Registering a Web Domain Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mapman

Jan 22, 2003
Eunos
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting my own domain name (ie. www.domainname.com). Any recommendation on a cost effective and yet reliable domain registration company?

Thanks!

Mapman said:
I'm thinking of getting my own domain name (ie. www.domainname.com). Any recommendation on a cost effective and yet reliable domain registration company?

Thanks!

if u wish to get something with .sg, try http://www.nic.net.sg/sub_domain_registrations/introduction.html

i think for high level - ie. .com, .org etc, u might have to do it thru some US website. shop ard and see wat are the prices.... in US$ !! :bigeyes:

search 'domain name registry' in yahoo! and u shld get a list of them in US.

Strongly recommend you register your domain name seperately from your webhost.

Some webhosts have actually been known to hold your domain name hostage when you get them 'bundled', and refuse to release them when you want to move to a different webhost.

Sorry, I'm pretty new to this web registration thingy... :embrass:

If I register my domain name with enom and subscribe to a local web hosting package, how do I point the domain name to the web hosting server?

slowmail said:
Strongly recommend you register your domain name seperately from your webhost.
Some webhosts have actually been known to hold your domain name hostage when you get them 'bundled', and refuse to release them when you want to move to a different webhost.
Agreed. I'm not that keen to let the webhost register the domain name. I've heard of stories where the webhost forgot abt the domain renewal and the domain was taken over by CyberSquatters! :bigeyes:

1) The original poster only asked for domain name registration companies.
2) Parts of this thread have been removed due to violation of our Terms of Use
3) Please re-read ClubSNAP's Updated Terms of Use especially point 8 in this case.

My US-based domain company has a feature for users to key-in the Pri and Sec DNS server names of the webhoster (that is if they are not one and the same). Even if there isn't a user-interface for this, you can always arrange with your webhoster to point it to the DNS server. The advantage of getting domain & hosting with the same company is that this would have been done for you right from the beginning.

I registered a .com and hosted at a US-based hoster.. has been a little over a year since and have no complains so far. not that expensive for a plan with 2GB HDD space and 30GB monthly transfer bandwidth. Although Singapore-based webhoster has better speed when accessed locally, the monthly cost is simply too high for me to bear after all it is just a personal site for me to host files and email accounts for my family. However hosting on Singapore sites would also mean having a more responsive technical support. Therefore when chosing a foreign hoster it is best to do some research so that you know this isn't mom and pop 2-man operation that is low on price and quality as well.

Triton said:
My US-based domain company has a feature for users to key-in the Pri and Sec DNS server names of the webhoster (that is if they are not one and the same). Even if there isn't a user-interface for this, you can always arrange with your webhoster to point it to the DNS server. The advantage of getting domain & hosting with the same company is that this would have been done for you right from the beginning.

I registered a .com and hosted at a US-based hoster.. has been a little over a year since and have no complains so far. not that expensive for a plan with 2GB HDD space and 30GB monthly transfer bandwidth. Although Singapore-based webhoster has better speed when accessed locally, the monthly cost is simply too high for me to bear after all it is just a personal site for me to host files and email accounts for my family. However hosting on Singapore sites would also mean having a more responsive technical support. Therefore when chosing a foreign hoster it is best to do some research so that you know this isn't mom and pop 2-man operation that is low on price and quality as well.

2 Gigs with 30 GB bandwidth is unusual. The webhost most probably oversell its server IMO. :)

Look at this way, many companies or educational institue prefer their sites to host in the states as it provides good international reach out. USA host has better bandwidth than Singapore but due to location e.g singapore to USA there is a lag in about 180ms. The bottleline is what is your goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.