Shooting DSLR in Auto Mode = wasted ?

Most of the time I am either on AV/M mode. But on some occasions, AUTO does help and saves the day.

Nothing wrong..Dont forget what is the core reason for a camera - to take photos.

Frankly speaking, i detest people who look down or detest people who uses auto/P mode. Why? Because either they are sour grapes? Nothing better to do? Or seriously...why not just mind their own businesses.

I shoot in aperture priority or manual almost all the time but i can tell you one thing... when the time arises whereby you need to capture a certain shot that last for a few seconds... there may not be enough time for you to decide wat settings to use and dial them in... thats when A or P mode come in handy.... they are my "desperado" settings for such events :)

thus never look down on the "power" of A or P mode... and if ppl got $$$ to blow on a expensive camera and uses A or P mode, y care? they happy can liaoz LOL!!!

I got many photo use auto. take already quite okay. no follow rule of thirds never mind. a few years later ah gong ah mah see they happy, talk about how they enjoying themselves and also can see who go to the party. if use M and you suay suay all blur, then few years later only can say "that time i thinking i remember you got go to the party". people got money to buying DSLR, people happy to use auto, people happy see photo to them is nice photo, people business.

Basically there is nothing wrong with using Auto mode in your DSLR or whatever camera. There really is no need to go full manual mode just because you are using a DSLR.

To say the truth, I sometime lazy, also go full Auto or P mode... result is okay, and thats it.

who gives a damn what mode you're using,as long as you can get the shot

use shooting mode that fits your shooting conditions. I use aperture priority heavily, and I only use auto mode when I pass my camera to some passerby to take a photo of myself.

to us, its a waste, to them, its either show off or too much $$$ to spend.

bro sinned79 is right.

it's actually quite a waste of money paying top dollar for a high-end camera, and end up using Auto.

Nowadays rich people plenty, but not all got time or interest to learn photography, cant fault them.

Not only are people getting richer but DSLRs are getting cheaper. Most people (at least those around me) believe that a DSLR will give them better IQ and the background blur effect :think:

I do not think there is anything wrong to use auto. I started with dslr because I felt it gives better quality than PnS, stronger built in flash, AF is also faster, better view finder, etc.

Then graduated to learn more about the functions but I usually use A mode. Recently, as I follow the treads here, then I tried more settings and controlling the Iso.

I do not use features like bracketing, manual mode, or shooting raw. Which is not an issue, as long as I like the camera. If dslr makers only depend on and make dslr for expert users, you can be sure the technology and cheap price will not be what they are now. So we should thank consumers for buying dslr :)

Nowadays rich people plenty, but not all got time or interest to learn photography, cant fault them.

agreed too.

there are many reasons why people still stick to Auto. but not let it be the case whereby people stick to Auto just because it's the easy way out.

the easy way out is the quickest, but it leaves you with many gaps that are hard to fill, and when the time comes, these are the gaps that you'll fall in to and hurt yourself.

Most people (at least those around me) believe that a DSLR will give them better IQ and the background blur effect :think:

true to certain extent... DSLR easier to achieve background blur as compared to compact cams.

true to certain extent... DSLR easier to achieve background blur as compared to compact cams.

I agreed that its easier to achieve background blur with a DSLR. However, shooting in "auto" mode only and not understanding simple photography basic is wasted to me.

I am sure there are people who.select portrait auto mode for shooting portrait or for quick DOF without considering bokeh quality. but they're happy.

are serious shooters getting life too complicated? that said I will not be likely to shoot auto. av and tv do ok for me, unless pushing my gear to its limit at full manual

I am sure there are people who.select portrait auto mode for shooting portrait or for quick DOF without considering bokeh quality. but they're happy.

are serious shooters getting life too complicated? that said I will not be likely to shoot auto. av and tv do ok for me, unless pushing my gear to its limit at full manual

no. we don't.

but when those Auto shooters start whining about how terrible their gear is, or demand to be spoon-fed how to use their cameras properly, guess who has to tolerate that BS?

no. we don't.

but when those Auto shooters start whining about how terrible their gear is, or demand to be spoon-fed how to use their cameras properly, guess who has to tolerate that BS?

just tell them: "the more you know, the more you don't know" - so don't bother. gao tim :bsmilie:

anyways just joking, just recalled the above phrase my friend told me ;p

Hi sempais and seniors,

Sometimes, I see people shooting DSLR in auto mode. Do you think it's 'wasteful' to do so ?
(of course certainly everyone has the right to enjoy their camera no matter what format or type...)

Sometimes I see very expensive gear being shot in auto to commemorate events , kids at playground (shot by mummy/daddy, etc). I wonder if it's "overkill"? Convenience? or is photography about enjoying the moment and capturing, or just shooting nice artistic photos out of the green box ?

if there were a scratch head icon here I'd put it in. but there isn't so please use your imagination.

So is it a waste to shoot in AUTO mode? Why are we so quick to condemn people who shoot in AUTO mode?

You guys know who is Steve McCurry? Do you know he shoots in AUTO (P mode on this cam, no AUTO available) mode? So is he any less of a photographer?

What's Developing: Steve McCurry Shoot In Auto Mode

For those of you who do not know who is Steve McCurry.. here is a short video.

[video=vimeo;15802347]http://vimeo.com/15802347[/video]

Last edited:
In the end, it doesn't matter what mode you shoot in..

Because, in the end, only the image matters.

And the image that capture's peoples' heart and mind is not technical perfection or image quality. It is the content and the subject that moves people...

Last edited:
As long as the pics ur happy with it..doesn't matter wat mode...why care wat pple thinks?

Besides..the Auto mode is there for a purpose...