Sigma 50mm f1.4 - new batch = outstanding performer

just a question, if we buy the sigma lens and sent the lens with our camera for calibration, what will they calibrate? calibration using our camera built in microadjustment or they physically open up the lens and do the adjustment in the lens?

Lens. They will not change the camera af.

Took this out to the street, here are a few to share with you guys.

3_heroes.jpg

This lens is really versatile :thumbsup: Of course it is even better for taking portraits.

May I know where is this? Is it the tall building opposite Raffles Hospital?

Very sharp pics I must say. Straight out from the camera or pp?

I did some PP to adjust the tone, contrast and saturation. Sharpness just +1 to +3. I shoot only in Raw as I like more control over the final picture. If you take JPEG only, should be sharp SOOC, as the various picture style already have abit of sharpening in built. I use neutral picture style 90% of the time, which has everything at 0. :)

May I know where is this? Is it the tall building opposite Raffles Hospital?

Yup this is Parkview Square opposite Raffles Hospital. The sun was pretty harsh when I was there. Try to go there after 5.30pm. Should be better.

FYI, you can only take picture outside the building. Inside the building it is not allowed, but I will like to suggest you to walk in and take a look. You will be "wowed" ;)

Hi guys, I have done a simple test on a focusing chart and below are my pics. Please take a look and see if there is any focusing issue. Thank you.

4.jpg

IMG_5547-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Both display quite a big amount of front focus.

Did you change the aperture or shutter speed? Seems to me that both photos shows different colour

1) Have you tried taking one good shot, followed by a 2nd, but this time use your hand to break it's focus, sending focus back and forth before letting it resume focusing on to the chart? Reason is to check if there are any inconsistent focus

2) Have you tried taking the same point at different distance apart? every increment of 0.5m till you hit 3m away? Reason is check if focus is out at different point

Hi guys, I have done a simple test on a focusing chart and below are my pics. Please take a look and see if there is any focusing issue. Thank you.

this lens never fail to impress me after a couple yr with it.

5846635427_c00d42dd0b_z.jpg

Yes, Both display quite a big amount of front focus.

Did you change the aperture or shutter speed? Seems to me that both photos shows different colour

1) Have you tried taking one good shot, followed by a 2nd, but this time use your hand to break it's focus, sending focus back and forth before letting it resume focusing on to the chart? Reason is to check if there are any inconsistent focus

2) Have you tried taking the same point at different distance apart? every increment of 0.5m till you hit 3m away? Reason is check if focus is out at different point

Thks for sharing I will try out what you mentioned. By the way both pics were taken with a tripod.

For those with perfectly calibrated copies, do you have problem with back focusing near infinity when used wide open, but perfect focus when stopped down slightly to like f/2.8?

Is sigma able to calibrate such problem without affecting the near perfect focus at nearer focus distance?

It's getting a little quiet over here....let me post my dream setup :)

16-35.jpg

Exposure 1/50
Aperture f/2.0
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias -1/3 EV

It's getting a little quiet over here....let me post my dream setup :)

16-35.jpg

Exposure 1/50
Aperture f/2.0
ISO Speed 100
Exposure Bias -1/3 EV

GASP! You posted a Canon lens as your dream setup in a Sigma forum! :p

Last edited:
Any opinions on 50mm or the 85mm being the lens more suitable for portraits on a full frame camera? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Bodhisattva said:
Any opinions on 50mm or the 85mm being the lens more suitable for portraits on a full frame camera? Thanks in advance.

I used to have 85mm (canon one) together with the Sigmalux.

IMO, I think both are great for taking portraits on a FF. 50mm great for full body shot, 85mm great for half body shot. In fact the 85mm can be used for full body also; similarly the 50mm can also take half body shot. End of the day, you won't go wrong with either.

I gave up the 85mm ultimately, not because it is no good, but because my Sigmalux refused to come off my camera :) it is more versatile, and I personally feel the IQ is slightly better. The 85 spend most of the time in the bag. If you shoot just as a hobby, I will think a 50mm will be a better choice.

My 2 cts.

Sent my lens in for calibration and here's the before calibration and after calibration pictures.

Before
4.jpg

After
IMG_7761.jpg

I think the front focus problem has been resolved.

Last edited:
very good 50mm. I wonder how a new Canon 50/1.4 will impact this lens. Will people still stay with it?

5879224103_0f8eacbf31_b.jpg

Interested in getting this len but where to send it for servicing in SG? grey set is abt $300 cheaper..

Interested in getting this len but where to send it for servicing in SG? grey set is abt $300 cheaper..

Service center is in Bt Merah IIRC.

Anyway at $300 cheaper, I will go ahead and get it. Calibration cost $150, and you still save $150.....:bsmilie:

Anyway, I am always puzzled as to why so many people are afraid of getting it grey or from overseas. Don't you guys test the lens till satisfied before you pay? :think: I tested mine till I'm satisfied before I bought. If you are a genuine buyer, the owner should not have any issue with it, because all of them knows that there may be AF issue on some copy on certain cameras. If they do not allow, just walk away lor........

DDE now selling at $557 le.. very tempting sia but the problem is i hear alot of bad things abt them when customer send their faulty items back for servicing during their warranty period.

DDE now selling at $557 le.. very tempting sia but the problem is i hear alot of bad things abt them when customer send their faulty items back for servicing during their warranty period.

I have not seen or heard about a single complain about DDE before, at least not in Club Snap.....can you share an example of "bad things" so that we can be aware of? Or is it just people second guessing that they may have problem and speak as though sure cannot claim warranty when they have never even bought any item from them before? I personally think that they are a very big and reputable company operating in many countries and they have a reputation to protect, and I will not hesitate to get from them if the price is right.

If that is a worry for you, just get a local set and enjoy your photography. No point worrying over such matters.

And when you finally get this lens (a good copy), I am pretty sure you will love it :thumbsup: