Sigma 24-70 HSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaywye

Jun 7, 2007
My friend bought the sigma 24-70 HSM lens yesterday from one of the much mentioned camera shop in this forum. I am quite sure the shop's salesman pulled a stunt on the price of the lens. As far as I am aware, there are only 2 versions HSM and non-HSM (with macro mode). The salesman told my friend that there were 3 versions: HSM IF, HSM and non-HSM and HSM IF version is 100 extra over HSM version. My friend paid the extra 100.

HSM is IF, correct me if I am wrong.

I am not naming the shop, just want to warn other potential buyers got such sales tactics.

yes there is only 2.. Sigma EX DG Macro (old version) and Sigma IF EX DG HSM (new version)

i think there is the one before the DG HSM without HSM one...

if it matters at all, but there r 3 versions of the 24-70.

as most of u guys mentioned,

the new HSM, the older EX DG Macro n the oldest,.... the EX DG w/o Macro.

why not go to the shop again?
ask to look at the 2 versions n see if there is any diff.
sigma loves to have all the 'titles' on the lens n the box.

But impossible to be $100 difference only between HSM and non HSM rite.. I think its quite clear the salesman pulled a stunt.

My friend did not want to bother going back. He will just never ever buy anything else from there..

But impossible to be $100 difference only between HSM and non HSM rite.. I think its quite clear the salesman pulled a stunt.

My friend did not want to bother going back. He will just never ever buy anything else from there..

the difference between the HSM n non HSM is impossible to be $100, its $5-600.
but i thought in ur original post,
its between HSM n HSM IF?

since u r kind enough to share with us,
its pointless if u don't name the shop.
PM me if u don't want to post it here, can?

the difference between the HSM n non HSM is impossible to be $100, its $5-600.
but i thought in ur original post,
its between HSM n HSM IF?

since u r kind enough to share with us,
its pointless if u don't name the shop.
PM me if u don't want to post it here, can?

I was saying in my original post that the salesman claims there is a HSM and a HSM IF. Based on the info the other bros provided, there are indeed 3 versions but only 1 version is HSM. I am just saying its impossible the salesman made a mistake or my friend mis-heard him cos we all know the price difference is much more than $100.

My point in raising this without naming the shop is to let other buyers to be aware there is no such thing as HSM but non-IF version.. can be another salesman in another shop try to pull the same stunt.

I will pm you the shop name since you asked..

I was saying in my original post that the salesman claims there is a HSM and a HSM IF. Based on the info the other bros provided, there are indeed 3 versions but only 1 version is HSM. I am just saying its impossible the salesman made a mistake or my friend mis-heard him cos we all know the price difference is much more than $100.

My point in raising this without naming the shop is to let other buyers to be aware there is no such thing as HSM but non-IF version.. can be another salesman in another shop try to pull the same stunt.

I will pm you the shop name since you asked..

So what was the salesman trying to do? Charge you a lot more for the non-HSM version? or charge you more for the HSM version?

And one more thing. Not all salesman know their stuff. In fact a big fraction of salesmen do not know camera equipment well... Especially the younger ah-beng ones.

charge $100 more for HSM one.

I can agree the salesman may not know his stuff so all the better that the buyer knows instead of getting caught off guard like what happened to my friend.

charge $100 more for HSM one.

I can agree the salesman may not know his stuff so all the better that the buyer knows instead of getting caught off guard like what happened to my friend.

I get your idea, the salesman is trying to charge $100 more by twisting facts about different versions, which there is no such thing. Sometimes they succeed when consumers are ignorant of the details or did not check properly. In my opinion this is 'preying' on the uninformed and is unscrupulous behavior.

But overall, is the final price $100 above common street prices? (You can call popular stores like Cathay, TK, MS, J316, etc, to have an idea of benchmark)

Status
Not open for further replies.