Sigma and warranty issues, the facts

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may want to separate your analysis on the Fair Trading Act as opposed to general contract principles so as not to confuse people. There are separate rights given by each.

szekiat said:
To make things easier for everyone, i've copied it over. This is both an interpretation of the act but more on basic contract law.

Under the terms stated on the warranty card, the card needs to be stamped in order for it to be valid.
If the warranty card had not been stamped, as is the case, the onus is on the customer to ensure that the card is in order before buying (ie: accepting the offer of sale; contract). The law does not protect customers who have merely made a bad deal, eg. if they fail to ensure that everything is in order. Had the customer noticed that the card had not been stamped when it should have been, he should have brought up the issue of warranty with the shop, which he didn't on the spot or later on.
BTW, misrepresentation can only be argued if the buyer finds that he has acquired something COMPLETELY different from what he originally contracted for. In this case, there is still a warranty for the product and a warrantee from the seller is not considered a completely different thing in substance than that from the agent and the seller never made a representation that the warrantee would be covered by the agent.
Even though the shop cannot withhold vital information from the seller, in this case the shop is entitled to assume that reasonably well informed members of the SG photog community would know of its reputation as a "grey goods" dealer, as has been shown here. Even if you claimed that you are not one of these ppl, as you have, the shop is entitled to claim that you should have been alerted by the fact that the price was cheaper. As mentioned, the savings was there, if not significant.

sofunny said:
just realized, is it illeagle if import product from oveaseas, and sell locally without the import tax for none GST company?

if GST company also need to pay the import tax and claim later, right?

so the business for TCW is illeagle??? :eek:

You obviously do not know what you are talking about.

bernardsia said:
Okay guys the last few posts are especially helpful. A big lesson learned here, bad sale doesn't just happen in a dodgy shops. If warranty is important or unsure. Ask in detail. In this case just one more question will have pushed the dirt to the surface. While it was not standard procedure for me to stare at the salesman and ask 'AGENT WARRANTY?!'. From now on I will.

That's the spirit. You will find that there will be more to ask in future.

bernardsia said:
I guess I am mean by kicking a retard in the face. But what the heck.

I think that you have only managed to show how well you have kicked yourself in your own face. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

so funny. I don't get what you are trying to say. Can you repharse it?

Parchiao, you trying to amuse the forum with your dry humour? Do you often laugh at your own jokes, while everyone else stares blankly? Oh well, whatever makes you happy.

bernardsia said:
I guess I am mean by kicking a retard in the face. But what the heck.

BTW, you should refrain from using the word "retard" just to insult others. It is very rude, especially to the mentally handicapped. Does not matter who you refer to or what your intentions are, just refrain from using it in this manner. :nono:

Oh, but I truly mean it. That is how your posts interpret to me. Strange but true.

bernardsia said:
For those who picked up the fight part. Sorry I generalized that statement. It was really for Parchiao alone. I guess I am mean by kicking a retard in the face. But what the heck.

Unless anybody else has got another point of view. Or maybe a different incident with TCW or other shops. This thread is probably past it's usefulness.

Hey bernard, just lock the thread yah:)? No need for any more heated exchange.

dkw said:
Hey bernard, just lock the thread yah:)? No need for any more heated exchange.

Easier said then done. How do you lock a thread? :bsmilie:

Press Post Reply and you will find an option down there.

Cool down everybody.

We come here for a common interest: to shoot people with cameras. :angel:

...not to shoot people with words. :cry:

bernardsia said:
Oh, but I truly mean it. That is how your posts interpret to me. Strange but true.

Live and let live. One day, your karma will catch up with you.

come on guys. im sure you guys are much older then me. What's this with the childlike mentality? If u guys are informed about your purchases then good lah! after reading everything from you guys, i realised that ive bought my sigma flash from them lat december and i dont have the receipt. so i hope it doesnt spoil or break down. But there was no mention of any warranty on their part, just because they said, bring it back to us. True, its cheaper, but hey, confidence in a few more bucks, why not?
I didnt knw when i bought the flash at TCW and when i did, it was too late, but what to do? It worked didnt it? so i let live! take it easy guys. Its a pity u guys bicker over such things and behave like children.

I dont care if this post starts a flame war, everyone's entitled to what he/she believes in. and if life throws you such an moral poser, what do u do? Bitch?whine?

sigh.

I think this thread has served its purpose, can i appeal to the mods to lock it or can bernard please close it? All of us are now better informed of Sigma's service and warned of the 'poor' service that some shops offer.
Vince, i agree with you that the 2 offer different rights. But i believe they both apply in this case. I'd be happy to take this up with you privately if you so decide to. My email is szekiat@gmail.com. This is not an open invitation for confrontation of any sort, just that i'd like to hear your legal interpretation of the law. I do not claim to know it all and would gladly be corrected if you have a better interpretation. Better still, some case files to quote. I'm that bored! :)

bernardsia said:
Easier said then done. How do you lock a thread? :bsmilie:

Click on thread tools at the top of the window, there is an option for you to close the thread.

Ah thanks dkw.

Juding from the last few post. This post has indeed served it's purpose. For those who want to continue dicussing the issues that were brought up here. Please start a new thread. It'll be easier for people to follow the discussion.

Attempting to close the thread now...failed. When I click on 'Thread Tools' there is no option to close the thread. Only 'Show Printable Version', 'Email This Thread' and 'Unsubscribe From This Thread'.

bernardsia said:
Ah thanks dkw.

Juding from the last few post. This post has indeed served it's purpose. For those who want to continue dicussing the issues that were brought up here. Please start a new thread. It'll be easier for people to follow the discussion.

Attempting to close the thread now...failed. When I click on 'Thread Tools' there is no option to close the thread. Only 'Show Printable Version', 'Email This Thread' and 'Unsubscribe From This Thread'.

when you post reply there's an option to close the thread after your post, should be lower left side of the screen, look around for the option, not under thread tools

just found it, scroll down abit more when you post reply, under 'Additional Options', 'Thread Management'

I don't seem to have that option. My Additional Options has only got a drop menu for Email Notifications.

Before the thread gets locked, I would just like to say that while shopping for a Canon 17-40mm F/4L last year, I went to TCW to look for a grey set. They told me that their grey sets were not much cheaper than local warranty sets, and they didn't have any of those right then (except the grey ones). Thumbs up for telling me that.

And should anyone think that TCW does only grey products, well, a friend of mine did buy a local warranty Canon 100mm F/2.8 macro from them late last year too.

I hope that balances up the airing of opinions a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.