Slide Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.
use the rolling wheel cutter lor.. much faster and absolute straight.

Would like to revive this topic on slide mounting.

Shops charge a little more when u send ur sleeved rolls for mounting rather than must mounting striaght after development, right? Any quotes on a nice an inexpensive place to do it?

Do they do selective mounting? Just this frame or that frame?

If they don't select, we could do our own selection by passing them the sleeved roll with only our selected slides on the sleeves and let them mount the entire sleeve from there.

Originally posted by ckiang

One of these:

dia.jpg

The one shown is about $90. There's another model with only the cutting/viewing part which costs about $40-50.

Regards
CK

I will recomend this one too, but this device is using electrical power cord and is very inconvenient. But once I converted it into battery supply, this device is great.

Cheers.:cool:

borrow this thread to ask some question on slides, just started shooting slides and had my first 2 roll of slides without mounting.

How do you guys view ur slides other than the most primitive ways by holding it against any light? the various methods and if possible the cost of the device.

I heard abt lightbox, magnifier, etc. not sure which to buy. can someone advice me? cheers :D

Originally posted by cheechee
borrow this thread to ask some question on slides, just started shooting slides and had my first 2 roll of slides without mounting.

How do you guys view ur slides other than the most primitive ways by holding it against any light? the various methods and if possible the cost of the device.

I heard abt lightbox, magnifier, etc. not sure which to buy. can someone advice me? cheers :D

The best deal around is the Cabin CL5000P LightPanel + Rodenstock 4x Aspherical Loupe bundle sold by Cathay at $190. The loupe itself is more than worth that money.

Regards
CK

about this, if it is already 190sgd, is it better off to buy something cheap to look at the slides, then choose those nice ones, spend the $$ buy a film scanner, scan it out and view it digital?

any other options? coz still a student that has limited budget, but started to get the hang of the beauty of the photography world, and now slides. :D

Originally posted by cheechee
about this, if it is already 190sgd, is it better off to buy something cheap to look at the slides, then choose those nice ones, spend the $$ buy a film scanner, scan it out and view it digital?

any other options? coz still a student that has limited budget, but started to get the hang of the beauty of the photography world, and now slides. :D

Well, the cheaper option is obviously to get cheaper lightboxes (the Kaiser 4x5" is about $50-60?) and a cheaper loupe. Cathay used to sell some reasonable priced and reasonably good Peak loupes, but I don't see it sold there anymore.

A good loupe is of utmost importance, it is the very device you check your slides with and it should give you sharp, distortion-free images.

Avoid those slide viewer things if you are serious about it, not only the light is usually yellow, the lens in front of the viewer isn't very good. And you can't view unmounted slides.

Regards
CK

actually if only ~20% of your shoots each rolls are keepers, hand mount using a tweezer and a cutter/scissor should be an easy and more economical task....dun see any reason y we should get the lab to mount, unless u are 100$ keepers.

Hi people,
Well about the slides, I usually cut them myself. I'm sort of paranoid, dun trust those guys at the lab who might accidentally snip off my slides. :p

Anyway, I use a cheap loupe to check which slides are keepers and which ones go into the bin. Then for ultimate satisfaction,
I use a slide projector to view the slides in all their glory.

A Leica Prodavit 150 projector cost about $280, but there are cheaper models from other brands and you can even find non-autofocus ones for less than $150.

Need to revive this old thread. I just got a box of gepe slide mounts with glass, but erm, should we mount the slide with the glass facing us when we view it or the glass towards the lightbox?

Thanks!

Alvin

Status
Not open for further replies.