Singapore workers unhappiest in the region??

Want work life balance but do not want to resign, sure unhappy.

in Singapore, work life balance is getting harder to achieve if u work for people. However, no point earning peanuts and having no income security in the long run even if u had the so called "work life balance". i knew a freelance photographer who wanted freedom and passion in a self made career, 3 years later i saw a very different person; very stressed up and cynical towards things in life, and he had to force himself to shoot weddings and events just to make ends meet. Yes my friend did achieve work life balance but he loses out something in life too.

Last edited:
in Singapore, work life balance is getting harder to achieve if u work for people. However, no point earning peanuts and having no income security in the long run even if u had the so called "work life balance". i knew a freelance photographer who wanted freedom and passion in a self made career, 3 years later i saw a very different person; very stressed up and cynical towards things in life, and he had to force himself to shoot weddings and events just to make ends meet. Yes my friend did achieve work life balance but he loses out something in life too.

That is the precise point. ;)

More likely wanting the high pay but not the working hours.... :think:

I think may not necessarily be a matter of high pay or working hours, usually, people just forget how lucky it is to hold on to a job.

I think may not necessarily be a matter of high pay or working hours, usually, people just forget how lucky it is to hold on to a job.

human nature, there's a saying that once u enjoying life in heaven, u forgot u r in heaven.

human nature, there's a saying that once u enjoying life in heaven, u forgot u r in heaven.

Hard Truth... my wife is from a 3rd World country... you have no idea how she felt we are complaining non stop for the most simplest of things...

Hard Truth... my wife is from a 3rd World country... you have no idea how she felt we are complaining non stop for the most simplest of things...
It is call "progress" - just like our economy and GDP must grow forever and ever every year, so too our expectations in order to drive our productivity and quality of life. Low expectation = low quality. We must never be complacent - if we are not number 1 in something, we must shoot for number 1. And we are already number 1, we must work even harder to stay on top. So must not settle for mediocrity, only the very best - otherwise, must complain.

Last edited:
It is call "progress" - just like our economy and GDP must grow forever and ever every year, so too our expectations in order to drive our productivity and quality of life. Low expectation = low quality.

Which forever spin us into a never ending cycle of unhappiness...

It is call "progress" - just like our economy and GDP must grow forever and ever every year, so too our expectations in order to drive our productivity and quality of life. Low expectation = low quality. We must never be complacent - if we are not number 1 in something, we must shoot for number 1. And we are already number 1, we must work even harder to stay on top. So must not settle for mediocrity, only the very best - otherwise, must complain.
Yes, please do this. Otherwise, who would serve all the tourists from other countries who will spend their holidays (from work life balance) here in Singapore? :bsmilie:
After all: the last shirt has no pockets and taking your overtime off below the flowers has little benefits. So you can run for permanent #1 all your life, or be happy and contented at being #10. It's easier to shave off some demands and expectations.

aiya, survey is fun and crapy. My country leader even told the nation to be grateful because longkang vege price lower than before; maybe we laugh at this very much, that may have changed our country ppl happiness index. ops!

Tell ya something. In the financial industry in London and New York, analysts at the bottom of the food chain work from 9 to 3 am in the morning. They have no weekends either. They do all that in hope to work saner hours. People here have no perspective. They have yet to work in truly challenging environments, and have the cheek to talk about work life balance.

Work life balance is something earned. It is not a right.

Last edited:
While we're at this happiness vs salary discussion... just saw this on CNN...

http://edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2014/davos/global-wage-calculator/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Didn't know I was paid.... 103% in Singapore, 280% World's Average...

50x Teacher in Ethiopia
20x Farmer in Guatemala
10x Cleaner in Thailand
5x Driver in South Africa
2x Health Professional in Greece
0.65866x Admin Manager in Finland
0.28275x Chief Executive in USA
0.00097x Queen of UK

What's your result ?? :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Tell ya something. In the financial industry in London and New York, analysts at the bottom of the food chain work from 9 to 3 am in the morning. They have no weekends either. They do all that in hope to work saner hours. People here have no perspective. They have yet to work in truly challenging environments, and have the cheek to talk about work life balance.

Work life balance is something earned. It is not a right.

actually, the belief of deserving a work/life balance could be passed down from olden days where people worked in a single job called "iron ricebowl" until retirement, the work culture in those days carries a mindset that retirement package, overtime pay and year-end bonuses are deserved by the staff.

in today's global economy, it is not wise to think that way. Companies has plenty of choices and options to hire people else where. Bear in mind, offices and factories can be moved elsewhere for lower operation costs.

in today's global economy, it is not wise to think that way. Companies has plenty of choices and options to hire people else where. Bear in mind, offices and factories can be moved elsewhere for lower operation costs.

Stay on top or die - survival for the fittest only. Forget happiness - keep yourself well oiled as a cog in the machine, and keep spinning at the maximum speed.

Stay on top or die - survival for the fittest only. Forget happiness - keep yourself well oiled as a cog in the machine, and keep spinning at the maximum speed.
It is 'survival of the fittest' and does not imply to be the best, but rather 'best fitting' to the job, economy and other, permanently changing factors. A cogwheel is a static thing, I wouldn't want to compare to that scenario. And from personal experience, in many office jobs the requirements go rather into broad skills than into deep skills, combined with flexibility. Being a cogwheel will not help you at all but rather lower your value in the job market.

Were your wife here in 1997?

My first time in SG is in 1997. It was heaven. Felt that this is the kind of country I'd die fighting for.

Now, I'm just so angry that SG 1997 heaven has deteriorated so far.

Circa 1997, as a tourist, I read every signage everywhere. There was a signage in Bugis Station something like: Train punctuality, train MTBF (Mean Time Before Fail), Number of Passenger serviced, hours breakdown annually, etc... All those data are 90% above, nearing perfection.

Now? If they put up that old signage with current data, see if those angry SG-ers who were born here are justified to be angry.

Last edited:
Were your wife here in 1997?

My first time in SG is in 1997. It was heaven. Felt that this is the kind of country I'd die fighting for.

Now, I'm just so angry that SG 1997 heaven has deteriorated so far.

Circa 1997, as a tourist, I read every signage everywhere. There was a signage in Bugis Station something like: Train punctuality, train MTBF (Mean Time Before Fail), Number of Passenger serviced, hours breakdown annually, etc... All those data are 90% above, nearing perfection.

Now? If they put up that old signage with current data, see if those angry SG-ers who were born here are justified.

but.. mrt is just a small part of the bigger picture. There are still many good things to be grateful for..