So should I get new or used? 1st DLSR purchaser!

I'm not even gonna start thinking I noe what u are saying here..haha!

LOL. Just know that CMOS sensor is not automatically nor is it always better than CCD sensors.

Judge each camera on its own merit. Compare shots between models to get the real idea. Depending on just reading specs without real knowledge will get you no where.

I'm like you, looking out for a DSLR.
The Pentax K-X is on top of my list...

Reasons:
1) 2010 TIPA award winning entry level DSLR
2) It's got a sensor that comparable to Nikon D90 in Hi ISO performance (and better than 500D according to DPreview) - best in class:thumbsup:
3) Unbeatable price:
Pentax K-X + 18-55mm = $782
Pentax K-X + 18-55mm + 50-200mm = $899
Pentax K-X + 18-55mm +55-300mm = $1103

But it's got it's fair share of shortfalls:
No indicator light in view finder.
Low res LCD
AA batteries a minus to some but plus to others

However the list of Pros is much longer than list of cons - and few camera can boast of this. Check it out at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page29.asp

Read up and ask around before committing anything...

Last edited:
With your limited knowledge in DSLR at this time, I would strongly encourage you to go for a new entry level DSLR with kit lens. If you go for a 2nd hand one, you will not know what to look for, and there is a high chance it may end up being a bad experience for you.

For your budget, look for an entry level camera + kit, the more popular ones are:

Pentax K-x
Nikon D3000 (replacement D3100 coming out soon)
Canon 1000D
Sony A230 or the new A290

But if you still want to go 2nd hand. All I can say is "Good Luck". It's your money anyway. But make sure you do tons of research, and know what to check for in a 2nd hand set INSIDE OUT. And if you do run into problems with a 2nd hand set, you can always post a complaint in "Consumer's corner". It will most probably not solve any problems for you, but at least you will get to vent.

Good luck...

In the meantime, you can start reading about phototaking techniques...

Good start here:

Camera basics
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Wow you are the only one so far to recommend buying the basic DSLR..I must admit I'm leaning more towards buying a used one becos I can get a higher-end model at the same price but u are right..I do not noe what to look for when getting it..only the aesthetics..

The thing I'm afraid is i might get sian of the low-end basic DSLR that i'll yearn for a better one soon..and then spend more money! Also if I do get the basic DSLR..would getting better lens be wasted on them?

Anyway I do see your postings and they are mostly full of knowledge so I would take into serious consideration what u have said! And the links u have provided are pretty amazing!

Our Buy&Sell section requires the seller to indicate condition of the item. Then check with the seller on why the condition is rated as such.

Alternatively, you can arrange a non-obligation meet up to view the 40D and test it for yourself.

Of cos I'll view the unit b4 handing over the money but I have no idea what test shots to do or what "damage" to look for..i can only see the aesthetics which gives me some ideas as to how the camera is handled but not how "used" it is..

If you are interested in buying new Canon system, you might want to consider using the "Canon PRIVILEGE PURCHASE PROGRAM", you can get 20.5% off retail pricing.

You can read more about it here.
Canon PRIVILEGE PURCHASE PROGRAM

Here is a link to the canon website retail price
Canon DSLR

So it's ok to purchase a 1+yr DSLR? So the servicing is just $20? Dun most Canon DSLR have like a auto sensor-cleaning everytime you turn it off? I read somewhere that the shutter can be changed for like $130-$150..if that's the case then it's not so ex issit?

Would a older 40D or a newer 500D be a better choice then considering can get both used at $800?

I'm not sure about the shutter replacement cost sorry. Yes, EOS 40D & 400D onward have integrated sensor cleaning system but it's not 100% effective.

Whether to get the XXD or XXXD series dSLR is entirely up to you. Some people say XXXD is better for starters like you since it's small but to me(i own a 30D) larger sized dSLR has its' advantages like the secondary LCD, 8 way multicontroller joystick and the quick control dial(the wheel) which can be used to adjust ISO on the fly.

