Resonablely priced (aka cheap) Medium Format camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurblock

May 30, 2003
ytphoto.clubsnap.org
May I know where to get a cheap medium format camera and it's flim? Never tried Medium format before, thus I would not know if it would suit me....... just want to play with one.....

Any new comer to medium format, especially the TLR normally encounters some form of problems in one way of another. A limited amount of trial and error with some initial guidance from someone is therefore neccessary.

You need to know how to load the film, get used to the manual winding process after each shot, and also the unique way to remove the film cassette in the dark bag ( peeling away the double layer).

Getting a cheap medium format may not sounds like such a good idea particularly for item such as Lubitel or Seagull ( which I think fits your search) - which are prone to mechanical failure fortuitously.

The two entry level TLR are from the communist world ( centrally planned economy from factory of state owned enterprise with the key objectives of jobs creation to their people)

Its is built like a "tank" for the Seagull and is fully mechanical which has a high tendency of breaking down ( if buy as used) particularly the mechanical gadgets.

The lubitel are prone to light leakage problem and need experience to rectify them.

These are some of the issues to contend with. No doubt the lubitel has one of the sharpest Russian len and so is the Seagull.

It is my humble opinion for new comer to invest in a robust Seagull or if you more exploratory type, then I think Lubitel may possibly be a good choice because of the low price.

imho, get a reasonably good one to try. they give better result and are less prone to breakdown (seagulls are good but not lubitels). go for a mid prized rolleiflex TLR or something equivalent. go for a MF SLR like bronica, mamiya if you are willing to spend more for the flexibility that comes with them. and a hasselblad or rolleiflex if you must have them.

if you are worry about resale, most reputable TLRs and MFs hold their values quite well and depreciation is low or minimal.

chyeo is selling a Kiev 88 set for a song. This is a Hasselblad copy. Should be good for those wanting to start out on MF at minimal cost.

Ansel said:
chyeo is selling a Kiev 88 set for a song. This is a Hasselblad copy. Should be good for those wanting to start out on MF at minimal cost.

thanks ansel! yup do check out my kiev 88 set in buy and sell. great set at low price! ;)

Hehe.... after so many comments from all, I had decided to stick with 35mm first ... until I can be proficent enough in it before I go on to Medium format .... than you :).

Status
Not open for further replies.