Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM ART

Happy New Year and Merry X-mas!

I have still saving up and have not decided on the 85mm or get a zoom 50-100mm.
Hopefully I have decided once I save up for my lens fund. :D

Happy New Year and Merry X-mas!

I have still saving up and have not decided on the 85mm or get a zoom 50-100mm.
Hopefully I have decided once I save up for my lens fund. :D

Hahaha I think both would be good. Choice is obvious for me cause I'm using FF lol

Hahaha I think both would be good. Choice is obvious for me cause I'm using FF lol

Exactly, if I am using FF, I may consider the Tamron 85mm VC and this Sigma.
Looks like I need to work my muscles and technique after using Olympus m4/3 for too long. :D

Exactly, if I am using FF, I may consider the Tamron 85mm VC and this Sigma.
Looks like I need to work my muscles and technique after using Olympus m4/3 for too long. :D

If you single, can impress the ladies with big muscles mah :bsmilie: But not single, still can impress them :bsmilie:

By right there is no need. :D
By left, I have issues putting on and sometimes the cap came loose and drop out in the bag.
Later I gave up and got another cap and keep the sigma cap in the box. :D

May I ask are you using the XS or the F?

View attachment 12633

For uv filters larger then 77mm, i find it cheaper to buy from https://www.bhphotovideo.com/ then locally. (The shipping for small items like filters is $4.90 usd or so, takes 7-10 days)

I always pick the Nano version if available as i find them easier to CLEAN. (Optically, I could never find a difference). With the nano version, they are easier to wipe with a tshirt.

And i hate the sigma caps, i replace them with oem nikon style caps the moment i get a sigma lens ! lol

If you single, can impress the ladies with big muscles mah :bsmilie: But not single, still can impress them :bsmilie:

Time to build my muscles! with weight lifting and more pictures! :D

For uv filters larger then 77mm, i find it cheaper to buy from https://www.bhphotovideo.com/ then locally. (The shipping for small items like filters is $4.90 usd or so, takes 7-10 days)

I always pick the Nano version if available as i find them easier to CLEAN. (Optically, I could never find a difference). With the nano version, they are easier to wipe with a tshirt.

And i hate the sigma caps, i replace them with oem nikon style caps the moment i get a sigma lens ! lol

Great Idea! Would the Nikon caps be able to fit on the nano version? I am afraid the slim profile does not grip the caps or the caps does not grip the b+w nano.

Usually I use a blower and lens pen to clean away the dirt.

I find the price of b+w at TK foto in Singapore is the lowest. Another good brand I saw In Japan but could not find in Singapore is Zeta Quint. I budget about 15% ($1,000 -> $150) of the lens price for the filter.

$03041329_56d90f1ee24ed.jpg

Last edited:
I just got my unit an hour ago! Last piece for Nikon mount, has front or back focusing. Was told to bring it to service center to get it calibrated, then i remembered my Nikon has lens correction feature, so gonna try and adjust it and see if gotta take it to the service centre

Also, the Sigma lens cap fits on my B+W filter

Last edited:
I just got my unit an hour ago! Last piece for Nikon mount, has front or back focusing. Was told to bring it to service center to get it calibrated, then i remembered my Nikon has lens correction feature, so gonna try and adjust it and see if gotta take it to the service centre

Also, the Sigma lens cap fits on my B+W filter

congrats! you may want to get the usb dock for further tuning and future firmware updates.
My friend's Nikon mount has a bit of back focus. After tuning, it is accurate and very SHARP! :D

In addition, the sigma WR ceramic Protector was used.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1208871-REG/sigma_afi9e0_86mm_clear_glass_ceramic.html

Don't want to spend money on USB dock lei hahaha, anyway, Sigma service center is practically behind my house, so I'll drop by to get them tuned

oh. how much would it cost? or tuning consider part of warranty?

If future there is firmware update for your glass or new Nikon bodies matching, You can update with the dock.

Ya, but at the moment, not worth it to buy to update firmware, especially since I using with old cameras :bsmilie: Suppose to be free lol, but I'll let you know

Ya, but at the moment, not worth it to buy to update firmware, especially since I using with old cameras :bsmilie: Suppose to be free lol, but I'll let you know

thanks! still deciding whether to get the Sigma 50-100mm or 85mm. But I believe both may need AF tuning. :D

See heng suay lor I think, my 35mm sharp, but it's 2nd hand so maybe tuned before, but if tuned, not tuned for my camera, sooooo..... Hmmm...... I would think Sigma 50-100 for lighter weight, and 100mm f1.8 may be similar to 85mm f1.4. I might take my 35mm to get it tuned along with my 85 (if it's free of course). I wonder if they can tune it so it's optimized for my D3, D700 and F5... lol

Just got back from Sigma, 150 bucks to calibrate the lens, except my Sigma 85 cause it's new and there's a one time complimentary focus calibration. I was advised to buy the Sigma USB dock to calibrate for the different cameras when I need to, a little bit of a hassle, but that's the only solution.

thanks!
$150 is a bit steep. Think I will save up for the dock too.
Can also tune my 18-35mm. :D

Is the sigma center that you went the one near the ABC market?

i got the dock.. tuning for a zoom is a total bitch.. soooo many settings.. lol

took me awhile to tune my 18-35, and i could do it almost auto with a d500 (i use the auto-af-tune function and used the half method, -10 on a nikon body is around -5 on sigma tuning)

if you're going to aftune your lens, i would highly suggest you borrow/buy a SpyderLensCal.

I agree, I just got my dock this afternoon (bloody hard to find thing) and yes, E-center at Redhill

Thanks alfie, gonna save up for a SpyderLensCal too.

Thanks spidey89, gonna add the dock into budget.

lastly is the filters. I am looking either at b+w or the sigma ceramic wr.

B+W would probably be more affordable than the Sigma though the Sigma's promise of a tougher glass is promising, I don't intend to drop my glass to I personally stick to B+W though I wanted the Sigma lol

Wanted to collect my lens yesterday, but a 2 hour job became a 6 hour job and I couldn't get to the service center before closing time. They're closed over the weekend so I can only collect on Monday