Silica Gel in plastic film canisters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AReality

Jun 9, 2003
visualjournalist.net
Ehh...
Just wanna know if silica gel goes well with developed negatives & slides.

I keep my film in the plastic film canisters. Wondering if I can put silica gel inside with it... Or there is no need to...

:)

heard from those shop selling say the selica will melt ? not sure abt this ...

never heard of melting selica gel yet, maybe if you put it in fire?

my only knowlege on selica gel is that one they are "full" they will change colour and you just need to bring them to the sun and dry till they change back to white.

then i think is the shop uncle cheat me ... change to white ? not blue?

S11loop said:
then i think is the shop uncle cheat me ... change to white ? not blue?

i think what mobby meant was the silica will change from original blue to pink when it is saturated with moisture... if you dry in the sun, it will change back to blue..

dry in the sun method takes how long?

what i normally do is chuck it all into a wok and then heat on low heat and stir, takes 5 mins at most to get the crystals back to the deep blue colour

sleeper said:

what i normally do is chuck it all into a wok and then heat on low heat and stir, takes 5 mins at most to get the crystals back to the deep blue colour

Haha! :D tried that myself a long time ago. works ;p
Sun or hairdryer sould work fine as well :)

sleeper said:

my method faster.. throw into microwave for 3 minutes. no need to stir :D

I brought it to my school science lab assistant. She said that we should not use items for cooking food to warm up the silica gel nor use microwave oven. Can anyone confirm this? Is silica gel poisonous? What is it made up of? :dunno:

Instead, she helped me to dry a bottle in the conventional oven they use to heat up chemicals. Took her constant stirring (once every 20 minutes or so) and it was heated continously for 5 hours. :sweat:

There is a pre-package silica gel on sale, think called water bottle. Surface is cloth like, have a snowman or something like that on the top which will change colour when the silica gel saturated with moisture. Instruction is to heat in microwave to turn it back to blue.

Silica gel is silicon dioxide.

A.k.a. sand.

You need to heat silica gel to at least 150 deg C to dry it effectively.

Just use a microwave safe container (get it when you ta-bao food) and chuck it into the microwave oven for 5 min on high..

actually putting the gel into the microwave doesn't seem to prudent as the fumes may remain in the oven.

An alternative is to use your hairdryer to dry the gel

Status
Not open for further replies.