SCAM IN CANON BUY/SELL

7D for $500 and 5D3 for $800. Good deal leh. Good price for those wishing to not put in too much money and yet get the very best of APSC and FF.

richiemccaw1 said:
7D for $500 and 5D3 for $800. Good deal leh. Good price for those wishing to not put in too much money and yet get the very best of APSC and FF.

Saw it too (and reported it). Price drop for 5D3.. ! Really gd deal. For $1.3k can get 2 of gd camera ..

Saw it too (and reported it). Price drop for 5D3.. ! Really gd deal. For $1.3k can get 2 of gd camera ..

Actually I'd be happy to cover the seller's airfare from the United States on top of the $1.3k for both cameras. No need box. Will throw away anyway.

No matter what, if I don't know the seller, I make sure the deal is done face to face. Cash on delivery.
See the goods not up to description, don't pay and don't buy. Simple.

This kind of minimum posting rules are not effective because they will just do random replies and still meet minimum post rules and post BnS threads. Not effective at all.

Actually, it will work because it is kind of obvious if they do short random postings within a short period of time.

I agree it is not 100% foolproof but the point is to make it harder like all "security" systems so that the con people will look for other easier targets.

If you restrict posting to minimum 50 posts and 2 months registration, it WILL deter quite a lot of people.

Actually, it will work because it is kind of obvious if they do short random postings within a short period of time.

I agree it is not 100% foolproof but the point is to make it harder like all "security" systems so that the con people will look for other easier targets.

If you restrict posting to minimum 50 posts and 2 months registration, it WILL deter quite a lot of people.

AGREE.... ;)

Random postings does not mean they are not relevant. They can just reply to photo galleries and say simple things like "Great shot", "Awesome". Even with restriction by timing, they will register accounts then wait. Then it will be even less obvious that something is fishy. I rather see ads with 1 or 2 post counts, and be able to discount these sellers right away, than being unsure with multiple postings and 2 months.

In the end, fraudsters will be still be around no matter what "security" we put in place. The most important thing for members is to exercise due care and have some common sense.

Last edited:
Hehe!

I would say that it would be even more fun if we can play along with such scammers.

Anyone ever did Western Union transfer? Perhaps we can share transaction details so that we can copy and paste to play with them by pretending that we have already made payment and let them run around trying to figure out where did the money actually go to..
Haha!

Hmm better dont play with fire bro. Just in case create more trouble than needed. :)

Hehe!

I would say that it would be even more fun if we can play along with such scammers.

Anyone ever did Western Union transfer? Perhaps we can share transaction details so that we can copy and paste to play with them by pretending that we have already made payment and let them run around trying to figure out where did the money actually go to..
Haha!

Thing about western union is that there is zero security at all. as long as they have the transfer ID, name, and address, they can make the withdrawal ANYWHERE in the world.

Someone played with a scammer by sending them a fake macbook (scammer is buying), and declaring the value high, so the scammer had to pay the tax... after a while, the person kenna all kinds of DDOS attacks, virus attacks etc...

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/p-p-p-powerbook

The pdf of the entire episode here... if you have too much time on your hands and bored.
http://pdf.textfiles.com/books/thepowerbook.pdf

Last edited:
I agree with Daredevil on this. Having these minimum posting rules may backfire. IMO If a conman is persistent & intent on scamming , he will work whatever system in place to get his victims. By creating multiple profiles in continuity (so there's effectively no breaks/waiting times) & banging short comments/posts everywhere, the scammer instead acquire, gain some form of credibility. This may give potential victims a false sense of confidence, security & fall head-on into the traps set. Its harder to identify, isolate a web of deceit than short, simple posts.

Maybe a Sticky warning forumners in the relevant buy/sell section would help?

Random postings does not mean they are not relevant. They can just reply to photo galleries and say simple things like "Great shot", "Awesome". Even with restriction by timing, they will register accounts then wait. Then it will be even less obvious that something is fishy. I rather see ads with 1 or 2 post counts, and be able to discount these sellers right away, than being unsure with multiple postings and 2 months.

In the end, fraudsters will be still be around no matter what "security" we put in place. The most important thing for members is to exercise due care and have some common sense.

Last edited:
There are many knowledgeable CSers here. Just keep an open eye to such posts and immediately report to Mods to kill them off.
I know the Mods are very quick to act in these situations. Any other methods as recommended above are not likely to work and make discovery more difficult.