[review] Crumpler 5 million dollar home

Hello. This is a review of my new bag, the 5 Million Dollar Home by Crumpler. Hope it helps.

4709430344_0539c9aa1a.jpg

An overview of the bag

Introduction/background

I was in need of a camera bag because I have been carrying them in my messenger bag without any insert and stuffs, yes. I have thought of buying 'inserts' for my messenger bag however they don't come cheap and my messenger was very huge. So, I gave it a miss.

My gear was pretty straight forward: a 400D attached with a Tamron 17-50, a 1.8/50mm prime, a 430EX ext. flash and perhaps, some extra room for my filters, iPod and memeory card.

I was looking at slings/shoulder bags (messenger style) as most of the backpacks were way too big. My budget was around $100

Bags considered
  • Domke F-3X
    This bag would fit my equipment nicely and has a great old-school design. The built was alright with its canvas material. However the price tag was a bit high, well beyond my budget.
  • Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW
    This is basically like a backpack except you sling it. The size is perfect, it fits all my gear perfectly with some extra room for my other stuffs. The only problem is the design itself, which I only realize when my friend pointed out to me. Apparently, you can't sling it on your left shoulder (only on the right). This sucks because you can't change sides when your shoulder got tired.
  • Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home
    This was the bag that has causes me to be in a dilemma. Compared to the 5 Million Dollar Home, this bag is generally bigger and much wider. It also comes with a shoulder pad for greater comfort.
    I eventually opted for the 5 Million over this because I really did not need such a big bag, my gear simply did not require such a big space when I had my gear in the 6 million especially my 50mm which was rather hard to reach for. $30 bucks saved!

Review
My first impression of the bag is —tiny. But, it fits everything like a charm. It is available in 4 colors, black, brown, grey and red. I have my in grey. It costs $100. The design is great, unlike the professional bags (such as Lowepro) which I find rather boring.

The Bag Itself
Despite the fact that the bag is small it is able to hold my 400D body attached with a Tamron 17-50, a 430EX and my 50mm prime! You can easily throw in a bigger lens such as a 70-200, no problem. Fit was snug, so no lose stuff.
4709433200_6fa2f465bb.jpg
4708793403_7e3dc8ef69.jpg

It holds everything nicely​

The bag comes with 2 customizable velcro divider so in all you have 3 compartment. I had my flash and lens on the side and the camera in the center with the lens facing downwards.

When you open up the flap, there is a 'mesh' compartment with zipper. I had my battery and memory card there. Towards the front of the camera is another compartment, secured by velcro for your other stuffs such as iPod.

4708789681_e5798656ab.jpg
4708791035_b6ef3e707f.jpg

As you can see the mesh pocket on the left is good for some small item such as memory cards (left) You can probably have your iPod or your phone here in the front pocket (right)​

Once you are done, you close the flap and the velcro will keep in secure. However it is extremely noisy when opening it as many Crumpler owner knows. So, the respond from Crumpler was a 'Silencer'. It works by having another layer of velcro covering it, so once you close the flap, it would not be expose to any velcro and you have to secure the flap using the 2 buckles outside.

4708791585_6be53c6b4a.jpg

The red piece of fabric covering the velcro is the 'silencer' in action so by covering the velcro, the velcro is killed

The noisy velcro is not exactly a bad think if you look at it from another side, it provides sercurity. Nobody would be able to open it without you knowing, this is especially good if you are going to crowded places. I must say Crumpler is genius.

Built Quality

The built quality is adequate, I would say. I don't really know what material it is made of but it has water resistant 900D shell. I have no experience of it in the rain though. But it is certainly not water proof but rather water resistant.

All zips and buckle are smooth.

Usage

The strap was comfortable after a day of shooting even without the shoulder pad, of course, a shoulder pad would be appreciated. The bag was definitely inconspicuous. My friend did not know I had camera in my bag until I took it out.

Conclusion
This bag is perfect for people with a simple camera set-up and wants a day bag. I would say this bag is fabulous at this price. I can't ask for more.

Pros
  1. Easily holds a camera and 2 lens
  2. Trendy design, makes it inconspicuous
  3. Bag of perfect size for a day shot
  4. Reasonable built quality
  5. Good price
Cons
  1. Once it's fully pack, there's not much room left for other stuffs
  2. Needs a shoulder pad
  3. I can't stop looking at the bag ;)

5/5

Updates
Those who are curious how much it costs, I bought it at $100 from TK Foto. (as of 17 June 2010) The boutique has a 10% off now but it was still a full $8 more expensive than TK. –24 June 2010

Sorry if the photographs are crap, I took them with my iPhone.

Last edited:
You can get a shoulder pad if you get the Canon version!

Nice review. Thanks for sharing.:)

I have 1 question though. Can it fit a body with a vertical grip attached?:think:

Cons
Once it's fully pack, there's not much room left for other stuffs
Needs a shoulder pad
I can't stop looking at the bag
The 4th con (for all the crumpler bags): Velcro makes wayyy tooooo much noise when you open the bag, rendering the bag difficult to use for unobtrusive photography. But then again, for unobtrusive photography such as street photography, you don't normally carry a bag haha.

Congrats on your purchase anyway :)

Nice review. Thanks for sharing.:)

I have 1 question though. Can it fit a body with a vertical grip attached?:think:

Yes, it can! But it'll be pretty tight for the other items. (I use the Canon version of the 5 Million)

The 4th con (for all the crumpler bags): Velcro makes wayyy tooooo much noise when you open the bag, rendering the bag difficult to use for unobtrusive photography. But then again, for unobtrusive photography such as street photography, you don't normally carry a bag haha.

Congrats on your purchase anyway :)

The new ones have the velcro silencer right?

Yes, it can! But it'll be pretty tight for the other items. (I use the Canon version of the 5 Million)

Thks Bro. Really looks enticing:devil:. Will go down to the stores to have a closer look.:)

my experience with crumpler bags are that the straps(near the buckle where you lengthen and shorten the strap) cause your clothes to fur.

If you go Vietnam, there got alot of cheap Crumpler bag

The new ones have the velcro silencer right?
really? mine is the new 6MDH but there aren't any silencers. But crumpler bags are still pretty good

my experience with crumpler bags are that the straps(near the buckle where you lengthen and shorten the strap) cause your clothes to fur.
It's the rough texture of the bag itself too. I limit myself to a couple of shirts when using the crumpler.

If you go Vietnam, there got alot of cheap Crumpler bag

how is the quality of the Crumpler bags there compared the one reviewed here?

Anyone knows crumpler "made in where" now?