Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

roti_prata

Jul 31, 2005
Bt Batok
kudos to sigma! this new lens is perfect for people wanting a pro-caliber tele zoom but not willing to splurge on the 70-200vr.

its got constant f/2.8, HSM focusing and 1:3.5 marco at 100cm minimum focus. i predict that it will be of the same if not at a slightly higher price than the nikkor afd80-200d

here's the link: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06022610sigma70200.asp

if i use it on a d70s, will it become a 1:2.3 marco? likewise, if i use a 1:1 marco on the d70s will it become a 1.5:1 marco effectively?

I thought Sigma already makes a 70-200mm f2.8? Only difference I can tell is the new one is macro but even then its not 1:1 macro.

its a overglorified 70-200/2.8 with crippled macro function. I will take the 105 macro over it any day.

for the less financially-inclined, this seems like a nice package. cropping a bit for 1:1 is more practical thn buying a lens specially for marco, plus u get a very good f2.8 tele zoom.

cropping is a bad habit and should not be recommended.

70-200/2.8 is a good lens but if really want to go macro, that is not the lens for it.

TMC said:

70-200/2.8 is a good lens but if really want to go macro, that is not the lens for it.
Hello.. me beg to differ, excessive cropping is NOT a good habit, however, if cropping can get the image's strength out, why not?

Of course not saying shoot at 200mm, but crop until like 500mm la... :bsmilie:

Try bird shooting, you'll realise that some cropping is unavoidable for that matter. And no I don't care what others say ;p

okie should have clarified that point.

The King corrected my error, I am honored :bsmilie:

TMC said:
okie should have clarified that point.

The King corrected my error, I am honored :bsmilie:
Correct your head :kok: :kok:

:bsmilie:

wah lan but the price on the sigma wesite... though cheaper than the Trinity lens, but more ex then the Nikon without the VR leh... :nono:

TMC said:

of course, ppl wont buy tis lens for marco. rather, the semi-marco capability is a [nice to hav] feature. with the addition of 2 ED elements compared with the vanilla 70-200/2.8, it may hav better opticical performance giving the nikkor afd80-200 a run for its money

SEXiao said:
wah lan but the price on the sigma wesite... though cheaper than the Trinity lens, but more ex then the Nikon without the VR leh... :nono:
where u find the price? got link?

espn said:
Hello.. me beg to differ, excessive cropping is NOT a good habit, however, if cropping can get the image's strength out, why not?

Of course not saying shoot at 200mm, but crop until like 500mm la... :bsmilie:

Try bird shooting, you'll realise that some cropping is unavoidable for that matter. And no I don't care what others say ;p
I second that opinion. :thumbsup: That's why need razor sharp lenses and the resolution of D2X. Right?

ortega said:
D2X also have high speed crop
Lovely feature :lovegrin: :lovegrin:

Now all I need is to find a sugar mummy to buy me a D2X :lovegrin:

espn said:

Boh eagle, crow yah ho...
Need to crop? (resized and sharpened)
crow1.jpg

Crop lah!! (50% crop, resized and sharpened)
crow2.jpg

espn said:

wah bro, if can find one, ask her to buy one more forme lar.... buy 2 can get better price... :lovegrin: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.