Show us your Japanese Rangefinder gear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry couldn't reply earlier as it was quite difficult to post on my iphone whilst on the road.

Congrats on such a fine purchase! Good price too!

This is indeed a Canon IVSB2, which was introduced in the same year as the Leica M3. The M3 obviously stole the limelight in the industry.

Anyway, Canon launched the last series of bottom loading rangefinder camera (IVSB2, IIS2, IID2 and IIF2) between July 1954 and June 1955. Most of these cameras were discontinued in 1956 except for the IIF2 in 1955, which has the shortest run of the 4 models. Subsequent models were all back loading.

One of the easiest way to tell these 4 models from their predecessor is to look at the film counter. there is a flower like marker between the film counter and the film advance dial.

Other obvious details includes:

- Slow speed dial starts at 1/30 sec instead of 1/25 sec.
- Shutter speed marker on the fast speed dial. Dial no longer rotates when film is advanced.
- Larger/improved viewfinder

By the way, some users (including Peter Dechert) claims the IVSB2 to be even better than the Leica IIIg, Leica's finest screw mount camera.

The Canon 50mm f/1.5 LTM has a satin finish aperture ring and distance markings, indicating that it's the late type, possibly matching the camera as they were often offered as a set when sold. If bought separately, the lens would have had it's own <EP> marking as required by the allied forces during occupation.

The rapid winder seems to be missing a handgrip, which really enhance the operation of the camera. Very unique design. Nevertheless, a fine addition to a fine camera.

Hope you'll have great fun with this camera when it's in your hands.

Cheers,

:thumbsup: Guru has spoken!:thumbsup:

My small small collection. Looking at all the nikkors, canons, sonnars here make me so gian :bigeyes:

4896947071_391e4415af_b.jpg

Very nice chrome collection!

Very nice chrome collection!

thanks. I didn't know I had a "fetish" for chrome till I grouped them together. Now they travel in the bag together :bsmilie:

thanks. I didn't know I had a "fetish" for chrome till I grouped them together. Now they travel in the bag together :bsmilie:

Some are BP fetish; but I'm in the same camp as you.:)

Sorry couldn't reply earlier as it was quite difficult to post on my iphone whilst on the road.

Congrats on such a fine purchase! Good price too!

This is indeed a Canon IVSB2, which was introduced in the same year as the Leica M3. The M3 obviously stole the limelight in the industry.

Anyway, Canon launched the last series of bottom loading rangefinder camera (IVSB2, IIS2, IID2 and IIF2) between July 1954 and June 1955. Most of these cameras were discontinued in 1956 except for the IIF2 in 1955, which has the shortest run of the 4 models. Subsequent models were all back loading.

One of the easiest way to tell these 4 models from their predecessor is to look at the film counter. there is a flower like marker between the film counter and the film advance dial.

Other obvious details includes:

- Slow speed dial starts at 1/30 sec instead of 1/25 sec.
- Shutter speed marker on the fast speed dial. Dial no longer rotates when film is advanced.
- Larger/improved viewfinder

By the way, some users (including Peter Dechert) claims the IVSB2 to be even better than the Leica IIIg, Leica's finest screw mount camera.

The Canon 50mm f/1.5 LTM has a satin finish aperture ring and distance markings, indicating that it's the late type, possibly matching the camera as they were often offered as a set when sold. If bought separately, the lens would have had it's own <EP> marking as required by the allied forces during occupation.

The rapid winder seems to be missing a handgrip, which really enhance the operation of the camera. Very unique design. Nevertheless, a fine addition to a fine camera.

Hope you'll have great fun with this camera when it's in your hands.

Cheers,

Thanks Benny for this insightful info, will treasure it for sure.

nice collection...

by e way, wat bag do u use to bring these lens over seas?

indeed.... very poisonous thread!

forum_IMG_0208.jpg

nice collection...

by e way, wat bag do u use to bring these lens over seas?

i'm using a safrotto (ala domke f803). 4 lens compartment inside.

Within 3 month of my purchase, r2a...
I initially thought 1 lens is enough..then i got the 2nd...and the 3rd, since price is attractive, might as well buy first sell later.....and then i got my 4th..and i discover i don know which one i should sell:(
4947771393_56aba60366_z.jpg

Within 3 month of my purchase, r2a...
I initially thought 1 lens is enough..then i got the 2nd...and the 3rd, since price is attractive, might as well buy first sell later.....and then i got my 4th..and i discover i don know which one i should sell:(

Welcome to the slippery slope!
I thought I'd have only 5 lenses in the beginning..........:bsmilie::bsmilie:

And I thought I only wanted Leica lens

haha.....i initially cant understand why ppl had so many similar lenses of the same range...ermm...i hope i can never understand why..:)

And I thought I only wanted Leica lens

Scary Addictions!

I also thought just borrowing a RF camera to have a 'look see' was harmless..How wrong was I..;p

My setup for now, enjoying the patch on this bugger

4976270769_c79bca686a_b.jpg

haha.....i initially cant understand why ppl had so many similar lenses of the same range...ermm...i hope i can never understand why..:)

They all draw slightly differently. I :heart: them all; especially the 50mm.:)
I don't think there is a "bad" lens.

Last edited:
My setup for now, enjoying the patch on this bugger

unique set up!!!... rangefinder with milk powder container & milk bottles! :think:

unique set up!!!... rangefinder with milk powder container & milk bottles! :think:

Ya, bored at home taking care of my "&#22909;". The RF is my daily sustenance while the milk is theirs.

:bsmilie::bsmilie:His 2 :heart:s:lovegrin:

Yup the joy that they have given me is priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.