SM card unable to format?

• Thread starter LimAhHuatDurians
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LimAhHuatDurians

Hi all,

I have a question which i was hoping that someone more experienced would help me with. I lent my customer a 128mb SM card for testing on his flash-card reader on a pc for about a week. When i took the SM card back, i couldn't do a re-format on my Olympus C-730. Mesg shown was card error.

May i know if the card is permanently damaged? Is there any way that i can re-format it on my C-730? Thanks in advance for all your help!

It is possible the SM was formatted to a different file format by the card reader, which is un-readable by your camera.

For example the SM may have been formatted to FAT32 by the card reader and your camera cannot support FAT32.

You can try to re-format the SM to FAT (aka FAT16) using a SM card reader.

Another possibility is that the SM card's contacts are "dirty", due to the large exposed area of the contacts, fingerprints are the worst culprits.

Your customer must have formatted the SM card in the flash card reader.. which is a BIG NO-NO for SM cards. U may be lucky and be able to reformat it as suggested.. but again u may not be able to use it on your camera ever again..

Originally posted by LimAhHuatDurians
Hi all,

I have a question which i was hoping that someone more experienced would help me with. I lent my customer a 128mb SM card for testing on his flash-card reader on a pc for about a week. When i took the SM card back, i couldn't do a re-format on my Olympus C-730. Mesg shown was card error.

May i know if the card is permanently damaged? Is there any way that i can re-format it on my C-730? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Not a big problem, use the pc to format it.

Thanks for all the advice. I tried reading it on my card reader but the reader could not detect the card. Does this mean that the card is permenently damaged?

How do you do a format in a card reader anyway? Thanks for the help newbie here....

Originally posted by LimAhHuatDurians
Thanks for all the advice. I tried reading it on my card reader but the reader could not detect the card. Does this mean that the card is permenently damaged?

How do you do a format in a card reader anyway? Thanks for the help newbie here....

Goto "My computer" or "Windows Explorer", Right click on the drive icon and select "Format"

Select "FAT" instead of "FAT32" and try.

Status
Not open for further replies.