Shooting DSLR in Auto Mode = wasted ?

I use Auto ISO all the time... Guess I am a newbie and a waste of money on my camera gear :)

lol :bsmilie:

I'm on Auto ISO most of the time too. It's actually a damn useful tool lol, Just concentrate on controlling your shutter and aperture.. ISO shouldn't be much of a problem since 5D3's ISO management is great. Unless what you shoot needs to be at low ISO, then I dial ISO manually.

also a newbie here. any one use auto iso here. using a AP wth auto iso a waste too?

It's not wasted

However, auto iso or aperture priority doesnt always give the best results(esp in low light conditions). If that happens, must know how to override the settings in manual mode

If auto is ok, then no harm sticking to it

I read with interest about some people's issues with shooting in auto mode.

Frankly, what is manual mode and what is auto mode? Do you make use of the reading on camera to tell you if you are hnder or over exposing, amd make adjustment base on that reading?

P A S M mode almost every modern cameras base the meter reading on in-camera metering. Be it multi segment, spot or centre weighted metering. If you base your exposure on in-camera metering, isnt it considered auto as well?.... Even though you shoot in M mode? What about auto ISO?

Once upon a time when we used to shoot on film, ISO is almost always set to DX mode. Meaning, the ISO of the camera will follow the ISO rating of the film you put into the camera. Can you set, say ISO 800 when using ISO 100 film? Of course. But you will be severely underexposing all your shots because the metering base all EV on ISO 800 sensitivity film.

So, what is considered fully manual? In those days, it means carrying your own light meter (in those days, Minolta light meter was the one to get) and measure the light value in a few areas. Average it. And then set your aperture, shutter speed, base on a fixed ISO set in the light meter. Everything about photography is about amount of light (aperture opening), how long is the light exposing to the film/sensor (shutter speed), and how sensitive is the film/sensor (ISO setting, or ASA rating of film). And of course your composition of the picture, rules of third, etc.

The modern day digital camera sensor is so advance that it was once a holy grail in photography, as it can adjust its sensitivity to adapt to the available light, at a given f stop and shutter speed. Anything more than ISO 6400 on film was never heard of in my days with film SLR. Nowadays, ISO 6400 is the minimum expected of any new SLR with clean exposure. Anything less is considered heresy.

So, is it scandalous to make art in photographic form in auto mode? We all depend on the camera's accuracy in metering, auto focusing, image stabilizing, etc.... In one form or another. So, to me there is nothing wrong in using auto mode to take well framed subject if the camera is so good that it can give you better exposure in auto mode than you can set your own manual white balance, aperture, shutter speed and/or ISO.

Since memory card now cost less than film, i would bracket my shots using various combination of setting concentrate on focusing (to be sure auto focusing is focused on the right area), and framing the subject, and ensure i dont miss out on rare photographic opportunity ..... Whether I'm om iAuto, green square, or P mode.

the questions is..... why camera manufacturers still add "auto" mode in their camera's settings? Especially high ends!

Last edited:
the questions is..... why camera manufacturers still add "auto" mode in their camera's settings? Especially high ends!

because there's an increasing number of new shooters who are buying the high-end stuff with no idea how to use it ;)

also a newbie here. any one use auto iso here. using a AP wth auto iso a waste too?

my ISO is always set Auto, with limit to 1600 or 3200 depend on the camera capabilities.

Not all cameras come with "auto" mode. For example, the Fujifilm X100 will cause those who shoot only in "auto' to vomit blood :bsmilie:

hmm.. Why are you worrying isit a waste or not or is even bothered by it. If you are comfortable with what you're doing..thats it :bsmilie: Simple.

If you buy a car..must you only drive at its top speed? If you buy a fan or air-con..must you only turn it on at the MAX?
lol.

Personally i like to use Auto ISO its quite accurate and give me decent shutter speeds..200-1600..photo are still ok..unless for some cases when i need or feels like then i select/off.

The answer is. They are running a business. Put it blatantly Profit is all it matters. As long he/she him or her has the money - can buy.

So if adding a auto mode can yield better sales. Why not? Make sense?

TWmilkteaTW said:
The answer is. They are running a business. Put it blatantly Profit is all it matters. As long he/she him or her has the money - can buy.

So if adding a auto mode can yield better sales. Why not? Make sense?

It doesnt cost manufacturer much to include iAuto or green square mode to sell to newbies. So why not?
Those who know, will almost never turn the dial to those modes.

For people like me :bsmilie:

Once, during an indoor event shoot,
someone ask me to take a group photo of them,at that time nothing major was happening and i was trying to do some "creative" shots of the food/props/environment etc, without flash

It was a sudden request, and i wasn't prepared, and they were all ready in nice poses and smiles. I counted 1,2,3 and took a shot... I forgot I was in f1.4, so some of the people where not in focus.

So I said, one more

Switched to f8, forgot to check metering as I was trying to see if everyone's head is in view(they moved after first shot). So 2nd shot under exposed

Third time round, switched to auto mode, turn on the flash to auto-TTL and fired again

No time to play with the settings when everyone is waiting for me

During such impromptu situation, I'll rather use auto mode and get a good quick shot than to have me fumbling with the dials while everyone wait for me

Sometime I use P mode (Professional mode), like Steve McCurry :bsmilie:

Shizuma said:
Hi sempais and seniors,

Sometimes, I see people shooting DSLR in auto mode. Do you think it's 'wasteful' to do so ?
(of course certainly everyone has the right to enjoy their camera no matter what format or type...)

Sometimes I see very expensive gear being shot in auto to commemorate events , kids at playground (shot by mummy/daddy, etc). I wonder if it's "overkill"? Convenience? or is photography about enjoying the moment and capturing, or just shooting nice artistic photos out of the green box ?

if there were a scratch head icon here I'd put it in. but there isn't so please use your imagination.

If I give u 2 similar pics, one shot with auto and second one with manual.

Are you able to tell the difference?

donut88 said:

There are some shots which can't be achieved with auto mode if I am not wrong....also because ISO is auto, sometimes the shots taken using auto mode will turn out grainier. The ISO figure may jump when there's a slight change in ambience light.

you like to attack people, then disappear without replying in the thread again. why don't you stick around next time and face the firing squad?

FYI. NO.

there are scenes that we can't discern the mode used just by looking at the image. but once we see the EXIF, we know.

e.g. for a night shot, it's easy to tell. most cameras (if you're a newbie who has no idea how a camera works), will tend to try to expose the scene properly on Auto mode. which, in turn, the ISO is kept to a limit, and Shutter Speed usually is pretty slow. a newbie will have a handshake-blurred shot. a seasoned shooter will anticipate this and most likely have a more handshake-blur free shot.

if one of them has flat lighting from onboard flash and another has nice uniformity or desired lighting from flash gun, easier to tell.

otherwise, no.

of course, Picasso could be fabulous with a free pencil from Ikea. but the artistically un-inclined with most expensive tool can't do as well. hmmm

i thinking getting a Nikon D7000 and i am new in using DSLR....

so is it fine to use auto mode?

It is fine to use any mode you want ;) Even if you are a pro, it is also fine to use auto mode.