SLR Vs RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwardz

Apr 11, 2008
West- CCK
Hello i am thinking of going into film and i have research that 2 main types SLR and RF, I know the diff bewteen the 2 but i cant really decide which to get, sadly i cant get both if not i will..lol but in this case which should i get? SLR is like a Dslr but only runs on film and the RF is i think a new way to shoots photos, at least for me..lol.. any comments on which i should get?:dunno:

Seems your perception of RF is limited. Maybe you want to drop by the RF subforum and talk to the guys there?

RFs and SLRs frame differently, and the mentality that goes into shooting an RF is simply different.

You can read all day about it, but it will never give you the actual feel of what one is like.

Just pick up a cheap Yashica, Canonets etc etc and try out.
If you don't like it, the value of one is rather stagnant assuming the condition hasnt been deproved while you use it, so don't worry about losing money.
If you are thinking that you may outgrow it quickly, don't worry either, this is only the beginning. You will soon be outgrowing the next Bessa, the next ZI, the next M6, M7, and move onto the M9s or MPs, not to mention the countless number of glass you will be going through as well.

RF more compact, quiet, and u get a superb selection of some of the top optics ( think leica ) they are many other pros and cons of each system that u can try searching online. Locally i believe SLR systems got larger user base.

u might have to try them and see before making decisions on purchase

I am an SLR user, but I am looking at some good old MF RF systems too :bsmilie:

ryan

thanks alot guys.. i more over to the RF side..lol Slr i got my D90 with me.. so i think i will be getting a RF.. most likely a the yashica GSN

the RF is i think a new way to shoots photos,
Actually RF is not a new way of shooting... RFs were around way before SLRs.

IMHO, RFs are for lightweight shooting when you don't want to carry a bag etc. SLRs are for everything else :)

I agree with Primephotog. RF has been there way back World War II. It's the type of camera which most great photographers used. So slim that most of the time, you're "invisible" to your subject.

oh oh.. ye ai know it was here way long.. i was refering to myself..lol a new way of shooting for me.. nv did try RF before. thanks anw hahas..

I am a RF user and SLR user.
Shooting RF is a very different feeling cos its small and 'invisible' but not as invisible as a compact camera la. COs every where also have.

The key difference is the viewfinder where you can see subject going in and out of the frame. IE coverage can be more than 100%.
Very good for wide angle focusing up to 50mm. but bad for tele.
RF is quite expensive to go into.mid range 3k - 10k start up
Of course can go cheaper but not worth it.
RF no Zooms

Zeiss Ikon - 2.2k new (local price HK cheaper(1.6k)) + 35mm prime (from 5k to 500)
Leica M7 - 3.5k used

I pick these cos the view finder is big for both where you can full use it esp for faster focusing
Using a small viewfinder is the same as flying blind cos u need to9 be fast even if you are "invisible"

If you going into film and you want nice IQ you need to invest in a good scanner (1k) and good film.

Hello i am thinking of going into film and i have research that 2 main types SLR and RF, I know the diff bewteen the 2 but i cant really decide which to get, sadly i cant get both if not i will..lol but in this case which should i get? SLR is like a Dslr but only runs on film and the RF is i think a new way to shoots photos, at least for me..lol.. any comments on which i should get?:dunno:

you could try out the yashica gtn/gsn first to get the feel.

2098172458_020b6a9ca8_o.jpg

http://www.photozone.de/slr-vs-rangefinder

please see the bottom.

as for choice, you make your own decisions in life. and these should be based on your own needs, which only you would know. stop getting other people to help you make the decision, because everyone is different. read, try, assimilate, understand, then buy.

btw, there is nothing to say that you can't get both. i have had both before, but i didn't like RF.

If you want to try RF cameras, start with the cheap ones. Russian, Japanese RFs. There are a lot of Russian RF cameras and lenses that can compete with what can a Leica give. I don't suggest jumping into Leica for your first RF camera. Too expensive.

It's not the bow, it's the Indian that matters!

Even if you have the latest Leica M9 with great lens (Leitz, Zeiss..) but don't have the skills it would be a waste. IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.