Sexy Versus Gorgeous – Nolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckii96

Jul 20, 2006
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
I know that my pics are gonna be torn apart to bits and pieces again, but if I'm afraid of that, I'll never learn. Thanks in advance for spending your time penning down your thoughts. Here in goes! :D

Nolly_07_s.jpg

Nolly_10_s.jpg

The full set of the pics is here.

I know that my pics are gonna be torn apart to bits and pieces again, but if I'm afraid of that, I'll never learn. Thanks in advance for spending your time penning down your thoughts. Here in goes! :D

:) Bro, don't worry. You will learn as you shoot more. You should shoot more, read a lot of books, view lots of pics at Kino and Rice Ball.

Right here, rule number 1: avoid shooting the less flattering sides of the model. :) Second is lighting. Third is composition. ;)

#1 - the angle kinda make her looks fat... especially tummy part

#2 - always be careful when taking shots of gals showing their armpits. would prefer some pp on that area to make it smoother.

If you are not shy of criticisms, and if people do bother to give good criticism, you might go far.

Let me tear apart the first picture. However, one thing you could have done even before you started pressing the trigger is to tell the model to loose that colored contact.

Let me ask you and everyone a question first about the picture. When you look at the picture, what is the first thing that you see, say what drew your attention?

The first thing I saw was the shiny protruding forearm and elbow. The second and the third were her bulging waist line and her well endowed breasts. And the forth thing was that pair of ugly shorts.

Now, shooting portrait is to showcase the model. To showcase is to exhibit the positive and hide the negative. 3 out of 4 of the attributes that got my attention were negatives. We have a problem here.

On top of that, portraiture generally involves the model's face. But the first 4 things I saw, in a portrait that the model's face is squarely shown, I did not see her face until after the elbow, waistline, breasts and shorts, it is a problem.

Then when I looked at her face, this are the things I saw. Eyes, one big one small; bad eye bags, smirky expression, nice red lips, cheek bone too pronounced ... Once again, out of the first 4 things I saw, 1 positive vs 3 negatives.

When we shoot, we need to see what we are shooting. When we pick pictures to process and keep, we need to choose the best and not be afraid to delete.

Nolly_07_s.jpg

Nolly_10_s.jpg

The full set of the pics is here.

TS, after looking at your first and second posting, I have no idea where does sexy and gorgeous comes in for these two pics. While I give you the credit for willingness to learn, but these pics posted, I do not see any hint of sexiness or any gorgeous angles of the model.

Take #1. The hair is a mess. Is it because it is wet? The hand in hair pose here does not work. It just seems that she is only posing for the sake of doing so. Eyes are lifeless. They do not seem to portray any sexiness here, much less life. She seems bored at best. One major bugbear for me is the kneeling pose. For this pose, her stomach is protruding out and covering the top part of her shorts. Lest people think that this is a personal attack on the model, please look at the picture. A pose like that is simple but yet very delicate in the sense that the model has to suck it in and not let it all out. In this pose, it DEFINITELY does not flatter the model no matter how pretty she is. For a model to look good in that pose, she has to suck it in and hold till the shot is over. Where is the best feature of the model? That was not brought out in the picture. Suggestion is to try a 2/3 angle on the face rather than square.

For #2, slightly better than the first. But then again the eyes and expression, please do note that I still do not see any sexy and gorgeous you are trying to portray. Key here is to make the model alluring. But for the 2 pics, I do not see that. The figure in the 2 pics are full of straight lines. That does not make the model look sexy.

To me unfortunately, sad to say, these pics are not flattering the model. Even though you may be paying the model or the model is a friend of yours. The thing here is that the pictures you take of them should 1) flatter her and 2) accentuate her femininity. At the same time, a picture like this, especially a swimsuit shot, you as a photographer should help her see her beauty and not flaws. A swimsuit, especially a two piece one, DOES NOT hide flaws. It shows them. A word of advice: if you want to go into portraiture, try to shoot normal fashion first. Glamour shots where swimsuits are concerned, have a degree of difficulty where upon basics must be built. The basics should be normal fashion first before going into glamour shots.

