Sigma 50mm f1.4 - new batch = outstanding performer

Canonized

Dec 31, 2005
PLANET EARTH
On Friday I went down to TK photo to test the Sigma 50mm f1.4 - after having tested a few used ones on offer from classified as well as preowned resellers here. The older used ones performed erratically. ALmost always one in four or two in five shot continously will be out of focus.

The latest batch frm Sigma seemed to have solved this one single niggling problem. The one I tested was so sharp and accurate, it makes the EF50mm 1.4 look terrible.

Here is a shot taken at the shop itself straight out of the card - no post process, sharpen etc. just resized. (all shots at f1.4)

IMG_7218web.jpg

Here are some of my pet Jack Russel taken today (note the smooth bokeh quality)

IMG_7401web.jpg

IMG_7378web.jpg

I think they still have a couple more in stock so if you are looking for one. Hurry. Unfortunately, the price seems to have risen. So its not a cheap lens (I think its about S$100 cheaper overseas).

But I am happy to pay more to make sure I get one that really is a sharp and fast focusser.

BTW - I never thought that I will return to 3rd party lenses but for some reason, I have issues with the 3 on offer from Canon. 50L = too expensive and buggy; EFf1.4 = too soft wide open; EF f1.8 = effective only stopped down. I love the focal range of 50mm with FF camera. It will be in my bag all the time.

I recommend this lens highly to anyone looking for a decent 50mm.

Hi Canonized,
May I know how much you paid for it?

nice!

with newer batch solve the problem, i may consider this lens!

should i just wait for canon 50mm F1.4 MK II and compare?

Here are a few taken yesterday at the opening of the Hour Glass's new L'Atlier at ION.

All shot wide open without flash.

Ion_81.jpg

Ion_76.jpg

Ion_60.jpg

Ion_29.jpg

try to focus at 3 metres and beyond a lot of oversea users had issue with this lens at that range

Focus using servo for canon cameras. It does help in most condition except low light where the camera is unsure of the point. I just sent mine in for calibration anyway, above 3m still not so accurate at one shot but servo is pretty fine now. Less Jittery.

A shot from this lens

less the focus issue, the IQ and color of this lens is excellent!

Hi Canonised, but how do we know if the lens offered are from the new batch?? Are there any particular code that we can look out for?

Yeahh would like to know how much you get the lens from TK?

Thks

Hi canonized...hmm sigma din upgrade the lens right? this is one poison thread...lovely lens. was contemplating between this and the 35L...but went for the latter instead...sure get this if i ever dump my 35L

try to focus at 3 metres and beyond a lot of oversea users had issue with this lens at that range

I just discovered that mine has a fair bit of problem with shooting over 3m. Darn. Its soft. But when shot at subjects under, its always spot on.

Hi Canonised, but how do we know if the lens offered are from the new batch?? Are there any particular code that we can look out for?

TK Photo told me so. They did not have stock for some weeks and told me that the stock arrived is new.

Yeahh would like to know how much you get the lens from TK?

Thks

Its the same price that they sell to everyone else - I believe. I hate to share prices because I always get someone who says he got it cheaper - just to wind you up.

Hi canonized...hmm sigma din upgrade the lens right? this is one poison thread...lovely lens. was contemplating between this and the 35L...but went for the latter instead...sure get this if i ever dump my 35L

They did not upgrade it but apparently claims of correcting the problem. If you have the 35L (like I do) you will be very happy with it. Its a fantastic lens. A real keeper. It has consistently performed at a level above my expectations. IF only Canon 50mm lenses could do the same. It does not.

Hence I got the Sigma 50mm. Its not a perfect lens by a mile but its a whole lot better than the Canon 50mm and a lot cheaper.

Check out this thread that did a comparison between the 50L and SIgma 50mm.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=729368

I have the Sigma 30mm f1.4 & would like to test this, for i am not sure whether is it sharp a not? So i put an item more than 3m away from the lens & after i capture the shot i just check whether is it sharp a not? As simple as tat?

I have the Sigma 30mm f1.4 & would like to test this, for i am not sure whether is it sharp a not? So i put an item more than 3m away from the lens & after i capture the shot i just check whether is it sharp a not? As simple as tat?

Yes.
Approx two body lengths or more.

I just discovered that mine has a fair bit of problem with shooting over 3m. Darn. Its soft. But when shot at subjects under, its always spot on.

dang, what a downer!

was thinking of getting it soon..

TK Photo told me so. They did not have stock for some weeks and told me that the stock arrived is new.

Just got a new one from TK yesterday. Quite a good copy, no problems with focusing near or far. The price is reduced a little more :lovegrin: Probably coincide with the summer sale...

Here is a shot of my CZ 1.7/50mm wide open at f1.7.

3783138893_1cf4a29ccf.jpg

Should I upgrade to Sigma 50 f1.4? Do you guys think it will be a big improvement over mine? Manual focus not withstanding, because I do have an AF confirm chip adapter to EOS. So its not so hard for me to focus anyway.

This was shot handheld at F2, 1/80s at a distance of much more than 3 metres away focussing on the monk in the middle. Quite sharp IMHO. Mine is the so called "older batch" since I bought it a few months ago.

3757320187_6cbe8ed216_b.jpg

Last edited: