Separate Hygrometer vs LCD readout on Digicabi

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Just got myself a DHC-80 (If i remember the model no. correctly), basically its the 80L version of the DIGICABI bought in a MO here.

I noticed that the LCd readout and the readout on my separate hygrometer differes by about 3% or so. Which is more accurate and which should I follow?

On a separate note, it seems that the Digicabi is so good that even though I set it at 50%, it can slowly go down to 40% even with the door open. I had to put in a little cup of water inside the cabinet to make it 50%.

Strange....

I'm using the DHC-80 from DigiCabi also.

I've never gotten a hygrometer (seperately) to test the readout. But from my understanding is that the readings will differ by +3 degrees for digital cabinets. So I presume it's normal and flactuations happens on and off. I set my cabinet to run at 48% so that it will still stay within the recommended humidity level.

Mine never went down below when door open, in fact it only goes up. But sometimes at 48%, it can dip to 47% or 45%

Yeap I was astonished when the % reading kept going lower and lower and lower even though i set it at 50%!!

espn said:
I'm using the DHC-80 from DigiCabi also.

I've never gotten a hygrometer (seperately) to test the readout. But from my understanding is that the readings will differ by +3 degrees for digital cabinets. So I presume it's normal and flactuations happens on and off. I set my cabinet to run at 48% so that it will still stay within the recommended humidity level.

Mine never went down below when door open, in fact it only goes up. But sometimes at 48%, it can dip to 47% or 45%

vince123123 said:
Yeap I was astonished when the % reading kept going lower and lower and lower even though i set it at 50%!!
It will drop a bit due to surrounding factors I believe, but dropping a whopping 10% is unheard of (at least in my case) :)

Hmm well I set it at 50% and I saw it drop all the way to 43% or 42% and I put the cup of water in quickly

espn said:
It will drop a bit due to surrounding factors I believe, but dropping a whopping 10% is unheard of (at least in my case) :)

Might be spoilt hygrometer, call up digi hub.

is it because you are in a air-con room, which has a lower humidity inside the room than the cabinet?

zcf said:
is it because you are in a air-con room, which has a lower humidity inside the room than the cabinet?
i suspect so as well.. most hygrometers are in the range of 10% differences and the marketing strategy will list it as +/- 5% to make it look nicer. If you want really accurate hygrometers will cost you several hundred dollars easily.

Professional hygrometers have tolerances in the range of +/- 2% at (0-60%RH) and 3% at (61-95%RH) and costs >$1K.

+/-3% for the hygrometer in the digi-cab is quite an impressive performance!

vince123123 said:
Hmm well I set it at 50% and I saw it drop all the way to 43% or 42% and I put the cup of water in quickly

switch off your air con... test again.

i tink it's not realistic to expect clinically accurate RH values based on the commercially available meters, but they shd not differ by too much....afterall the cam doesn't need to know if the RH is 45.1427% or 42.3487%:bsmilie:
vince123123 said:
I noticed that the LCd readout and the readout on my separate hygrometer differes by about 3% or so. Which is more accurate and which should I follow?

I juz got the DHC-060 from digicabi myself. I set it at 47%, and it stays around dat range. Mine at most raises by a few % if I leave the door open for a while. Doesnt make sense to go down unless the air in your room is drier than your dry cabi! :bsmilie:

I did ask previously on how we know the hygrometer is accurate. No answers to dat. haha...Although I heard some recommend to recalibrate the hygrometer at least once a yr.

don't put water in dry box.
you will spoil it.
you are stressing the drying component.

like putting in a hot kettle of boiling water inside a fridge.
no meaning.

if hygro meter goes down 10º RH with door open, the meter is gone.

I have separate RH meter to test my dry box meters.just to see if they are working. I am not bothered if 3º RH diff. Who cares? what I want is general range, no precision drying function.

just bought brand new toyo living dry box and the meter was not working.
no big deal. just remove the hygrometer bring to Cathay and they replaced it with another one immediately, no questions asked.

the replacement worked fine.
nothing wrong with the dry box.

Do a salt test to calibrate your hygrometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.