Sigma 50mm f1.4 - new batch = outstanding performer

Kateris said:
Hi, anyone enquired for the price of this lens lately? Care to share? :D

Price is between $730-$790. I saw a few copies all 'smooth' body.

Four third mount. Smooth body as well :)

I think getting a sharp lens is more impt than the body type. It is the same optical formula. Of course if you can get a smooth and sharp lens, even better.

I think getting a sharp lens is more impt than the body type. It is the same optical formula. Of course if you can get a smooth and sharp lens, even better.

Agree. I think most, if not all that are selling this lens are already carrying the new model, as in the smooth body.

Ever since I got this lens, my other primes have found a cosy home......my dry cabinet. :p

Mine comes with the smooth coating too, and I got it at a very nice price when I went on business trip in Taiwan.

I was absolutely blown away by this lens. But I must also add that I was lucky to get a very sharp copy without the need to do any calibration :)

Now I am thinking about adding the 85mm. Have been browsing thru POTN and flickr for pics taken from this lens. It is nothing less than stellar. But I am not sure whether it is advisable due to the close FL between the 50 and the 85. I am on full frame.

can i say that the smooth body is NOT available for nikon mount?
i've checking with various shops and non of them has it at all.
what is sigma doing?

Toonz said:
can i say that the smooth body is NOT available for nikon mount?
i've checking with various shops and non of them has it at all.
what is sigma doing?

You may wanna call Bally photo 63389752 n check? Or u may call sigma's distributor here in sin sigma marketing (sin) pte ltd to check.

had very bad experience with Bally. Big NONO.

desmondchan said:
had very bad experience with Bally. Big NONO.
A friend who knows the boss recommend me to Bally n was a ok/so so experience with the stuffs there. Just buy what I need n left. My own experience that is.

i called bally today. they have no stock and don't even mention the price unless i order.
SLR has smooth body for canon and 4/3 but rough body for nikon.
not that i die die must have smooth body. i understand the aspect of its quality and i've used this lens before. but if there is a smooth one, well why not.

Hi, mind explaining what is this smooth body and rough body all abt? I've rented a 50mm f/1.4 sigma for nikon mount once, but I cannot catch what you mean by smooth body. Is there 2 versions of outer case?

Smooth is the newer version with the barrel non coated. The old version has the coating that sometimes tend to peel off.

It's a sharp lens. Like the lens alot. It's rather heavy IMO but its a good lens. No regrets getting the lens.

Bodhisattva said:
It's a sharp lens. Like the lens alot. It's rather heavy IMO but its a good lens. No regrets getting the lens.

I agree.

This is the best lens I owned till now. Frankly I was a little sceptical when i read all the raving reviews. But after I owned it, it had been glued to my camera.

I have a feeling the new batches are all being QC more thoroughly then the earlier batches. Mine was sharp out of box and test done on charts are all good.

I agree.

This is the best lens I owned till now. Frankly I was a little sceptical when i read all the raving reviews. But after I owned it, it had been glued to my camera.

I have a feeling the new batches are all being QC more thoroughly then the earlier batches. Mine was sharp out of box and test done on charts are all good.

i agree, my copy is good too. tests were also done using the focusing chart