Scratched Flash Head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabiaN__

Dec 1, 2005
Hey all, I just purchased a Speedlite 430EX II recently and I realised that there are two little scratches on the flash head. I think I didn't check the stuff thoroughly enough before I left the store. :(

I wanna know if there would be any problems coming from a scratched flash head. I did take a few photos with the flash and it looks ok to me. Another thing would be the AF-assist lamp. Will it get scratched easily too ah? :confused:

Thanks for advice!!! :)

Don't worry about getting scratches on your flash, it won't affect its light output.. Yellowing of the plastic frensel lens, major cracks, abnormally slow recharge etc. would be your concern..

Don't worry about getting scratches on your flash, it won't affect its light output.. Yellowing of the plastic frensel lens, major cracks, abnormally slow recharge etc. would be your concern..

Agreed. I dropped my 580EXII 5 times (whoops, don't buy a flash from me :p) before and it works perfectly except for very slight exterior scratches, both on the body and the flash head.

just gaffer your flash if you're worried it'll be stratched further.

Fresnel lens as in the piece of lens @ the flash head? Haha sorry ah, I'm a noob here.. :D

Agreed. I dropped my 580EXII 5 times (whoops, don't buy a flash from me :p) before and it works perfectly except for very slight exterior scratches, both on the body and the flash head.

Wah, then like that I will "blacklist" you already.. LOL just kidding. Hmmm okie, glad to hear that the scratches won't affect the output of the flash. It makes me feel better..

just gaffer your flash if you're worried it'll be stratched further.

Ahhh must buy gaffer tape soon liao. Heh heh.. actually I'm ok if the body gets scratches. But I cannot gaffer the flash head right? Wait the light kena blocked mah.. :S

Thanks everybody for the response!

Last edited:
Hey all, I just purchased a Speedlite 430EX II recently and I realised that there are two little scratches on the flash head. I think I didn't check the stuff thoroughly enough before I left the store. :(

I wanna know if there would be any problems coming from a scratched flash head. I did take a few photos with the flash and it looks ok to me. Another thing would be the AF-assist lamp. Will it get scratched easily too ah? :confused:

Thanks for advice!!! :)

Best to keep it wrapped in bubble wraps and in the dry cabinet. No more scratches.

If you decide that you are not a gear head but a photographer, I guarantee you that there will be many more scratches, but, you will be enjoying the result of your work, memorable images. Or, you can enjoy looking at the flash in bubble wrap, sitting securely in the dry cabinet. Oh btw, don't forget to bubble warp you camera and lens.

Best to keep it wrapped in bubble wraps and in the dry cabinet. No more scratches.

If you decide that you are not a gear head but a photographer, I guarantee you that there will be many more scratches, but, you will be enjoying the result of your work, memorable images. Or, you can enjoy looking at the flash in bubble wrap, sitting securely in the dry cabinet. Oh btw, don't forget to bubble warp you camera and lens.

Even better...wrap with pillow!Hahaha! I agree with DP! Sooner or later you'll get scratches on your gear. It's inevitable. My 4 year-old 580EXs have countless scratches but have served me well. No problems till now... Think of the scratches as battle scars. ;)

Is this your solution to every problems? :dunno:

No make sense lah......

Is this your solution to every problems? :dunno:

No make sense lah......

It does not make any sense when you try to quote me out of context!

People always forget that camera equipement are tools to capture photos, hence meant to be used and abused. As long as it doesn't effect your photos or the functionality, don't sweat it.

People always forget that camera equipement are tools to capture photos, hence meant to be used and abused. As long as it doesn't effect your photos or the functionality, don't sweat it.

Haha.... it give you a reason to BBB again... :bsmilie:

It does not make any sense when you try to quote me out of context!

I mean I don't get the part about wrapping things up in bubble wrap and leaving the camera in the dry cabinet to avoid further scratches. Although this is meant as a joke but it just sounded abit condescending. I am sure TS is an intelligent guy who is concern about the scratch at the front of the fresnel lens affecting the picture quality.

Anyhoo....I meant no disrespect by what I said.

Anyway, had a look at your homepage. Very nice collections.

Fabian, don't worry abt the scratches if they are not cracks.
As long as your flash still fire when trigger then it's good to go!

I haven see anyone gaffering the flash unit yet. While I seen someone putting screen protector on the flash LCD screen. :bsmilie:

Maybe you can consider G-Mask for the flash unit too.

there are two little scratches on the flash head.
:)

when using, better to cover the two scratches with masking tape, so moisture cannot get in
i found black tape (widest type) works best,...

when using, better to cover the two scratches with masking tape, so moisture cannot get in
i found black tape (widest type) works best,...

Sorry, how does 2 little scratches allow moisture to get into the flash unit?

2 scratches won't affect anything lah. If you use a flash unit in the rain, you can cover it with a transparent plastic bag and put it off camera... and it will still work well. So, don't worry about scratches.

I mean I don't get the part about wrapping things up in bubble wrap and leaving the camera in the dry cabinet to avoid further scratches. Although this is meant as a joke but it just sounded abit condescending. I am sure TS is an intelligent guy who is concern about the scratch at the front of the fresnel lens affecting the picture quality.

Anyhoo....I meant no disrespect by what I said.

Anyway, had a look at your homepage. Very nice collections.

At the end of the day, I agree, we need to protect our equipment, but there will be inevitable wer and tear. The only way to avoid that is, to keep them in a safe place and do not touch them. Byh the way, nowadays, these electronic components, they become obsolete fast and value decline as fast. USe it of loose it.

Condescending, nah, sarcastic, maybe, but I then, I am too set in ways to change.

At the end of the day, I agree, we need to protect our equipment, but there will be inevitable wer and tear. The only way to avoid that is, to keep them in a safe place and do not touch them. Byh the way, nowadays, these electronic components, they become obsolete fast and value decline as fast. USe it of loose it.

Condescending, nah, sarcastic, maybe, but I then, I am too set in ways to change.

Can't teach old dog new tricks:bsmilie: Will call you up soon for the lens trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.