Last edited:
:) Bro, don't worry. You will learn as you shoot more. You should shoot more, read a lot of books, view lots of pics at Kino and Rice Ball.

Right here, rule number 1: avoid shooting the less flattering sides of the model. :) Second is lighting. Third is composition. ;)
Thanks very much, leejay. I know that good shoots do not come by just through talking about it. Practice makes perfect. The critisms won't stop me from shooting portraiture. Thanks for helping me to 'moderate' on my previous post, bro. Appreciate that. :)

#1 - the angle kinda make her looks fat... especially tummy part

#2 - always be careful when taking shots of gals showing their armpits. would prefer some pp on that area to make it smoother.
Thanks for the comments. Note taken.

If you are not shy of criticisms, and if people do bother to give good criticism, you might go far.

Let me tear apart the first picture. However, one thing you could have done even before you started pressing the trigger is to tell the model to loose that colored contact.

Let me ask you and everyone a question first about the picture. When you look at the picture, what is the first thing that you see, say what drew your attention?

The first thing I saw was the shiny protruding forearm and elbow. The second and the third were her bulging waist line and her well endowed breasts. And the forth thing was that pair of ugly shorts.

Now, shooting portrait is to showcase the model. To showcase is to exhibit the positive and hide the negative. 3 out of 4 of the attributes that got my attention were negatives. We have a problem here.

On top of that, portraiture generally involves the model's face. But the first 4 things I saw, in a portrait that the model's face is squarely shown, I did not see her face until after the elbow, waistline, breasts and shorts, it is a problem.

Then when I looked at her face, this are the things I saw. Eyes, one big one small; bad eye bags, smirky expression, nice red lips, cheek bone too pronounced ... Once again, out of the first 4 things I saw, 1 positive vs 3 negatives.

When we shoot, we need to see what we are shooting. When we pick pictures to process and keep, we need to choose the best and not be afraid to delete.
Why do I need to be shy of critism? I'm still learning. Give me your best shot, bro. ;)

TS, after looking at your first and second posting, I have no idea where does sexy and gorgeous comes in for these two pics. While I give you the credit for willingness to learn, but these pics posted, I do not see any hint of sexiness or any gorgeous angles of the model.

Take #1. The hair is a mess. Is it because it is wet? The hand in hair pose here does not work. It just seems that she is only posing for the sake of doing so. Eyes are lifeless. They do not seem to portray any sexiness here, much less life. She seems bored at best. One major bugbear for me is the kneeling pose. For this pose, her stomach is protruding out and covering the top part of her shorts. Lest people think that this is a personal attack on the model, please look at the picture. A pose like that is simple but yet very delicate in the sense that the model has to suck it in and not let it all out. In this pose, it DEFINITELY does not flatter the model no matter how pretty she is. For a model to look good in that pose, she has to suck it in and hold till the shot is over. Where is the best feature of the model? That was not brought out in the picture. Suggestion is to try a 2/3 angle on the face rather than square.

For #2, slightly better than the first. But then again the eyes and expression, please do note that I still do not see any sexy and gorgeous you are trying to portray. Key here is to make the model alluring. But for the 2 pics, I do not see that. The figure in the 2 pics are full of straight lines. That does not make the model look sexy.

To me unfortunately, sad to say, these pics are not flattering the model. Even though you may be paying the model or the model is a friend of yours. The thing here is that the pictures you take of them should 1) flatter her and 2) accentuate her femininity. At the same time, a picture like this, especially a swimsuit shot, you as a photographer should help her see her beauty and not flaws. A swimsuit, especially a two piece one, DOES NOT hide flaws. It shows them. A word of advice: if you want to go into portraiture, try to shoot normal fashion first. Glamour shots where swimsuits are concerned, have a degree of difficulty where upon basics must be built. The basics should be normal fashion first before going into glamour shots.
Thanks for the tips.

i think one of the very very basics of shooting models is finding the one which fits into what you want to achieve. according to your title, she's really a far cry sad to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.