Slide Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner

Jan 24, 2002
Visit site
Hi all,
as this is my 1st time doing slide mounting, I need to find out
how do you guys cut out the slides nicely.
I've tried using scissor, but the result were no good as it caused curvy edge.
Anyone, any idea about working round this? Do kindly advise. :D
Thanks

Originally posted by scanner
Hi all,
Thanks

Get one of those Kaiser slide mounting devices.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Get one of those Kaiser slide mounting devices.

Regards
CK

Which slide mounting devices you referring to?

Which slide mounting devices you referring to?

One of these:

dia.jpg

The one shown is about $90. There's another model with only the cutting/viewing part which costs about $40-50.

Regards
CK

i use scissor and hand. much cost effective. $90 must well spend on film and shoot shoot shoot.

Originally posted by ninelives
i use scissor and hand. much cost effective. $90 must well spend on film and shoot shoot shoot.

I let the lab do it. Considering a box of slide mounts cost about $10 for 100, that's $0.10 a piece, and 1 roll will cost $3.70. And not to mention the time and labour...... $4 is not too bad.

Regards
CK

I let the lab do it. Considering a box of slide mounts cost about $10 for 100, that's $0.10 a piece, and 1 roll will cost $3.70. And not to mention the time and labour...... $4 is not too bad.

Regards
CK

yes.....but how many keepers you usually have per roll ?10 ?5? What about the rest? Throw away? But well, you are right, for busy people like us sometime don't have the time to do own mounting.

I still got about 200 frames not mounted.(but only 10% are keepers.................:cry:

yes.....but how many keepers you usually have per roll ?10 ?5? What about the rest? Throw away? But well, you are right, for busy people like us sometime don't have the time to do own mounting.

I still got about 200 frames not mounted.(but only 10% are keepers.................:cry:

That's right. And you know how painstaking it can be to
1. view slide.
2. cut slide.
3. open slide mount.
4. put slide into mount.
5. close slide mount.
6. put mounted slide one side.
7. goto 1

Then don't forget:

2a. Oops, touched the slide.
2b. Clean slide

4a. Oops. touched the slide again.
4b. Clean the slide

;p

by the time you finish 2-3 rolls, hands tired liao.

Regards
CK

not only hands tried, but eyes also. On sat, I mounted 3 rolls, then i sian liao......

2b. Clean slide

4b. Clean the slide

;p

Regards
CK [/B][/QUOTE]

You can wear a glove to do this. No finger prints, no wipping needed. Alternatively work in an aircon room. nuff said.

Originally posted by excentrique
2b. Clean slide

4b. Clean the slide

;p

Regards
CK

You can wear a glove to do this. No finger prints, no wipping needed. Alternatively work in an aircon room. nuff said. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's true, but you can't deny the fact that your eyes and the hands holding the scissors gets tired after about 2-3 rolls. And for black slides (eg nightshots, fireworks) you gotta find the divider by counting sprocket holes.

IMO, I just find that it's not worth the effort. Imagine coming back from a holiday, getting your 15 rolls of slides processed (unmounted) and spending a week to mount all of them.

Regards
CK

not only hands tried, but eyes also. On sat, I mounted 3 rolls, then i sian liao......

3 rolls? wow :eek: you must be expert on this already! maybe you can come up with an article(w/ pics) on how to do it for us newbies to learn? ;) thanks!

That's true, but you can't deny the fact that your eyes and the hands holding the scissors gets tired after about 2-3 rolls. And for black slides (eg nightshots, fireworks) you gotta find the divider by counting sprocket holes.

IMO, I just find that it's not worth the effort. Imagine coming back from a holiday, getting your 15 rolls of slides processed (unmounted) and spending a week to mount all of them.

Regards
CK [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, it's not feasible if you have alot of rolls to mount. It depends mainly on what you want to do. For me i normally will do the mounting myself. I have the habit of choosing from contact prints, and this habit has been always a practice to a point that I will also select good pictures to be mounted. As for the rest, I will normally junk them in a box. It's a hassle to maintain and refer to the 35mm trans as I keep the mounted ones in the drybox.
For those who have a huge dry cabin solely for keeping trans, it's good if you want to have everthing mounted.
Well, maybe that's why it's good to use a 120 format. There are good sleeves to hold the trans. No need to mount and easy to keep.

ckiang,

for the slides mounted by the lab, how is the mount like? it is still those 'exposed' kind where can directly touch the slide right?

Hi all,
Thanks

Here's normally what I do:

Place a clear & clean glass pane on the light box.

Place slides on the glass, using the backlight as an aid.

Lightly etch a straight line with a sharp pen-knife between the frames you want to mount.

The etched line will be visible even with the light from the light-box switched off.

Use a pair of scissors to cut, with the etched line as a guide.

Remember to wear clean cloth gloves always (not rubber surgical gloves, they stick!!!)

andrew

Originally posted by yeppie99
ckiang,

for the slides mounted by the lab, how is the mount like? it is still those 'exposed' kind where can directly touch the slide right?

Yup, it's the plastic mount, with the film exposed. You can use glass mounts, but they are expensive, hard to maintain, and some of them gives newton rings (rainbow coloured rings).

Regard
CK

Yup, it's the plastic mount, with the film exposed. You can use glass mounts, but they are expensive, hard to maintain, and some of them gives newton rings (rainbow coloured rings).

Regard
CK

Thanks ppls, for all the response.
I guess I've to live with using scissor for the time being...very tired man! :cry:
Next time, I rather pay more to do the mounting. :(

Ninelives.........the Kaiser mounting system speeds up the process and is also FUN. If u use scissors.....can fall asleep not to mention cut wrongly.

Originally posted by kongg
Ninelives.........the Kaiser mounting system speeds up the process and is also FUN. If u use scissors.....can fall asleep not to mention cut wrongly.

Or by the time you're tired and blur after mounting slide #329, you cut yourself and the blood stain the slide.... :eek: ;p

Regards
CK

Or by the time you're tired and blur after mounting slide #329, you cut yourself and the blood stain the slide.... :eek: ;p

Regards
CK
then i suck my own finger lor. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.