Sad to see people leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can contribute whatever I can, going to drop you that PM, though on Pentax history and all that, not really in the loop.

Good job, dude!=)

Remember Shriro represented Nikon for the longest time and wrested the distributorship from Jebsen & Jessen, the previous Pentax authorised agent, so they ought to know a little bit marketing wise. Either they can't get enough product or their distribution network needs reworking. Even the big retailers like Courts/Mohd Mustafa, etc. don't carry Pentax. A crying shame if you ask me. So even their bus adverts might be useful but would be consumers can't get their products easily enough.

Shriro has been distributing photographic products for ages. They owned the excellent Hasselblad cameras and Imacon Digital backs as well.

However, I can understand why Pentax is having such a low profile. It might be due to budget constraint?

If there is a good budget, I would love to see the following:

1) Pentax Professional Support Center, loaning of cameras for test etc, Been wanting to test the camera in a Fashion editorial/Commercial shoot but Pentax has no such arrangement in Singapore.
2) Pentax photographic annual seminar/exhibition (talks given by renowned Pentax photographers)
3) Pentax supported school/national photographic contest
4) Conversion of top Fashion/Commercial photographers and lecturers in schools to the Pentax camp, so these lot of top professional can share with other Pentax users here
5) Pentax regular gatherings featuring special shoots like fashion, glamour, portraits, nature etc
5) Invitation to Product Launches (Emphasis is on dealers but I dont find the dealers good enough to promote or deal with Professionals on Pentax products)
6) Invitation to joint Samsung events, especially any Schneider Lenses launch in the future since the cameras have some joint development

Others are free to contribute man.

The amount and kind of marketing is limited to brand awareness, not even brand recognition. So while people may have heard of Pentax, they can't quite relate to a defined product. As authorised agents, they really have done a dismal job for some of the brands they represent. What have they done for Hasselblad or Gitzo? Zilch. The brands just sells itself and precious little is done to do more than just move product. Perhaps that's why Nikon assumed control directly themselves... (extract below from the Nikon website)

For over 40 years, Nikon Corporation has worked in cooperation with Shriro, and their expertise and tireless efforts in the marketing and distribution of our imaging products, binoculars, microscopes and measuring instruments. Shriro have made Nikon one of the top names in each product field in the region. Nikon would like to take this opportunity to thank Shriro for its excellent performance.

From April 2001, Nikon will be assuming the marketing and distribution responsibilities for our photographic and electronic imaging products and binoculars as well as our microscopes and measuring instruments in Singapore. We will also take over repair service, ensuring that our customers do not encounter any problems.

Our hope is to maintain the special relationship with dealers and customers that has been carefully cultivated by Shriro over the years. We believe that the new organization will have a positive effect on the strength of Nikon Brand in the region.

Just think of the difference in Nikon's marketing efforts from that time onwards...

sorry...i am hopeless with webpage designs but would it give a local touch if we can add .sg to the back? Just checking. I'm all for any attempt to push Pentax to the forefront...:thumbsup:

The silly problem with adding a .sg in the back is that it will cost about double.

Hmm... Sorry too. I am hopeless in webpage design as I know nothing about it. :embrass:

But I shall give my support if I can. :D

well, i can try and read up on the history of pentax...saw on the UK webby(i think) that showed the cameras(slr) made from 1950s...can direct u guys to it...hmmm, the price list thing is definitely good...hmmm, when the website is up, can those with blogs do a link to it?;p

Status
Not open for further replies.