My suggestion is to head down the Canon "showroom" in Vivocity and get your hands on the demo XXXD and XXD camera there. Touch and feel all you want, because you'll be handling one later :)

I'm like you, looking out for a DSLR.
The Pentax K-X is on top of my list...

Reasons:
1) 2010 TIPA award winning entry level DSLR
2) It's got a sensor that comparable to Nikon D90 in Hi ISO performance (and better than 500D according to DPreview) - best in class:thumbsup:
3) Unbeatable price:
Pentax K-X + 18-55mm = $782
Pentax K-X + 18-55mm + 50-200mm = $899
Pentax K-X + 18-55mm +55-300mm = $1103

But it's got it's fair share of shortfalls:
No indicator light in view finder.
Low res LCD
AA batteries a minus to some but plus to others

However the list of Pros is much longer than list of cons - and few camera can boast of this. Check it out at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page29.asp

Read up and ask around before committing anything...

Wow the price does look uber impressive! Have you gotten yers already?

Wow you are the only one so far to recommend buying the basic DSLR..I must admit I'm leaning more towards buying a used one becos I can get a higher-end model at the same price but u are right..I do not noe what to look for when getting it..only the aesthetics..

The thing I'm afraid is i might get sian of the low-end basic DSLR that i'll yearn for a better one soon..and then spend more money! Also if I do get the basic DSLR..would getting better lens be wasted on them?

Anyway I do see your postings and they are mostly full of knowledge so I would take into serious consideration what u have said! And the links u have provided are pretty amazing!

Simple:

1. Broken high-end camera is still less useful than a good new entry level camera.
2. If worry about getting "sian" of entry level camera, then DON'T BUY, till you saved enough money.
3. Whether you want to consider my advice is up to you. Once I give them, it is up to you to make your own decision.
4. Since you are starting from scratch, I seriously doubt you can master any DSLR (entry level or not) so fast that you will outgrow it within a short time. So no worries about getting "sian" too quickly.
5. Great pictures come mostly from evoking feeling/emotion from pictures. 60% of the picture is getting the composition right. the other 40% comes from getting technicalities right, like exposure, distortions, color rendition, PP, etc etc etc...
6. People have been producing excellent pictures with old lousy cameras since the old times. I don't see them complaining.

Give you an example. Shot with a lousy prosumer (something like your FZ28, just much much older)... picture is full of noise. color is no good... etc etc... but it doesn't matter (not to me at least), the emotion comes from the image in the picture.
3580493418_fe0792a896.jpg

And this came from an even older 5mp PnS.
3556881256_414a55d4bd_z.jpg

Yes.. problem now is, with such limited knowledge in DSLR in the first place, how will TS be able to test any camera properly? I mean, even experienced shooters are getting ripped off or conned once in a while and complaining like hell here in CS. :dunno:
Agree...
So another option is for TS to bring along a friend who "knows" a camera very well

Wow the price does look uber impressive! Have you gotten yers already?

Actually I'm also looking at the Canon 550D too, but it's more costly. Then get the Canon 50mm F1.8 lens which is cheap.

Anything below a Canon 550D is a no no for me as 500D ISO performance leaves more to be desired - and I"ll be thinking of upgrading again.

My suggestion is to roughly decide 1 or 2 lenses you want to own first, compare the lens pricing and size between brands. That way your decision will be clearer.

Pentax lens are smaller as the OS is in the body. Canon lens are bigger as OS is in the lens (lens OS reported to be more effective). Also, some brand new Canon primes are cheap and good.... ! Pentax primes are costly (but very small sized!)

If you saw someone with the White Pentax K-X, you could get emotional... it left an impression on me.

