Shooting F1 pics thru 'chicken wire' - how do you do it?

sloth

Jul 5, 2007
2 F1's have already passed.....I'm sure some of you would have experience :) (never had the chance to go myself until this year)

I'm sure you know the problem lies with taking photos through the wire fence. Even if you get close to the fence, there is still some visible distortion left by the wires in the image.

Did anybody manage to find a solution to this problem, and what hardware did you use?

2 F1's have already passed.....I'm sure some of you would have experience :) (never had the chance to go myself until this year)

I'm sure you know the problem lies with taking photos through the wire fence. Even if you get close to the fence, there is still some visible distortion left by the wires in the image.

Did anybody manage to find a solution to this problem, and what hardware did you use?

Even though i havent been to the F1 to shoot, i think the only way is to go to stands to shoot using a long lens - there got no chicken wire. or use a really huge aperture lens, in order to not get the chicken wire in the picture, but even then, some traces of it will still remain :dunno:

use a wider aperature like f2.8 to make the fence out of focus,and try to set the shutter speed higher like 1/100 to still the motion .

The first year there were a few places were you could see the race through or over the fence if you didn't have a ticket. At one part people kept cutting down the covering. The next year F1 blocked those areas as well. I don't know what will be left this year.

Try to get a spot where the cars head towards you and right before a turn so they slow down.

Renault - Fernando Alonso by Jorge R, on Flickr
85mm at F1.8 1/320 ISO 1600
This was at the fence at the bottom of the escalator that has the giant water wheel. Lots of people there. Later I climbed next to the elevator for a better view. The second year they blocked it off and you couldn't even get close.

Ferrari - Kimi Räikkönen by Jorge R, on Flickr
70 -200mm F4 at F4.0 1/400 ISO 1600
This was at the Marina Grandstand right at the turn where they go under the grandstand. I just walked down to that corner and shot. Great place because they slow for the 90 degree turn.

Last edited:
ok,use 1/250 or above shutter

The 2nd year they use Marshalls to block Ticket holders view. Boooo

This year i wont go even if they pay me.:angry:

If I remember correctly, Darren Heath said he would get a black marker to paint the wire black, and when the wire is out of focus, it would kind of disappear.
http://www.darrenheath.com/season/2010
Another way is to get a wire cutter.

I pushed my lens against the chicken wire fence, with the wire on the edge of the lens as much as possible. Since I was using telephoto lens, the wires did not show in my pics.

The 2nd year they use Marshalls to block Ticket holders view. Boooo

This year i wont go even if they pay me.:angry:

Buying a ticket doesn't entitle you to watch the race? Is that extra?;)

If I remember correctly, Darren Heath said he would get a black marker to paint the wire black, and when the wire is out of focus, it would kind of disappear.
http://www.darrenheath.com/season/2010
Another way is to get a wire cutter.

People were using wire cutters to cut the black cover on the fence the first year. They sent a crew to fix it as soon as someone cut it. That is why the next year there was another barrier in front of the fence.

ya ,and i also want to ask how much is the ticket for the F1 .The ticket that can give me a walkaround space

hmm, seems like it is getting tougher to shoot year after year :)

Might have second thoughts about going down. I could spend $40 at a watering hole and watch the race anyway :p

hmm, seems like it is getting tougher to shoot year after year :)

Might have second thoughts about going down. I could spend $40 at a watering hole and watch the race anyway :p

it depends on why you want to go there...

either you're an F1 fan that doesnt really care for taking good shots, or a photographer whos taking advantage of the event to take nice shots, or both...

it depends on why you want to go there...

either you're an F1 fan that doesnt really care for taking good shots, or a photographer whos taking advantage of the event to take nice shots, or both...
agreed to this.

ok,I am not a serious F1 fans,i just want to take photo of the driver and the F1 machine .I want to have a close shot from the pit area .

ok,I am not a serious F1 fans,i just want to take photo of the driver and the F1 machine .I want to have a close shot from the pit area .

woah~!! i dont' think you are going to get to that area... unless you are working as a pit crew or news reporter after the race is done..

no,i mean at the pratice day or the qualify day.On the race day of course we cannot enter the pit area

can we follow the news reporter ???