Rental of NX5

chanxj

Sep 4, 2006
Singapore......
www.xjavprod.com
Hey guys,

Anyone has any idea who has Sony NX5 inventory for rental? Called around for those I know and no one seems to have it.

Cheers
XJ

havent found one yet. Rented a EX1 instead. Maybe I should buy one since my regular cam op who i work with already has one......

The bigger rental companies seem to think that NXCAMs and small sensor AVCHD format prosumer camcorders will not be popular.

Well link it up with a aja ki mini and record to prores422, I think its a good lightweight package. The strength is in its hd-sdi output.

NX5 + Ki Pro Mini + ultra fast 64gb CF Card = about $8K+ solution to record in a more superior codec like ProRES422.
With all the hassle of rigging up, sorting out power supply, etc, I'd rather choose to shoot with a XDCAM EX or DVCProHD / AVCIntra cam with better native recording... :)

Having said that, if you're in to long form recording requirements with no problems compromising on resolution/quality, then the NX5 will be a cheaper and ideal option.

Why not go for Atomos Ninja or Samurai? Its cheap Recorder player and monitor records in apple pro res.

blackmidnight: The atomos sales support is quite terok lehz....... They dun reply emails one. Furthermore no official distributor here. Technically should be competent set though esp with the powerful FPGA processing.

Dixon: Ya, the cost adds up, but when you look at the options around, quite very few cameras can do 20x zoom in such a small package (of course some image quality sacrifice). Even the ex1r and ex3 can't even do it. We got a pair of ex3 fitted with the canon 20x zooms for a integration project, it was so heavy that they didn't bother using it most of the time even for tripod mounted ops if its not needed :p

then i think you should wait for AG-AC160 or HPX250 from panasonic. 22x zoom i think, with HDSDI output.

Currently I use Nikon lens adaptor for super telephoto purposes.
Can achieve more than 22x technically, and definitely cheaper than buying a Canon 20x ENG Lens or one with 2x extender.
MTFAdaptor02.jpg

Last edited:
then i think you should wait for AG-AC160 or HPX250 from panasonic. 22x zoom i think, with HDSDI output.

Currently I use Nikon lens adaptor for super telephoto purposes.
Can achieve more than 22x technically, and definitely cheaper than buying a Canon 20x ENG Lens or one with 2x extender.
MTFAdaptor02.jpg

Hmm the 160 and 250 looks interesting. didn't catch that news earlier. Not sure abt the panasonic sensors though, as those cameras that I have seen so far, it seems to me sony performs slightly better in low light.