Seems DSLR marketing has shifted.

LOL!!!

I think DSLR has shifted to become fashion statement instead.. btw, what is Ta Ker Ta?:sweat:
old-mobile-phone.jpg

hahaha! i got siemens S10 and c25 and i thought those are electronic bricks already.. haha!

But it seems to me that most people that hang this piece of necklace around their neck uses it in Auto mode, whats the point..?

I shoot professionally. I dont see why i cant use AUTO leh?

If you drive a car for a living, doesnt mean that you have to drive manual right? :bsmilie:

If you drive a car for a living, doesnt mean that you have to drive manual right? :bsmilie:
so can I use auto color, auto level, auto contrast to post processing my images?

that's great, I can post processing thousand of images with batch action. ;)

I'm waiting for the day a proper 6x6 Hassy MF with digital back would be the cost of current DSLR :bsmilie:

10years I think :)

don't think in 10 years la...

there is simply no drive to mass market a hassleblad MF, how many xmm you know will walk around with a 6x6 MF on their necks... their necks will hurt.

Cant understand why people despise auto mode ..just because one shoot "manual" mode does not make one pro .. if auto mode can give u the result u want which is "wow" photo, then why not ...

Most racing cars are now running semi auto gearboxes .. does this make the drivers less professional ...

there is simply no drive to mass market a hassleblad MF, how many xmm you know will walk around with a 6x6 MF on their necks... their necks will hurt.

It's not about hanging around the neck, it's about holding it in front of their faces (for most of them at least - not everyone is like your gf)

they will walk ard in 6" heels, so its a matter of convincing them its the latest fahsioin..

I dun understand how come manual mode is for professional only, i find auto mode gives me the creeps as i dun know what to expect from the camera. Manual mode is way more reliable, you control the thing (camera), not let it tell you what it thinks right?

It's not about hanging around the neck, it's about holding it in front of their faces (for most of them at least - not everyone is like your gf)

the other day i was walking about orchard road, i am wondering why people have their cameras hanging around neck in departmental stores...

the other day i was walking about orchard road, i am wondering why people have their cameras hanging around neck in departmental stores...

haha. good neck excercise

I dun understand how come manual mode is for professional only, i find auto mode gives me the creeps as i dun know what to expect from the camera. Manual mode is way more reliable, you control the thing (camera), not let it tell you what it thinks right?

that too is artificial, because when you are using manual mode, you are still letting it think for you when metering.

it is arguable that there is no real disconnection from technology - some people seem to strut around thinking that manual mode is the way to go because they seem very macho, telling a small camera what to do... but that's not true, especially if they can't seem to expose right, because all they do is dial in values that make the meter say '0'.

why go along this line? we only care about the results. it is more important to understand your equipment to push it to do what you want. if you have a half-baked crap camera that only focuses in a certain way, and that's all you can afford, you should be focusing on mastering the equipment so that you can give maximum results based on the limiting factor here.

auto mode, manual mode, as long as you can give me something that works well, i couldn't care less. the worst thing is when you just claim to use manual mode happily and "drive the machine"... and you don't understand it at all, and then complain that the camera metering mode sucks... when the camera is just a small machine.

Yeah true, it's a very nice piece of necklace I suppose, but when they use it it's just putting the lens in front of their face. I find the ergonomics of DSLRs too weird for this purpose, but I suppose people do have their way of camwhoring with DSLRs.

well, I kinda like the fact that ALOT people are getting DSLRs,
that makes the prices go lower!

I get a DSLR cause I enjoy using one, and it suits my way of shooting,
and not cause DSLR seems out of reach for alot of people, and makes u looks pro (in the past), just like how people used to buy expensive PDA phones when all they do is just make phone calls and sms! :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Yeah true, it's a very nice piece of necklace I suppose, but when they use it it's just putting the lens in front of their face. I find the ergonomics of DSLRs too weird for this purpose, but I suppose people do have their way of camwhoring with DSLRs.

actually, i see a lot of them using the lcd....

but hey, it's getting old, this bitching about the people who BBB cameras without knowing how to use it. i also buy computers where i don't maximize the capabilities, i also buy an iphone without using all its features, and i sometimes also indulge in expensive food, and end up feeling that i cannot fully appreciate or understand why people are waxing lyrical about it.

yes, it's funny, but i don't think we should spend much more time in our lives deliberating about why they are spending that money. it's THEIR money after all, and it's worth a good laugh or two when we want to take a lighter look at the world.. but beyond that, it's nothing new. :bsmilie:

I dont think it is appropriate to go into manual vs auto debate, cause that is not the purpose of this thread. What i see is that over the last 5 years, technology has shifted the landscape of cameras. The advancements once only found in high end cameras are now made available in semi pros and even entry level cameras. Marketing people have capitalized on this and thus we now see marketing campaigns touting "pro capabilities in entry level cameras & great shot every shot". Cameras have not only gotten better but have also gotten smarter, thus user intervention is further reduced to a point where if u chose to shoot in auto mode, the camera will still produce good quality pictures - correct exposure, sharp focus etc. Thus .. pro looking pictures and how everyone can take great shots propaganda.

. if you have a half-baked crap camera that only focuses in a certain way, and that's all you can afford, you should be focusing on mastering the equipment so that you can give maximum results based on the limiting factor here.

auto mode, manual mode, as long as you can give me something that works well, i couldn't care less. the worst thing is when you just claim to use manual mode happily and "drive the machine"... and you don't understand it at all, and then complain that the camera metering mode sucks... when the camera is just a small machine.

this is insightful. something many people have yet to realize. i've seen too many ppl blaming camera limitations. perhaps when shooting in extreme conditions, equipments will play a significant difference. but normal circumstances it hardly matters.

I'm also seeing the DSLR as a fashion statement.

The teenagers will use the DSLR like a necklace and not put it into their bag even in the bus.

Last edited:
I'm also seeing the DSLR as a fashion statement.

The teenagers with use the DSLR like a necklace and not put it into their bag even in the bus.

this is something that i don't like the most.. I don't really care about which mode they use.. I use manual all the time simply because my lenses don't support any other modes, but i did shoot in auto before, especially for casual shots and snapshots when i went to my relatives house.. So, it doesn't really matter which modes they use..

But, i don't like it when teenagers showing off their DSLRs.. Why can't they put them inside their bags? The whole world doesn't need to know that they also own the latest "fashion" by letting the expensive DSLRs dangling from their neck..

I think the shift of market for DSLR has got to do with some reasons..
Today's technology has enable the manufacturers to produce DSLRs that can match the capabilities of slightly older, but higher end models with a significantly lower price tags..
Secondly, especially among teenagers and those who abide by the fashion police rules, the pressure of seeing others having the latest DSLRs making them wanting to buy one as well, leading to the manufacturers reaping huge amount of profits for RnD to go back to the first point.. well.. that's how i feel it.. just saying.. :)

You don't have long to wait.

Seagull camera is putting a 22MP sensor on its twin-lens reflect camera: :)

seagull.jpg

Ok, i fell for that one. i was staring hard at the Seagull (thinking "wow, for real?") until i realized who posted it. Shame on me.