Snapping insects in flight

Fast lens, high shutter speed to 'freeze' motion.

Smaller aperture to get enough DOF.

Higher ISO and diffused flash to compensate for light loss if necessary.

Usually, in flights shots for fast moving subjects can be very tedious and waste a lot of shutter counts.

The easier but more expensive way is to manual focus to present in the area you think most subject will fly to and use an infrared trigger sensor to trigger the camera once a subject went pass the sensor. Commonly used by some wildlife photographers who shoot night animals or rare to detect subjects in high areas.

Last edited:
The easier but more expensive way is to manual focus to present in the area you think most subject will fly to and use an infrared trigger sensor to trigger the camera once a subject went pass the sensor. Commonly used by some wildlife photographers who shoot night animals or rare to detect subjects in high areas.
Insects have the same body temperature as the surrounding air. How can you use IR here? For mammals the IR sensor will work. Their body temperature is constant and higher than ambient air.

I believe the trigger is done via a breaking of a line of sight for the sensors. You'd probably need at least 2 separate axis to get a correct fix on the exact point where you want the insect to be. 3 axis would be ideal.

I believe the trigger is done via a breaking of a line of sight for the sensors. You'd probably need at least 2 separate axis to get a correct fix on the exact point where you want the insect to be. 3 axis would be ideal.

Yep :). Actually, many experts DIY their own type of sensors which you can't find in the market. Not easy to do so.

Last edited:
Thank you :) Didn't think of this way.

Like this?

capt.953d9a95df105686601dc644ce485f56.jpeg