RSAF Open House 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came back from the open house. Went at 12.30+, left at 4+. There was a very light drizzle when I went with my school. I didn't see anything special this year leh. The mock-exercise was alright, but other than that, there wasn't anything interesting.

Though I did get some close-up wideangle shots of planes / helis and their interiors / arms. That part was quite nice. Using orange-filter over my flash was an awesome idea that I thought of, also because the sky was extremely dull then.

Went in with 30D, 400D, 17-40L, 85 1.8, 55-250IS and 2 flashes. No problem, they scanned everything, and asked to check my bag, looked at the flash, said "That's the one we picked up la" and gave me the thumbs-up.

Just came back from ICT (1 last one more to go woohoos!), Sembawang Airbase. Very knnb wet weather since last week (exercise area also kena flooded like nobody's biz). The weather outlook reports more optimistic than it is on the ground (I have been eyeing the nea website for 2 weeks!) lar....unless you can tahan sort of light drizzle for a couple of hours type. LOL!

CH-47, AH-64 see until sian.

You will need to be there at 0800 latest, else the queue really forms + airport road will jam like crazy. Else you can spend 2-4hrs+ queueing for carpark, shuttle bus, SBS bus, and then at the main entrance. Beyond 0900hrs, taking cab to just outside airport road and walking about 1km to the entrance is the fastest.

By the time you see the !@%!@# queue and wanna abort/turn back, too late and too bad, cannot even return coz you will be stuck in the bus/car/cab. Sayonara.
Bro, last ICT of the 13yr cycle?

I was there in the last Openhouse. The traffic wasn't that bad leh. Went on Sat morning, but didn't get good pic of the flying display, so went again on Sun afternoon, got better pictures.

I guess after 2years, there are more PRs, foreigners with S pass, student pass etc. I guess the majority of them would wanna to see something different. And take lots of pictures. Those who have been there might not want to go again.

Now, there is a saying, You think, I thought, who confirm? On this question of the limit of the lens, 150mm or 500mm. I suspect this might just be some misunderstanding when the instruction was passed down.

Just came back from the open house. Went at 12.30+, left at 4+. There was a very light drizzle when I went with my school. I didn't see anything special this year leh. The mock-exercise was alright, but other than that, there wasn't anything interesting.

Though I did get some close-up wideangle shots of planes / helis and their interiors / arms. That part was quite nice. Using orange-filter over my flash was an awesome idea that I thought of, also because the sky was extremely dull then.

Went in with 30D, 400D, 17-40L, 85 1.8, 55-250IS and 2 flashes. No problem, they scanned everything, and asked to check my bag, looked at the flash, said "That's the one we picked up la" and gave me the thumbs-up.
Wah, bro, you carried 2bodies, 3lenses and 2flashes. :thumbsup: 3kg++ total and walk around for 3hr+.

hmm...i went today..brought a 70-200 lens...no prob.=)

im one of the personnel working at the open house and i confirmed with the RPs today that the limit for lenses is 500mm, not 150mm...

just to allay the fears of those who want to bring in their telephoto lens over the next two days ;)

anyway, today's weather was bad. drizzle and dull skies, not great for photo-taking...

Last weather update for 290808(FRI) from NEA.

The information below is updated twice daily at 5 am and 6 pm (2100 UTC and 1000 UTC respectively)

Issued on 29 Aug 2008

Saturday 31/24 C Cloudy, afternoon showers with thunder over many areas.

Sunday 32/25 C Afternoon showers with thunder.

It doesn't look good.

Priority is to take the photos of the E2C Hawkeye as this will be the last chance that it'll be at the open house before being replaced with the Gulfstream G550.

http://app.nea.gov.sg/data/mss/docs/3dayotlk.htm

Last edited:
Hmm so issit advisable to bring 200mm rather than 55mm? Using Nikon D60.

bring both...
you'll need the 55mm for the displays and the 200mm for the air show =)

Just came back from ICT (1 last one more to go woohoos!), Sembawang Airbase. Very knnb wet weather since last week (exercise area also kena flooded like nobody's biz). The weather outlook reports more optimistic than it is on the ground (I have been eyeing the nea website for 2 weeks!) lar....unless you can tahan sort of light drizzle for a couple of hours type. LOL!

CH-47, AH-64 see until sian.

You will need to be there at 0800 latest, else the queue really forms + airport road will jam like crazy. Else you can spend 2-4hrs+ queueing for carpark, shuttle bus, SBS bus, and then at the main entrance. Beyond 0900hrs, taking cab to just outside airport road and walking about 1km to the entrance is the fastest.

By the time you see the !@%!@# queue and wanna abort/turn back, too late and too bad, cannot even return coz you will be stuck in the bus/car/cab. Sayonara.

so jialat....:think:

well guess i'm the suay one :(

think the guards probably went back to check and today instructions passed down tt it's 500mm... cos i also saw an info sheet a few days ago saying 150mm. and the guard tt i asked today was very quick to say it's 500mm guaranteed even before i asked him '150mm or 500mm'. think they were probably briefed bout ur incident yest ;)

think the guards probably went back to check and today instructions passed down tt it's 500mm... cos i also saw an info sheet a few days ago saying 150mm. and the guard tt i asked today was very quick to say it's 500mm guaranteed even before i asked him '150mm or 500mm'. think they were probably briefed bout ur incident yest ;)

Too bad for us then. Well, at least the complaints made a difference and helped others :think:

well, hope it stays at 500... counting down few more hours to go. :)

Just came back. Limit is 500 so with my 300 there was no problem. But is seems 300 is too short ;-) But it seems anything bigger will remove my arms from joints ;-) Hot like hell, Sun like hell. Nice aerial display (later will post something). And my no. 1 E2-C. Really cool.

I went in the morning. Wow the weather was good but too hot for comfort. Anyway, some photos I've taken just to share.

2810862974_a828bd1f68.jpg

2810016421_a1d339a959.jpg

2810016359_df173e2475.jpg

2810862810_84322eb2e2.jpg

2810862754_185d48832a.jpg

For those that are going tomorrow, they are selling the can drinks at $1.50.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.