Last edited:
Simple:

1. Broken high-end camera is still less useful than a good new entry level camera.
2. If worry about getting "sian" of entry level camera, then DON'T BUY, till you saved enough money.
3. Whether you want to consider my advice is up to you. Once I give them, it is up to you to make your own decision.
4. Since you are starting from scratch, I seriously doubt you can master any DSLR (entry level or not) so fast that you will outgrow it within a short time. So no worries about getting "sian" too quickly.
5. Great pictures come mostly from evoking feeling/emotion from pictures. 60% of the picture is getting the composition right. the other 40% comes from getting technicalities right, like exposure, distortions, color rendition, PP, etc etc etc...
6. People have been producing excellent pictures with old lousy cameras since the old times. I don't see them complaining.

Give you an example. Shot with a lousy prosumer (something like your FZ28, just much much older)... picture is full of noise. color is no good... etc etc... but it doesn't matter (not to me at least), the emotion comes from the image in the picture.

Wow.... these are very nice pictures... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simple:

Thanks for your inputs nonetheless..I'm not that new to photography actually(i mean do noe the basics to photography)..just never handle a DSLR b4..that's why my question is not whether which brand/model can take better photos(or why) but rather more like with my budget should I get a new or used DSLR..and I'm not familiar with all the technology behind it and also what lenses to get for what..

In this case..let's say I do go either way..what kinda lens should I be looking at for my usage?

Agree...
So another option is for TS to bring along a friend who "knows" a camera very well

Actually I do have a fren who is a photographer by trade..maybe can bring him along if i do get one used..just that now he's very busy so dun wanna trouble him with my newbie DSLR questions..haha!

Agree...

Ya bro.. just hope they don't ask you... unless they willing to pay you by the hour. :bsmilie:

Nowadays people very lucky la. In the old days.. where got so good life? Load a roll of film and you have to stick with that ISO till the roll is done. ;)

Actually I'm also looking at the Canon 550D, but it's more costly. Then get the Canon 50mm F1.8 lens which is cheap.

Anything below a Canon 550D is a no no for me as 500D ISO performance leaves more to be desired - and I"ll be thinking of upgrading again.

My suggestion is to roughly decide 1 or 2 lenses you want to own first, compare the lens pricing and size between brands. That way your decision will be clearer.

Pentax lens are smaller as the OS is in the body. Canon lens are bigger as OS is in the lens (lens OS reported to be more effective). Also, some brand new Canon primes are cheap and good.... !
Yes looking at lenses is another headache right now! Dunno what I need to be getting!

Thanks for your inputs nonetheless..I'm not that new to photography actually(i mean do noe the basics to photography)..just never handle a DSLR b4..that's why my question is not whether which brand/model can take better photos(or why) but rather more like with my budget should I get a new or used DSLR..and I'm not familiar with all the technology behind it and also what lenses to get for what..

In this case..let's say I do go either way..what kinda lens should I be looking at for my usage?

Good. So you are not a true newbie. Then you should know that cameras don't take pictures, photographers do. So don't worry too much about lower end higher end.

For your budget, you don't have a choice. Kit lens is the only way to go.

Last edited:
For your budget, you don't have a choice. Kit lens is the only way to go.

Ok understand that..but which one? 18-55? 18-135? or 18-200? I'm not sure how much zoom i actually do need and i think 18-200 lens are outta my budget..

I've seen a couple of Sigma 18-200 Non-OS lens going for $300+ used..but of cos the question is again how do i check them..

hold the camera and get the feel for d40 and d500 see which feel good. a better body like d40 will last you longer before looking for an upgrade. join the outing and learn from other, dont make it so complicated like some saying so much theory. JUST have fun and enjoy it. can always sell off if you dont like it. All my body are second hand, some ppl super compliant better buy new set. i come across one guy tell me cannot remove lens in open area to check the body im buying, he say dust. I almost feel like slapping him , then better use PNS.

LOL ! ...If I was in your shoes, I'll get a bright RED Pentax Kx w/ 18-55 / 55-200 dual lens kit for $899 and irritate the heck out of your sister. :sweatsm:

Like you, I went from a Lumix FZ18 to dslr(currently an Alpha system).

Actually, come to think of it ...I'm quite tempted to get a colored Kx just to irritate the heck outta my wife ! :devil::bsmilie:

Red_cross_001.jpg