I see CCDs being used in Medium format digital backs and they have a lot less noise than any CMOS sensor.

So, please understand the real differences between CMOS and CCD and the technology behind those acronyms before jumping in and saying one is better than the other and mislead others.

That's what i thot..asymmetrical information will no doubt be present..most times seller will hide some "truth" in order to move the camera..and we'll never know..u can drop the camera yet maybe just get a small scratch somewhere but the damage is done on the inside..i guess this is the risk u hafta take if no budget to buy new! May I ask what camera u bought and at how much?

As for the lens..well she'll be going for this europe trip with me too so I hafta get at least 1 set of lens to bring along..I noe Canon lens can be quite expensive..carrying a 18-200 would be sufficient but these lens are not cheap! What other lens can i get for now to suit my usage? I'm pretty sure at some point either me or my sis would wanna upgrade to better lens!

hey SmOcKxY... i bought the 500D that i'm using.. got it together with a 50mm 1.8 prime.. perfect for what i like to take.. and good value too since it was just about 6 months old.. i got the set for like 800+...

but for you i don't recommend getting a 50mm 1.8... becos you will be traveling and using a prime lens will be a headache.. go for something that will give you good image quality and a decent zoom... seriously you don't need those longer zoom or superzooms... the 18-135 & 18-200 are not that good.. you will end up paying for convenience and nothing more.. then when you come back from ur trip you will wan to sell the lens and buy new one.. no point..

i've travelled around Europe too.. having a nice zoom like the Tamron 17-50 works just fine.. people always say 50mm is short but for the scenery and nice buildings and churches and mountains.. is pretty good le.. some more that lens has constant aperture of 2.8... meaning you will have less issues with taking a photo in a german restaurant with low lighting, in a nice street at night, or along the river in Vienna...

Its perfectly suitable for both ur sister's 550D and for ur 500D (if you do get it) and its pretty cheap ard $500 (the non VC version).. also since your sister is having a lens that has a range from 18-135, no point getting something of that same range.. with the 17-50 you all can switch around when needed.. or if someone is lazy to bring camera out at night then just bring the tamron, with f2.8 don't need to bring flash even~!

oh ya.. if you need tips for places in Europe can PM me.. see if i have been there before..
:D

go for 40D, the prices have dipped significantly recently. Am using a 40D myself, am really tempted to get a 2nd one now becoz of the price drop.

I've look at the classifieds section and saw some nice 40D going for $650-$800..the diff is of cos in age but I can't really tell which is well-used or which is well taken care of..

Stretch your budget to around 1.2K and get either a 40D or 500D plus a Tamron 17-50f2.8 and you will love the photos. The 500D is very similar to your sis' 550D, so how does it feel in your hands? The 40D is larger and heavier, more manly and very rugged.

I would love to stretch my budget but i really can't..my wife doesn't approve of me spending so much but I persuaded it's becos I wanna atek nicer pics of her then she ok-ed my purchase! haha!

The 550D does feel light imo..almost abit like a toy..even my lumix feels abit more solid..

With your limited knowledge in DSLR at this time, I would strongly encourage you to go for a new entry level DSLR with kit lens. If you go for a 2nd hand one, you will not know what to look for, and there is a high chance it may end up being a bad experience for you.

For your budget, look for an entry level camera + kit, the more popular ones are:

Pentax K-x
Nikon D3000 (replacement D3100 coming out soon)
Canon 1000D
Sony A230 or the new A290

But if you still want to go 2nd hand. All I can say is "Good Luck". It's your money anyway. But make sure you do tons of research, and know what to check for in a 2nd hand set INSIDE OUT. And if you do run into problems with a 2nd hand set, you can always post a complaint in "Consumer's corner". It will most probably not solve any problems for you, but at least you will get to vent.

Good luck...

In the meantime, you can start reading about phototaking techniques...

Good start here:

Camera basics
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Last edited:
CMOS doesn't mean it has less noise. CCD doesn't mean it has more noise.

I see CCDs being used in Medium format digital backs and they have a lot less noise than any CMOS sensor.

So, please understand the real differences between CMOS and CCD and the technology behind those acronyms before jumping in and saying one is better than the other and mislead others.

I'm not even gonna start thinking I noe what u are saying here..haha!

I've look at the classifieds section and saw some nice 40D going for $650-$800..the diff is of cos in age but I can't really tell which is well-used or which is well taken care of..

Our Buy&Sell section requires the seller to indicate condition of the item. Then check with the seller on why the condition is rated as such.

Alternatively, you can arrange a non-obligation meet up to view the 40D and test it for yourself.

Our Buy&Sell section requires the seller to indicate condition of the item. Then check with the seller on why the condition is rated as such.

Alternatively, you can arrange a non-obligation meet up to view the 40D and test it for yourself.

Yes.. problem now is, with such limited knowledge in DSLR in the first place, how will TS be able to test any camera properly? I mean, even experienced shooters are getting ripped off or conned once in a while and complaining like hell here in CS. :dunno: