SMRT Case Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
they have the same (irritating) announcements broadcast over and over again :bsmilie:
Stand beyond the yellow line at a train platform in Japan for 10mins and u'll hear the same old boring announcement telling u the same thing that we hear here:

"For your own safety, please stand behind the yellow line...."

not everything has to be new!! I love old buildings, old playgrounds. Potong Pasir is the best! I hope they never "upgrade" the place. ;p

I agree with you, not everything has to be new. Old and used items have its own charm.

I think SMRT should really give out ang bao of ezlink cards valued at least $10 for needy school children instead of the upgrade. I mean, how much can the upgrading do to ease the main problems, like the peak crowds?

I agree with you fully, the upgrading is superficial and no practicality at all.
I have not seen any train with condition that warrants a makeover.
I also like your ideal for helping needy children and old folks very much.

Lets see how much can these people benefit from your ang pow.

Every month you give $10 to 10,000 needy children and 10,000 needy old folks.
Monthly = $10 x 20,000 = $200,000
Yearly = 12 x 200,000 = $2,400,000
With $142 million, your handout can last for 59 years.

Actually, it can last much longer than 59 years, because the SMRT still make money from these needy people.

Stand beyond the yellow line at a train platform in Japan for 10mins and u'll hear the same old boring announcement telling u the same thing that we hear here:

Agreed with that, its safety issues.

You don't expect them to say "Put one step beyond the yellow line and see what happens..Common we dare you, double dare you...." :sweat:

They have to reinvest the profit for upgrading and improvement of public facilities. Renovating the train will show that SMRT care for public comfort and safety.

Hello Airforce1:

You have very interesting points. Maybe you can share with us how the renovating can provide more comfort and safety. Have sofa seats? or seat belts? or air bags?

Oh, so other country also like that :bsmilie:

the announcement in japanese? :embrass: as me dun understand jap, skali if i accidentally break one of its train rules and kenna fine.... if i go jap one day!

Hello Airforce1:

You have very interesting points. Maybe you can share with us how the renovating can provide more comfort and safety. Have sofa seats? or seat belts? or air bags?

there are lots of things to improve in terms of safety eg, people can still fall into the train track, also safety for old folks (i think there is more to be done for senior citizens ) ... ...

does Jap's bus has the irritating TV Mobile? :bsmilie:

Unfortunately, ppl who think simple get simple solutions to solve seemingly complex problems are all stuck at the bottom since they think too simply.

Those who think complex stays on top since they have to play a game called 'politics' to outmanuever their competition.

Damn the upside down world.

those who r handed complex problems nv really solve any problems, whether simple or not. some "solutions" actually created new 1s, old 1s oso can take a new form.

running ard in circles is bad, some evoleved into spirals (think 3 dimension).... :hung:

oni truly smart ppl can solve probs! & dun create another.... :cool:

Better invest the money in more MRT train to cut Short the jam packed condition in peak hours.
If more MRT train can reduce the waiting time.
Better still reduce the MRT fair price. :)

SBS price increased several times already but still cannot solve the problem of freezing cold air-con in the mornings and on rainy days.

And I agree on some of the points you all brought up. Spend so much money but cannot prevent such a serious incident of someone's legs trapped in between the moving train and platform, and also cannot even determine what happened to that school teacher who was found on the tracks. Pushed or did she really read a book so engrossing she didn't notice the incoming train and fell onto the tracks? These are important safety operational issues of the commuters, but what had been done to prevent the same thing from happening again.

The thing is that, in the world "Perception is Reality". Thats why the American Presidency has a team of spin doctors. That is why who controls the information controls the power. Local context wise, give commuters something new, albeit non critical, and they think its an improvement and hence the company can raise prices. Sometimes its the human psyche thats to be blame. Its easy to fool all of us.

I thought the main reason is that the old trains require more servicing or cost more to service because of old components hence it is more cost efficient to change to new train while selling the old ones?

not everything has to be new!! I love old buildings, old playgrounds. Potong Pasir is the best! I hope they never "upgrade" the place. ;p

Potong Pasir? Sure no upgrade one lah...

Dear Spectrum:

Please don't hate the old 9 seaters. The seats are not meant for a big and strong man like you.

Rightfully, the seats should first go to the elderly/young children, follow by the needy, and then the woman and ladies.

I believe a gentleman like you will agree with me, hor?

Hmmm.....:think:

Same mind here.. It is not that we are going to stay and sleep in the cabin. Just fetch me to my destination in double quick time, and I will be very happy. Actually, In the morning and night, I like to travel on old buses with open window. Now all extinct liao.

Missed that cool breeze too.:(

Heh this reminds me of a joke.
In outer space, where there are no gravity, it is very difficult for astronaunt to write. The ink of the pen will float instead of sticking on the paper. So the smart American invested $1m for scientist to invent a pen that can write in space under no gravity condition.

Russian use pencil.

As a matter of fact. The US spend $10 million to do that (I think whatever).:confused: Heard this from Carlos Mancia's comedy.:confused:

they can simply change how the train is driven...

1.) slow the train to a speed where the operator can stop the train when required before pulling into a station w/o glass cover

2.) maintain this slow speed till the train had fully entered the station

3.) door opens, closes... train pulls out at the slow speed again

4.) since time is wasted on the above 3 operations, the train will operate at a higher safe travelling speed to compensate the time taken to reach the next station

for the current way of driving the train, the train enters the station at full speed and only starts to slow down when the train is already in the station... there is not enough reaction time for the driver to stop the train should there be danger at the end of the station where the train is approaching from.

not sure if you all understood what I wanted to express, cause my english isn't very good

but thanks for reading :)

Status
Not open for further replies.