Shooting F1 pics thru 'chicken wire' - how do you do it?

I was thinking whether a 100-400 L or a 70-200 f2.8 IS L to rent for this F1 coming up. Judging from the pictures, I guess lighting is not a problem, so maybe i shall rent a 100-400 L with Tele converter.

no,i mean at the pratice day or the qualify day.On the race day of course we cannot enter the pit area

i don't think they will allow you into the pit area... even if its Qualifying..

I was thinking whether a 100-400 L or a 70-200 f2.8 IS L to rent for this F1 coming up. Judging from the pictures, I guess lighting is not a problem, so maybe i shall rent a 100-400 L with Tele converter.

i thought with teleconverter it wont work. cos the 100-400 is already f4.5 to f5.6. no matter what teleconverter u add, it will make the aperture beyond f5.6, thus if u have a non-1D camera, u wont be able to AF

i thought with teleconverter it wont work. cos the 100-400 is already f4.5 to f5.6. no matter what teleconverter u add, it will make the aperture beyond f5.6, thus if u have a non-1D camera, u wont be able to AF

oh yap, i forgot.. but i guess without the teleconverter, the range is still good enough for the cars..

i will also borrow a 10-22 to capture the people and the scenes..

Seriously, I'd rather shoot at Sepang's race. There is a spot that I could shoot where the cars would slow down before turning into the straights.

Much better, open space, and no lighting worries.

Seriously, I'd rather shoot at Sepang's race. There is a spot that I could shoot where the cars would slow down before turning into the straights.

Much better, open space, and no lighting worries.

problem is not everyone have the time to travel up to sepang to watch the race.

last dec, i followed my friend, towed up our cars to sepang, and took a plane to KL.

feeling was shiok to race.

i did travel to sepang by bus too, horrible, backside like mad..

oh yap, i forgot.. but i guess without the teleconverter, the range is still good enough for the cars..

i will also borrow a 10-22 to capture the people and the scenes..

From past stories of Singapore's run of the F1 Grand Prix, I heard even the 70-200 lens is hard to pass through security, and you have to sign a form to ensure you don't use the photos commercially.

So check with the security before you enter next week.

I thought somewhere on the ticket it says the limits for photographic gear that is allowed in.
Rumor was that anything less than 300mm was allowed in. I shot with a 70-200 F4. Probably depends on the mood of the guard and the attitude of the spectator.

From past stories of Singapore's run of the F1 Grand Prix, I heard even the 70-200 lens is hard to pass through security, and you have to sign a form to ensure you don't use the photos commercially.

So check with the security before you enter next week.

last year, i carry a backpack in, without them checking..

the barriers, lights and 'wires' are all up already.......... I'm surprised nobody even mentioned going down this weekend or next week when they turn the lights on at night to GO DAYS BEFORE THE practice , qualifying and race day and scout for good positions , angles and perspectives

Last edited:
i go there to enjoy not to take pictures :bsmilie:
coz i know i cant get anything :p

I notice that in the F1 EVENT FAQs for 2010: clause 16

Quote"
16. Are there any rules to adhere to in the grandstands?
To ensure that everyone has a great time at the race, there are several rules grandstand
spectators need to follow.
o Collapsible strollers are allowed but may not be used in the Grandstands or on the
bleachers. Any photographic equipment (such as tripods and monopods) for personal
non-commercial is not allowed in the grandstands.
Ushers and security staff will be stationed at the grandstands to ensure that these rules are adhered to in order for everyone to have an enjoyable experience. We seek your kind cooperation to abide by their instructions. "

So can monopod be used in ALL Grandstand areas?

so the consensus is walkabout ticket can see take almost no photos?

I managed to get up close and personal with the fence. I think I'll pass; spend the money on beer and watch the race on TV ;)